Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a website that has nice (preferably orthopedic) dog beds at amazing prices? I'm puppy poor right now, so a good deal would be very much appreciated!

I had a kuranda bed for my GSD and loved it. I'll be getting one for Mason, but he needs a portable bed, that's an appropriate size, but not unnessessarily ginormous for work. It should definetely be foldable, rollable, or collapsable in some way to make for easy transporting. (So not a baby mattress.) Also washable, and I would like to keep it under $60 if at all possible.

I found this one at BJs.com (weird that you can order without a membership?), and it looks promising. Mason loves to rest his head on nearby objects when snoozing. He's also more of a spread out dog than a curl up dog.

Does anyone have any experience with this bed?
Majestic Pet Products 52" Extra-Large Bagel Donut Pet Bed for Dogs 70 - 110 Lb. (Burgundy) - BJ's Wholesale Club

Thank you in advance for any input!

·
Registered
64 Posts
No experience with it but it looks like a nice big bed for a good price. Also wanted to say thanks, I've never considered using a baby mattress before but that's a brilliant idea!!!

·
joie de vivre
11,305 Posts
I don't know if you have one in your area, but I've heard some people have found GREAT deals on big dog beds at Costco.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We used an orthopedic baby mattress for our aging lab/Aussie mix for the year or two before she crossed the bridge. We just put a regular baby mattress pad and sheet (she had Little Mermaid) on it, and it was great. We could wash the sheet and cover, and just use Clorox wipe the mattress itself, since they're usually waterproof. Kept if from building up any doggie odor. You can almost always find used baby mattresses (and sheets for that matter) on Craigslist pretty cheap. Great size for a dobe, and they're light, so easy to move around the house.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Costco has affordable orthopedic dog beds right now in my area. If I was sure my younger V wouldn't destory them I'd have purchsed them.

Reactions: wantsaDobe

·
APS SGT
1,427 Posts
No experience with it but it looks like a nice big bed for a good price. Also wanted to say thanks, I've never considered using a baby mattress before but that's a brilliant idea!!!
A little off-topic but I use cast off twin mattresses as dog beds. Two Dobes and an am staff fit on them perfectly.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I second Costco.. they have big beds for $20, cheapest I've ever seen. They aren't exactly chew-proof, though.

I'd look on Amazon? I feel like they have EVERYTHING.

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I've heard Costco has great beds, but I believe you need a membership to shop there? The cheaper beds don't show up on their website. I know plenty of people with BJs cards, but will have to ask around about Costco.

I have briefly scanned Amazon, but haven't taken the time to weed through the search results. It's slow at work ATM, so I think I'll do that now. :D

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
second hand livingroom arm chair.

last for years.

5 to 20 bucks.

:)

My coworker has an old recliner in her dog run. Not too portable, unfortunately.

I never thought of a baby mattress either! Though that bed that was linked looks amazing, I might get one for Elka. She doesn't seem too comfy on the big square pillow style beds. And chews them sometimes (we're on #4!)

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
i have tried mattresses........ :)

and just about everything else you can think of. :)

chairs worked the best and the dogs LOVED them, each dog has it's own chair.

and i am talking the doberman. :)

other breeds that have owned me.............were just fine with anything they got. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
The Costco beds are quite large and are around $20. So you could get a Costco membership ($50/year) and a bed and still be close to your budget :) I've been pleased with our Costco beds. I do add some stuffing as they get crushed down, but it would be almost as cheap to just buy a new one :)

Reactions: wantsaDobe

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
second hand livingroom arm chair.

last for years.

5 to 20 bucks.

:)
Maybe one day I'll have a dwelling big enough to accommodate both people & doggie furniture!

Though that bed that was linked looks amazing, I might get one for Elka. She doesn't seem too comfy on the big square pillow style beds. And chews them sometimes (we're on #4!)
I later checked reviews on Amazon, and they're not that great. :( It is mostly the larger breed folk saying there's not enough support, so it may still be fine for a dobe.

The Costco beds are quite large and are around $20. So you could get a Costco membership ($50/year) and a bed and still be close to your budget :) I've been pleased with our Costco beds. I do add some stuffing as they get crushed down, but it would be almost as cheap to just buy a new one :)
I might just have to take a trip to my nearest Costco and see if it's worth the membership. (Living alone with limited space, I don't buy a lot of things in bulk.)

I'm looking at this one right now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D0ORDC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3C6E8R3MAVTGJ

It's more than I want to spend, but ultimately I just want to avoid those nasty mastiff elbows and also give him a bed he's going to love.

Who knew buying a dog bed could be so complicated!

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I ended up getting this bed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P7JKD6/ref=oh_o00_s02_i00_details

So much for my "must haves." :lol2: It's pretty light weight and should let me know how inclined he is to chewing on his bedding, and also how he feels about elevated beds before I invest in a Kuranda. I'll probably only get 4-6 months out of it, but it's priced just right for a starter bed. This bed is replacing a crate (which he loves and retreats to throughout the day) I have under my desk at work, and I think the fact that it's elevated will help continue to cement the idea of his "place."

I still plan to get a Costco bed or two for around the house. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I saw this post and bought the majestic bed so I will let you know how it does.
I tried the twin mattress several years ago. It was cute, I put them on a day bed frame by my bed. The dogs I had didn't like them but it was still a good idea. Not exactly chew proof. I looked on line for pet beds by costco and online comparable beds were a little more than the majestic. I don't like to go to stores so virtual shopping is it for me. A chew proof thing I have used for years in the crates are moving blankets. I got them cheap at petedge 8 years ago and am still using them.
Good luck, I know its hard to spend a lot of hard earned money on a bed and have your dog destroy it in an hour

1 - 18 of 18 Posts