Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been threads regarding this in the past (I've had a look through the archives) but I would still like some advice please regarding spaying.

Tia is very nearly 7 months old and she is definitely going to be spayed - the question is when?! I had decided at first for her to have the operation before her first cycle (as advised by my vet) but then after doing some research and talking to a different vet I decided to wait until she had had one cycle to ensure she was fully mature. Now I don't know - my head is swimming!!

When would you all advise please?

If I have her done before her first cycle will it affect her growth - I am worried that she is on the small side, 22" tall and 53lbs, for her age and that being spayed before maturity may impede her growth.

I had also expected her to have had her first cycle by now but through reading I have learnt that she could be as old as a year before this happens. We are going away for a week in July and I would hate her to be in heat when I am not there to ensure no accidents happen!

Thank you in anticipation.
Amanda

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Wow thats a tough one. One which I have struggled with. All my previous females were spayed before their first heat.
T. who was one year on March 2 is being spayed this Wed. She came into heat Dec. 2nd. (31 days long-this is on the long side-I counted from first day I noticed a drop of discharge-her private parts swelled for about a week or 2 before that)
I guess you have to ask yourself if you are planning on breeding her. She should have her CH if you are. If you decide to wait until after her first heat, spay half way after that heat and the next one. There is some information that says it is suppose to be better for the bitch (having to do with hormones). I figure it can`t hurt. Good Luck no matter what your decision.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding - I know you long time doggy experts must get fed up of being asked about this!

We are not planning on breeding Tia at all - far too inexperienced for that. I do just want to do what is best for her - the growth thing really does worry me though, especially with her being on the small side.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Orson will be one april 20 and I will be getting him neutered soon too. Not a female, but I still had some concerns about all the information going around and didn't figure it would hurt to wait til after his birthday.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
IMO, there are no definitive answers to this. Even veterinarians can't come to a solid agreement on this one. I recommend do your research and do what "feels" right to you. And while yes, as a broad general rule they come into their first season before a year old, Cher was 15 months when she had her first one. You just never know.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The jury is still out on this one. You can line 100 VETs up and ask them all and you will probably get a pretty even split. Our VET recommended waiting for one to two cycles before spaying as he said it helps with incontenence. Some members on here have had bitches go four years before being spayed without being bred and they still had the problem.

So Julie probably has the best answer for you in going with your gut. The only thing I would add is I think our VET honestly beleives this as he could of gotten a payed for a spay when we asked but instead he waited. Of course this was ten years ago or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts