Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their dog? We live in a split-level ranch and he WILL NOT walk down the stairs at all. He's getting better at ascending, but he won't climb up unless one of us is behind him so he won't fall down.

He's about 50+lbs. now and he's getting a bit heavy to keep carrying down the stairs.

Any feedback will be greatly appeciated. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maybe some food on the stairs. Try putting a piece of food on each step, and see if that makes him more motivated. thats the best way i can think of, or try to get him to follow his favorite toy up and down the stairs.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
One of the guys I see at the Dog Park owns one of the country's top Greyhounds, and his Dog will NOT go up or down stairs.

He was in New York for one of the big Dog Shows and they stayed on the fifth floor of a hotel with no elevator. He had to carry that big lug up and down the stairs every time they went in or out.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've found what works well, at least for me, is for my dog to watch another dog do whatever it is they either fear doing or are unsure about doing. I always teach my pups how to walk on a leash using an older dog with us on a leash. They pick it up much better IMHO.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
K9Jarko said:
I've found what works well, at least for me, is for my dog to watch another dog do whatever it is they either fear doing or are unsure about doing. I always teach my pups how to walk on a leash using an older dog with us on a leash. They pick it up much better IMHO.

I agree, FiFi would not go down the basement stairs until she saw our Pug do it... (same thing going in the water on the beach) -- but I'd try the food on the stairs too....

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
K9Jarko said:
Good suggestion K9, not much different from human kids :D

Orson didn't like our stairs at first either, but he was a lot younger then (about 3-4 months) I let phoebe take the lead and he soon started to follow.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Cleo lived in a one story up until the last 3 years of her life and when we moved in here she wouldn't walk up the stairs for anything at all. She would go up the first 3-4 and then freak out and jump back down. Even after watching Summer do it time and time again, she'd try every time but never make it past that first 3-4 steps. We'd have to carry her up for baths every time.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Acooper said:
Good suggestion K9, not much different from human kids :D

Orson didn't like our stairs at first either, but he was a lot younger then (about 3-4 months) I let phoebe take the lead and he soon started to follow.
yep same here, they all follow each other up and down ,sounds like a herd of Elephants sometimes.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
How many steps are we talking about. If its alot of steps, you might try to find some smaller amount of steps some place else to see if that helps. If its just those steps, you might want him to not focus on steps but on something else that is more interesting while he is doing the steps, like playing some sort of game while doing that. We didn't have another dog to show our girl, but I found that if we were playing some sort of game together and I went down the steps, she followed me with no problems because she was more interested in the game than the steps. You want to do that slowly, because we don't want anyone falling and make it worse. After a bit, the steps were second nature. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1 Posts
since he'll go up stairs take him up 1 step at a time then down the 1 step. then 2 steps & down, 3 steps, down and so on. if he gets scared when y ou ad more steps go back 1 step lower and start again. most tiems they'll end up not noticing they're getting higher, treats could help to

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Cesar Milan showed a similar problem on Nat'l Geo Channel last night. Dog would not jump up into back of station wagon. But it would jump (as Kratty suggested) up onto the knee-high wall on the neighbor's front lawn. Practiced that until it gave him confidence. Java was timid coming down our stairs at first, so I put on her car harness and attached her leash to the D-ring. Figured if she lost her footing, I'd have her by the shoulders, and not the collar. After a week or so, she got her 'legs' and was fine. Mind you, the stairs are not steep and there is a landing mid-way to 2nd floor. In DC, the townhouse has steep stairs, and she takes them very slowly. I am keeping the harness on her for fear that if she lost her footing she'd keep tumbling and hurt herself. (It's a mom thing.) I also keep her between the wall and my body, with lots of praise!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kratty said:
How many steps are we talking about. If its alot of steps, you might try to find some smaller amount of steps some place else to see if that helps. If its just those steps, you might want him to not focus on steps but on something else that is more interesting while he is doing the steps, like playing some sort of game while doing that. We didn't have another dog to show our girl, but I found that if we were playing some sort of game together and I went down the steps, she followed me with no problems because she was more interested in the game than the steps. You want to do that slowly, because we don't want anyone falling and make it worse. After a bit, the steps were second nature. Just a thought...
Here's a photo of the stairs. He hasn't even tried the 2nd level leading to the basement and garage; he still has to conquer the first set. We've put a dog biscuit on each of the steps and we still have a hard time coaxing him up unless my husband or I am behind him. As far as going down, forget it.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
i remember Trinity having this problem when she was still tiny. She was still 2months old then..so it's a bit of a different situation. We made sure to have dad at the bottom of the step (she found it more reassuring. She always kept looking back at him after every step she climbed haha) and me guiding her up the steps one by one (with a treat in a closed fist). She would take 15 minutes going up 12 steps and 10 going down hehe. I would open up my hand once her front feet hit the top of the platform. She started being a pain though when realized top of stairs=treat! she would go up on her own and whine nonstop until someone gave her a treat. She would wait oh-so patiently too haha..thankfully she stopped doing that. As time went on though that 15 minutes turned into 3 seconds!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts