Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
KatnRomy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rescued a blue Dobie. I have him about 5 weeks now and he is glued to me. He is 2yrs old and is a great dog and was well behaved for the 1st couple weeks. Now he has tremendous separation anxiety. I have had two dobies previously and never had this problem. He destroys anything by the front door. I have tried the dog park b4 I go out. Coming in and out in short intervals, leaving chew bones, filing a kong and freezing it and leaving it for him. He will not touch food, water, chewies or anything until I come back. (Except for my rug, the blinds and anything on my coat rack.) He has also chewed 3 leashes in half. Someone gave me a plastic travel crate which he had no problem going in until I shut the door and left. He has broken the plastic and gotten out, which I fixed. The next time he bent the wire door. Can anyone recommend a crate for my Romeo-destructo, escape artist?
I have been looking at MountPros USA on ebay. They guarantee the product and say it's escape proof. Has anyone here used this brand?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
21,709 Posts
I strongly recommend working with a professional trainer. Separation anxiety is a serious issue and you need help working with him on his fear. Find qualified professional trainers here: Search for Professionals

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi There, yes I agree with above comment you may need to seek a professional on that issue.Have you tried rewarding him for example if you are sitting on sofa have him sit about 10 ft away and give him a treat.

·
Chee
227 Posts
When I got my puppy I made a wooden crate and it was useless as she cried and cried. I dismantled it and made a bookshelf (I had made the crate from the bed bottom).

Anyway I learned to keep my dog happy alone by telling her to "go sleep time" I tell her "I will go and buy yummy" same sentence no matter where I am going. I tell her to go "sleep time" she never ever destroyed anything at home. I waited until she went to the bed. I repeated the sentence many times. I kissed her and tell her it will be ok and so many more loving things. I still do.

If I stay out too long then she is angry when I come back but I reward her by taking her out. Been like that for 4 years.

You could try telling him you will be out and he should go to sleep if he knows these words and go out for 10 min then 20 min then an hour... see what happens.

She did destroy things at early mornings while I am sleeping. Like my reading glasses, a shoe, her leather leash (leather smell) and tons more but she was a puppy chewing things while I was fast asleep :)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
A plastic crate meaning a travel crate? I wouldn't think this would be ideal for a 2 year old for crate training. Have you tried a normal crate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts