Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post some pics of my crew and I hanging out in the back yard after work and hear what everyone else does when they get home if they have to be seperated all day. We go for about a 20 minute walk through some local woods that end at a comunnity park where we throw the frisbee and ball for about 15 minutes. When we return we like to sit on the back deck and drink some water to eliminate some of the Sasha drool.

·
Registered
416 Posts
After work, we go for a long walk. We push ourselves to go a little further, or jog a little more. Usually takes about an hour.

When we get back home, I blast the AC and the fan while we lay on the rug together to cool down. Here's a picture of him pooped out from our walk last week:

Then it's time for Duke to eat dinner and is treated with a rawhide or bully stick. While he's occupied, I prepare dinner before the hubby gets home.

Once he is home, it's my time to watch TV, surf the web, read...etc. while the hubby works on training or rough housing with Duke'ems.

Then it's lights out...life sounds boring, but routine is good. :p

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Our week nights vary. Mondays of late I've had vet acupuncture appts. for the one cat, so it's not a very exciting evening as far as Ivan is concerned. Some nights we'll go over to his BFF's and he'll run around on 38 acres with her for three hours or so. Other nights it's an hour long walk. Some nights it's SAR training. For a while it was either agility or obedience training one night a week. Probably won't start up with one of those again until end of summer. When we did water training Ivan had a blast playing fetch in the river, so I need to find a good spot on the river near where I live for him to play fetch more often. And some nights it's just playing with his soccer ball in the backyard.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I work full time with a 2 hour commute so I don't get much daylight with the dogs after work, but generally we:

-hang out by the pool and relax to the sound of the waterfall
-veg out in my bedroom, they're sprawled out on my bed while I'm on the computer
-play with the flirt pole and frisbee/ball in the front yard to get prime's energy out

A couple times a week I will kill myself and load them up as soon as I walk in the door and take them out on the town to get out. We'll either go to a dog park, a human park, petco and petsmart, Starbucks, pantera bread, or chipotle.

Occasionally I'll take them to meet up with our Dobie owner group right after work.

Basically my social life has gone to the dogs, but hey, I signed up for it.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Our after work routine is...

I race home, cut up treats, change shoes, put the necessities in the "dog bag", collar and leash the dogs, and head to the training club where we train for anywhere from 2-4 hours. Depending on what time we get home from training sometimes we'll play around in the backyard for a bit and take a walk, sometimes it's so late we just relax, eat, and crash. That's Monday thru Thursday. Friday is more low-key. No formal class so I take my time loading the dogs and getting to the club. Set up the equipment we're going to use then train with each dog for about an hour, play in the big field next to the club for 30-min to an hour after training. Then home to relax - play in the backyard, make dinner, cuddle on the sofa.

ZeldaRules - I hear ya about your social life going to the dogs. BF has started coming to training with us a few times per week otherwise I don't see him until 9:00 or 10:00 thru the week. And I've been training for around 4-hours on Saturdays and Sundays recently too, so we barely see each other. I'm running Fiona in a fun run this weekend hosted by my club (mock agility trial for practice) and I didn't realize it was the same time as one of his friend's wedding on Saturday...oops. LOL He informed me last night he supports me training but he warned me in advance that he'll be less than happy if I don't at least make it to the reception after Fi's run. LOL So I'm on notice with the SO right now for all my dog time. :poster_oops:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I work at home (for now...this will change soon....I hope!) so I take a break every 2 hours and spend some time with them. I work in the garage. Yesterday, Chloe was kind enough to bring me a frog to the door! The frog was re located to an area she could not get to...he looked unharmed. And he did not pee in her mouth....Thankfully!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
My schedule is a bit like BRW's.

Monday is a free day so after work they run like banshees through the lawn and I take them each for an individual walk around the neighborhood. Then it's dinner, then bully stick/couch time before we go to bed.

Tuesday-Friday we train.

And generally on the weekends we have some event or go up to the local dog beach club for swimming. Unfortunately that doesn't leave much time for me to do things that I'd really like to do, but the dogs are happy so it works.

Reactions: Sashagirl

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
My after work depends on how Griffin's doing. If he's tired that day, we'll do a leisurely stroll around the block, then come home and enjoy dinner. If it's a good day, we'll go for a longer walk or hike in the park, then come back for dinner. We're starting some Nosework again next month, which is an hour once a week.

When he was younger, and pre-Wobblers, it was take a long, fast walk, go to work, get home, take a run, train train train, dinner, then he'd be out of energy. Time's flown.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I have NO social life, since I'm technically single and independent, 100% of Chase's needs rest on me.

After work, there is no time to kick off my shoes after standing for 8 hours, once I'm in the house I prepare dinner for Chase (I soak his kibble) then I grab his leash and off we go for about 1.5-2hrs by that time it's 8pm, I have my dinner while I wait for Chase to cool off. Once he had his dinner, he gets a knuckle bone, bully stick, or a tug-a-jug full of goodies. We both relax in bed till about 11pm :)

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have NO social life, since I'm technically single and independent, 100% of Chase's needs rest on me.

After work, there is no time to kick off my shoes after standing for 8 hours, once I'm in the house I prepare dinner for Chase (I soak his kibble) then I grab his leash and off we go for about 1.5-2hrs by that time it's 8pm, I have my dinner while I wait for Chase to cool off. Once he had his dinner, he gets a knuckle bone, bully stick, or a tug-a-jug full of goodies. We both relax in bed till about 11pm :)
I'm right there with ya! I must say that I am glad to see I'm not the only one without a social life. I always get a bunch of BS at work because I spend so much time and money on Sasha, so My comeback is always " it's such a small price to pay when you consider how blessed I am to have such a beautiful girl". I am really fortunate to be able to take Sasha to work with me 3 days out of the week, not sure what she would do without that, I think it really cuts down the amount of time she needs in the evening time
I must say though dobe's have to be the highest maintance dogs around, but Even knowing this to include the amount of money and time needed, along with all of the heart ache that comes along with the longevity issues I will never own another breed

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Social life belonging to the dogs here too.:rolleyesww:

Luckily I'm working only half days for the summer, and SO works rotating shifts. When he is home during the day I usually try to run errands and stuff like grocery shopping those evenings. The other days I come home and its the crate/rotate game. We are currently fostering a fearful/timid shepherd mix and he doesn't get to be out with Rowan, so I try to give them each fair amounts of time/exercise out. I also have a 3 month old puppy I'm fostering, but she gets along with everyone so she gets to stay out and play. I spend my weekends carting dogs with me (I try to bring at least one wherever I go) since I try to keep them uncrated as much as possible. We go to run in my P's huge yard, adoptions shows on Saturdays and other dog friendly places and events. We are not enrolled in training class right now, but that is on the agenda for the near future.

·
Premium Member
8,445 Posts
Right now I am off for the summer as I teach school. So my days are filled with household chores and going to summer workshops. Roxy and I go for morning walks as it gets too hot for either of us later in the day. During the school year, my husband comes home daily for lunch and Roxy gets to go outside and wanders the yard. I get home play with Roxy in the yard. Get her dinner ready then I work out. Evening walk or play again in the yard.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Lack of Social Life yep that is me...

My daily routine has changed since I now have a backyard!!!!

Get off work, drive through the international speedway (or so everyone in the town thinks it is...) come home let Jones out in the backyard. Change into something comfortable, then we go on a 1.5mile walk/jog/run depends on how we feel AKA the weather. Then come back to the backyard do some weave poles and mock Frisbee AKA I throw he chases it stops he says come get it.

Then Dinner time and veg on the couch... that is the typical day here

Jonesy and his new very own backyard!!!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
My work schedule depends on my clients, I'm a massage therapist so I can have 1 client or upwards to 6. On my slow days I take Odin just about anywhere depending on the weather. We go to the lake, or to an open field where we throw the ball around. We go to the pet store for him to smell all the smells and get spoiled by the employees. Sometimes we go to the dog park and my dads house since he lives so close.

My social life is pretty good, I have friends come over but of course they are not there for me they are thee for Odin :) I take Odin just about anywhere that allows me to.

If I have a long day and can't take him anywhere then I will do some intense mental training at home and throw the ball for him outside. Sometimes I don't get home till dark so I bought him a ball that lights up.

We go to shows on the weekend when we can, he's not spoiled. He lives a ruff life ;)

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lack of Social Life yep that is me...

My daily routine has changed since I now have a backyard!!!!

Get off work, drive through the international speedway (or so everyone in the town thinks it is...) come home let Jones out in the backyard. Change into something comfortable, then we go on a 1.5mile walk/jog/run depends on how we feel AKA the weather. Then come back to the backyard do some weave poles and mock Frisbee AKA I throw he chases it stops he says come get it.

Then Dinner time and veg on the couch... that is the typical day here

Jonesy and his new very own backyard!!!
Where did you purchase your weave poles? I want to make a small little course too

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
-leave work
-pickup dog
-15 min drive to statepark/dog park
-minimum 1 hour (normally go 1.5-2 hours, also pedometer says about 2 miles) at park chasing tennis balls and then into the creek for a cool down. About 1/2 mile walk back to the car from the creek.
-15 min drive home
-30 more mins cool down in back yard
-dog eats food

A normal week this happens 4 days. Good weeks well get in 6 days but he's BEAT by the end of the week.

Here's a good 'sit' in the creek, waiting for a tennis ball...

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,493 Posts
Such a nice bunch of pictures!
Your terrier reminds me of the RCA dog

My day is very irregular, but the dogs help to set the schedule--Time to get up, time for breakfast, time for outside, couch time for a nap, long walk time (an hour or more off-leash), a bit of a rest, a little outside and then DINNERTIME!! Back to the couch for naps alternating with informal training, grooming (stupid nails), lap-sitting, bully stick treats, outside trips and then----it's been a long hard day :) bedtime.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Where did you purchase your weave poles? I want to make a small little course too
They were actually given to me by my agility instructor, she bought new ones and had these ones she just wanted to get rid of :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one realizing my social life is non-existent lol!

We've totally shifted our schedules for the puppy so she gets as much human time as possible.

5:30-6:15am playtime with daddy
6:15-7:30 playtime with mommy
7:30-8:30 breakfast/rest, mommy gets ready for work
8:30-8:45 last minute pee breaks

12:15-12:45 lunchtime bathroom break

4-6 playtime with daddy
6-7 playtime with mommy
7-8 dinner, rest
8-10 playtime
10-11 sleep while humans watch tv
11pm-5:30am sleep

Although we are trying to do at least one outing during the week to pet stores, etc and one outing a weekend. It will get easier when we start puppy class so it should wear her out mentally, too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts