Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I went to my first show this weekend. It was SO fun.
Rudy and I are starting one of two different handling courses this week.
I noticed when I watched the dobes being showed, that some people used thin chain collars and some used a material type collar and some used a thin leather collar. Any advice on ....what kind to buy. What size I should buy....seeing that Rudy is 14 weeks today. So can I get one that I can still use for him when he is full grown? Or should I buy a puppy ish size, then buy another when he's older?

What length of lead? Do most buy a lead the same colour as the dog? Or can you choose any colour you like?

Any great online places to order from? Rudy is a red dobe. So I'm going to try and get a brown set. Though, at the show, there was a vendor there with beautiful leather collar and leads....one set in a peacock blue. Do people ever use colours that don't 'blend' in with their dogs?

We'll be able to start some sanction matches soon too!!! I'm excited!
Here are a few updated Pic of Rudy from a few days ago.
He's doing so well, loving his agility classes. He zooms through the tunnels over and over. He loves them.
Thanks in advance!

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS. You can buy leads with a loop at the end as well as ones with clips. Any preferences?

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
Hi from across the pond in Rochester, NY!
No advice, I just want to say he is so cute and I like your dobe pics in the background!

Reactions: Sherryh and dapple

·
Registered
523 Posts
Chase is my first and only Doberman, but when he was a baby going to class, I used a thick rope show collar on him. I wanted something gentle for him as he learned the ropes. As he got older, we transitioned into a chain collar, which he does fine on.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi from across the pond in Rochester, NY!
No advice, I just want to say he is so cute and I like your dobe pics in the background!
Ha!!! Thanks. I made them. I painted a huge one of Lily....it's in my kitchen. I'll have to take a pic and post it!

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OMG he is so cute I just want to eat him up!

These show leads are to die for! http://www.dobermantalk.com/product-reviews/38903-maeve-dehetre-show-leads.html
Thanks. Not only is he cute...but he's SO smart and SO SO SO sweet. A really amazing temperament. I could not be happier with him.

I saw leads like this at the show I was at this weekend. Nice and tight braid Kangaroo. A woman from Calgary makes them. I might order one in two toned brown. This is the maker that also has the peacock blue ones....and brown and blue one. They also have jeweled beads on them. Maybe I should actually start classes before I buy all sorts of beautiful equipment. But I can't help it!!! ha ha Don't forget.... I do Broadway Musicals for a living. I love a good costume with some bling. Rudy needs some too!!!

The woman selling the leads showed me other braided gear, and showed me the difference. The others were not as tight, and the leather was not as nice. So I may go ahead with the really good one.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
a Broadway girl must have fabulous things! Bedazzle Rudy up LOL

Thanks. Not only is he cute...but he's SO smart and SO SO SO sweet. A really amazing temperament. I could not be happier with him.

I saw leads like this at the show I was at this weekend. Nice and tight braid Kangaroo. A woman from Calgary makes them. I might order one in two toned brown. This is the maker that also has the peacock blue ones....and brown and blue one. They also have jeweled beads on them. Maybe I should actually start classes before I buy all sorts of beautiful equipment. But I can't help it!!! ha ha Don't forget.... I do Broadway Musicals for a living. I love a good costume with some bling. Rudy needs some too!!!

The woman selling the leads showed me other braided gear, and showed me the difference. The others were not as tight, and the leather was not as nice. So I may go ahead with the really good one.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Show equipment needs to not overshadow the dog-you want the judge looking at the dog, not the collar and leash! So it should always be a color that blends in nicely.

Whether you use a nylon collar or a chain collar really depends on the dog-some dogs need more control than you can get with a nylon collar. I usually start puppies with a nylon collar, but sometimes need to graduate to a chain collar.

I always buy my equipment from vendors at the show. But Cherrybrook sells good show stuff online.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I am watching Westminster (again) this evening and I noticed the leads. The collar section matches the dog's coloring and then the lead part is a different color on some. On Fifi's slip lead, the collar section is black and it looks like the lead section is pink and black.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am watching Westminster (again) this evening and I noticed the leads. The collar section matches the dog's coloring and then the lead part is a different color on some. On Fifi's slip lead, the collar section is black and it looks like the lead section is pink and black.
How funny. I was watching on my PVR tonight too. Yep, she's got a black chain collar and then a bit of more exciting lead. I re watched a lot of the show to see what leads were on all the dogs!! ha

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A black or brown nylon slip lead would be a great place to start. And getting one at the shows gives you a great excuse to go check out the Purina Nationals which are in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks.
I'm going already!!! I have two friends showing their champ dogs. One is a wire haired dachshund and the other is a white standard poodle. I can't wait to go to a bigger show! The lady who I talked to this weekend with the beautiful kangaroo braided leather sets will be there as well. I will pick up the basic puppy collar for now...but I see that amazing set in my future! ha ha.
STOP ME NOW. I can't stop shopping!!! ha

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
On puppies, I start out with a nylon show collar. I have a few high quality braided kangaroo leads - two black and one dark brown, so unless I get a dilute I'm set for life on show leads. When you're looking at kangaroo show leads, make sure each strand has been beveled... otherwise it'll be rough on your hands.

I may be in the minority, but I don't like the fancy show leads that are getting so popular. I think they overshadow the dog and are a bit, erm... I don't know. Showboaty. Like the dog needs beads and fancy colors to be noticed. One of my leashes does have subtle beadwork, but honestly I'm too embarrassed to use it except on silly puppies in non-licensed classes. ;)

My leads are from: Braid A Roo by BraidARoo on Etsy <-- if you go with her, you can ask her to make a plain leash.

Reactions: Q734 and dapple

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I don't like the fancy show leads that are getting so popular. I think they overshadow the dog and are a bit, erm... I don't know. Showboaty. Like the dog needs beads and fancy colors to be noticed. .
I agree. I won two kangaroo braided leashes with lots of bling as trophies-I gave them away.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I'll have to practice some restraint! This coming from someone who used to paint both Lily and Strider's nails! Hot pink for Lily and sparkly blue for Strider. The set that I thought would be the best long term was the two toned brown set. How long are your collars for your males? How many inches? Do the leads that you have ....have a loop at the end or a clip?
Thanks!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I guess I'll have to practice some restraint! This coming from someone who used to paint both Lily and Strider's nails! Hot pink for Lily and sparkly blue for Strider. The set that I thought would be the best long term was the two toned brown set. How long are your collars for your males? How many inches? Do the leads that you have ....have a loop at the end or a clip?
Thanks!
I think I buy 22" collars.

I buy the leads where the clasp is braided onto the lead. I take it apart, and braid the lead directly onto one of the rings on the collar. That way there's no reflection from the clasp when you get pictures taken. The leads I buy are normally 24" long and 1/4" wide.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Thanks!
I like the loops. No chance of unclipping the lead in the ring that way ;)

I do like a little bling on my lead- the one I use with Guilty is black kangaroo with three small purple bead clusters. I like them because they are pretty and I use them as stops so the lead doesn't slip through my fingers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts