Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching, but didn't get a very clear answer ;)

At what age can I take Callie to get her hips and elbows checked out? I know she'll NEVER be bred and she's not a quality doberman (She's a quality family member though!) but I'd like to have her fully health tested, especially her joints since she will be a working dog. I understand holter/echo at two and then annually thereafter. Also, when do you start testing thyroid?

Thanks so much guys :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks S&MM, Thats where I got my cardiac testing info :) I was wondering about the other testing, namely joints and thyroid.

Reactions: HerMewMew

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I really don't think there's a set age for thyroid. Perhaps around age 2 you can incorporate it as part of her wellness visit. If you see signs of issues before 2, then I would have it done sooner.

When you say 'joints', I assume you're referring to hips, elbows, yes?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. There's an OFA clinic north of us once or twice a month that I'd like to go to eventually.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much :)

·
Super Moderator
21,908 Posts
As far as thyroid screening goes, I personally run a "senior panel" on both dogs yearly. I also run a full thyroid panel in addition to that. I started those at age 2 with Shanoa.

Reactions: longshot4me

·
Registered
716 Posts
:p24 months is the youngest I was told by our vet.
To get the certification I was also told the dog would be put under with anistasia... Sorry about the typo!

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
This really varies by vet. None of my dogs have ever been sedated to have their hips xrayed.
What sort of training do you do with your dogs to get them comfortable with being handled for X-rays while awake? I would love to get Elsie done before she starts agility, but no idea what the process is like? Do they lie on their tummy or back? Legs stretched out?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
What sort of training do you do with your dogs to get them comfortable with being handled for X-rays while awake? I would love to get Elsie done before she starts agility, but no idea what the process is like? Do they lie on their tummy or back? Legs stretched out?
They're xrayed on their back, with their hind legs fully extended.

I've never done any kind of training for this. I guess if a dog flipped out and wouldn't be cooperative, we'd sedate. That's never happened to me, tho.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
They're xrayed on their back, with their hind legs fully extended.

I've never done any kind of training for this. I guess if a dog flipped out and wouldn't be cooperative, we'd sedate. That's never happened to me, tho.
Yep. It's over so quickly for OFA xrays that we get the reading really quick and with the digital technology, we can see if it's a good shot or not. It took a few guys to hold Niz down and stretch out his legs (he did NOT like being flipped by having his legs taken out from under him and tried to bolt), but it was over super quick and we didn't need to sedate. For Pennhip I believe sedation is required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts