Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am currently stationed overseas in Okinawa, Japan, and about a year ago I rescued a 4 year old Doberman who means the world to my husband and I. We have never traveled with animals before, and we are heading back to the states at the end of the month for our next duty station. Now I have two dogs, but Duke is the one I'm concerned with since he is big, even for Dobie standards. My husband and I are willing to pay just about anything to get him back to the states, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with flying with dogs on long flights. We will be allowed to let him out in Tokyo, but then he's stuck in the plane until we enter the states, which is usually around 14 hours. Is any airliner better than the other with this? How much does it usually cost someone to travel with a Dobie? Should I feed him before-hand? Any advice/info anyone could give in regards to this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hello all! I am currently stationed overseas in Okinawa, Japan, and about a year ago I rescued a 4 year old Doberman who means the world to my husband and I. We have never traveled with animals before, and we are heading back to the states at the end of the month for our next duty station. Now I have two dogs, but Duke is the one I'm concerned with since he is big, even for Dobie standards. My husband and I are willing to pay just about anything to get him back to the states, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with flying with dogs on long flights. We will be allowed to let him out in Tokyo, but then he's stuck in the plane until we enter the states, which is usually around 14 hours. Is any airliner better than the other with this? How much does it usually cost someone to travel with a Dobie? Should I feed him before-hand? Any advice/info anyone could give in regards to this is greatly appreciated.
Hi!
Sorry, I've never travelled with a dog by plane.
I guess that ANA is not your choice but for a general idea.

For passengers traveling with pets | ANA

For the precautions and tips when a dog makes a plane travel, I saw the great posts previously, last month. I hope you'll find it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Hi, I have flown my dog from California to the UK, and from the UK to New Jersey. The flight from CA to UK was probably about 8-9 hours, the return flight shorter - maybe 6 hours. I flew British Air going out and I think Continental coming home. On the flight to the UK he had to go via the cargo shipment process, whereas upon return I was able to ship him as excess sized baggage. The main difference being if shipped Cargo you have to take the dog in his crate to the Airline's cargo area and they transport him to the airplane loading area, and you pick up from Cargo. Whereas for excess baggage I could take him straight to airport with me and he stayed with me until just before the rolled him in his crate to the gate. I don't remember how much it cost - but I am thinking maybe 1K USD?? Fortunately, we were relocated by my husband's employer and they picked up the cost each time.

The UK had very strict requirements and process due to rabies prevention requirements. I had to start the process 6 months in advance to ensure the process steps were all completed. However, coming into the US was far more relaxed. Just make sure you research any specific requirements that could be in place going from Japan to US.

I have heard Continental is a good airline to use. However, I don't know what airlines fly from Japan to US. United probably does, so they may be an option for you.

My dog did fine both times. I was probably far more stressed than him. Thankfully each time, I was also on the flight with him although it did make for one stressful flight! A few drinks helped. :)

It definitely helps if your dog is very comfortable being in their crate. Don't feed a lot before they fly - I think the airline gives guidance on that but there are probably other tips you can find online. I think I just fed a very small meal that morning before we left for airport.

Do not give your dog any sedatives. That is against airline rules and can be harmful for the dog due, I think due to the elevation and pressure in area where the dog will be on airplane.

I put a tshirt with my scent in my dog's crate and I also used lavender oil dabs behind his ears and put some in his crate. It is supposed to help them relax and have a soothing effect. I think I also used "Dap spray" - at least I think that's what it's called. It was another herbal kind of spray to help relax them.

I realize your flight would be quite a bit longer than mine was, but hopefully things will go just fine for you. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
p.s. one more thing. The airline will want to ensure your crate is big enough and your dog can stand comfortably, turn around, etc. I think you mentioned your boy is fairly big. My dog was 27 1/2 and about 85lb. I decided to use a Varikennel 700 vs 500 just to be safe. It's a HUGE crate but he had a lot more room in it. Just wanted to mention that so you ensure your crate is large enough.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hi again.
OP, thank you for rescuing your doberman. Did you book an airline to leave Japan with your dog?
I'm really hoping that you find ways and make sure to take him with you.
I think you know the situation here as you rescued. Please don't leave him at the local/government animal care center which means footsteps towards death in 7 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts