Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apollo's ears aren't as sturdy as I would like them to be. His right ear, for example has a bit of a gimp to it. I suspected it could be the muggy hot weather maybe doing it but it seems that it might not be the case. At the age of four months, can they still potentially become sturdier if I tape them again?

If yes, do you guys have any informative ways of doing so? The breeder showed me how to do the soft way, and I found a site to use tampons. I tried the tampon way and both times the base would unattach on one ear and I'd just give up.

Any ideas? He's mastered the whole shaking of the head and getting them off. It's a bit frustrating but if there's a good way of doing it, I'm all ears!
:help_up_2

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Does it "gimp" and hang down? Or does it just seem to sag? You may be about to get away with using a Breath right strip on his ear to keep it in place as the cartilage hardens. Then you wouldn't have to worry about him getting a whole brace off.

Edited to add, Better ear experts will chime in soon I'm sure, but I rechecked the pictures you posted of him, and it does not look to me, IMO, like his ears have even been posted correctly all along possibly, or definetely the posting was stopped too soon. Does he always seem to carry them that way, where they seem to bend outwards from the middle to the top of the ear? He would benifit from using a full posting for a while, especially at his age, It would help for sure. Setting the ears is something that is hard and lengthy to just describe over the internet, can you take him back the breeder that sold him to you and have her post them while you watch so you know how to do it?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
at 4 months old, i would definitely expect most dogs ears WOULD need to be posted - many (most?) dogs are posted until well over 6 months, some need posting until over a year old.

if the ear sags (and from his past pics, i cant tell if they just have pockets or just the ears tip - in different pics they each look different), then they need to be posted. breathe right strips are only going to help for ears that already stand up straight, but the tips are weak.

the ruleof thumb is post until the ears stand and you think you are completely done - and then post them one more time.

·
Premium Member
10,150 Posts
If you haven't already gone to the DPCA website and looked up the instructions for posting ears you should do so. There are practically as many ways to post ears as there are people who have ever got more than one pair of ears standing.

Kim is right on--at four months most puppies are just starting the teething process and even pups whose ears have been standing perfectly will need to be posted while the teething process goes on.

I'm raising a puppy right now for a breeder and he has a very long show crop--his left ear will sag in hot weather and if he's been playing very hard and he's hot. So his ears are posted most of the time--even though his right ear has been standing for two months.

The trick to keeping posts in ears is to make sure that what ever you are using to post the ears on (I used fairly tightly rolled papertowels--taped once and then back taped sticky side out) I make sure that when I'm rolling the paper towels that the part which goes into the ear is rolled tighter and is smaller than the rest of the post--makes them look a little like narrow funnels--wider at the top. Make sure that you are making the post longer than the ear plus the length needed to insert it into the ear.

Insert the post into the ear. Start the tape so that the little fold will lay properly back against the outside of the ear--looking at the dog that is right to left on your right hand side and left to right on your left hand side. Start the first wrap down in the ear--where you can see the first bit of tape--I use narrow (3/4") strips rather than wide--easier to control. Pull up on the ear and tape toward the center of the head--it will be very angled--it should be. Wrap it around the ear snugly but not tightly and pull the ear back toward the front--you'll be making the ear curve more--angle the tape down to meet the point where you started. Fold the tape--this is at the outside where you first started--it'll look sort of like a herringbone pattern and slightly overlap the second row over the first--after about three wraps you can level things out but you'll see that there is virtually no space for the post to pop out of the ear--if there is enough room you haven't started low enough. By the time you are just ave the top of the head you should be wrapping in a spiral. Tape all the way to the tip--leaving tips untaped at this stage is a great way to get ugly curls in the tips.

Reverse the process and tape the other ear the same way. If the weather is hot--take them down everything three or four days. In cool weather they can stay up a week. If an ear starts to look anything but perfect. retape them.

Put in a bridge 1/2 to 3/4" above the top of the head setting it so the ears are perfectly upright.

Don't roll papertowels for posts rock hard--they should have some give to them--they will act as absorbant for the dampness that forms under the tape.

I use either the Johnson & Johnson tape which you can get from your vet--fabric, breathable. low tack. Or I use the Johnson & Johnson Coach Athletic tape which on the West Coat Walgreen's carries in four packs of 1-1/2" (I split it and use it as 3/4" tape) for about $15. The two products are virtually the same but buying through your vet is often more expensive.

Plan on using a whole lot of tape during this process. There is no short way to do this--persistence is the key.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
www.greatdanelady.com/articles/how_to_tape_ears_txt.hml

Our dane pup's breeder showed us this and my dane has an very long show crop. They were up at 5 months. Now, we used it this time without litter in March and most are up - I would agree that at 4 months usually you would still be taping anyway. Depends on a few things, including the length of the crop. Don't leave it now! Keep on it. These next few times are very very important.

We use only medical tape that we buy from our vet and we remove them and leave them off until the start to fall. Then it's right back up again. When they don't fall - you're done....of course then they teeth and you're back to taping LOL but right now I have a female in my house 4.5 months who has been done for a couple weeks, and her brother who we just took the tapes off tonight. here's hoping!
Maura

·
Registered
190 Posts
What kind of tape are you using??

I use either Zonas or Luco tape. The Luco tape is very strong tape and trust me he will have a hard time getting it off. To get that brand of tape you must go to a sport medicine store.

You must also remember that at 4 months he is still teething.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dobie lover said:
What kind of tape are you using??

I use either Zonas or Luco tape. The Luco tape is very strong tape and trust me he will have a hard time getting it off. To get that brand of tape you must go to a sport medicine store.

You must also remember that at 4 months he is still teething.

I'll check sports stores, if any, locally. But prior to my post I was using reg. adhesive medical tape and adhesive pet bandage tape which wasn't working at all.

Like everyone said, he's teething at four months so he's pretty NON-tolerant at things he could chew on, such as his ear bandages lol. I'm glad to hear he's in the clear with helping his ears stand up with bandages, maybe I should just call my vet to help me with applying them correctly to see if she has a better judgement on the correct way of putting them on? Like I said before, he base is the promlem-he seems to always "shake" that part off before any other, and IMO that part is the most important for secureness.

Thanks again for everyones input, I appreciate it!! :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The key is what DobeBug says, wind the tape on the posts, before placing them in the ear, STICKY SIDE OUT.

The Vet-Techs who do Mensa's ears lay the post material on a piece of tape, sticky side out, longways so it doubles over the post. Then she winds tape around the post, sticky side out. The post is then placed in the ear, and the ear taped around the post.

Then the brace between the posts is taped on.

This seems to work extremely well. So far, no matter how much Mensa kicks at it, or no matter how much my other dogs chew on it, it is yet to come loose.

I don't know what kind of tape my Vet uses, but it is so sticky that after six days she has to use ether to get it to come off.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
As most people on here know,i'm the complete expert on ear taping(not)so if you need any advice best to ask anybody but me!(although i know more than i used to,thanks to people on here)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chaz (and everyone else who posted),

Thank you so much! Should I just assume that it's easier for vet techs to do it then try to attempt it again? After seeing your post about your dobes ears being done by them, I thought maybe it might be easier with them then trying to do it again. Your dobe in your avatar pic has PERFECT looking ear taping...at this point I think spending the $ a the vets for them to do it might be worth it. ;-)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Like most breeders, Mensa's breeder had the ears cropped before I took her home. She also paid the Vet for "aftercare". This Vet will post and re-post Mensa's ears as often as I like. I take her in for posting every five or six days.

I could probably do it myself, but getting Mensa to hold still would be a challenge.

The reason the Vet Techs do such a good job is the volume of postings they do. I bet they do more than a dozen a day.

You might see if your Vet offers an "aftercare" plan like Mensa's does. Failing that, watch your Vet post the ears and ask as many questions as you can think of, so when you do it yourself, you'll have something to go by.

I would like to know what brand of white tape my Vet uses. The stuff sticks like glue! Much better than the climber's tape I use when I have to reinforce her posts.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
10,150 Posts
As I said before--there are as many ways to post ears as there are people doing the posting.

I recommend the Johnson and Johnson Zonas tape (that's the one that many vet offices use) or Johnson and Johnson Coach Athletic tape which you can buy in most drug stores and occasionally at WalMart.

I'm not crazy about using Vet Wrap--it's possible to wrap it so that it is too tight without even trying (tends to tighten up after you apply it) or too loose so that it will let an ear sag down into a pocket if the back taping comes unstuck from the ear.

I'd be careful about using other types of Athletic tape as well. Some don't have the same type of adhesive and some dogs will react to the adhesive itself. The whole trick on keeping posts in the bases of ears is not so much to have tape that sticks like cement but to make sure that when you are taping at the base that there is NO room left for the base to pop out--no matter what the puppy is doing. There are two parts to assuring that-one is to make sure that the post (whatever you are using) goes all the way into the base of the ear (it has to be small enough to do that) and two you need to be sure that you are taping clear down at the bottom of the ear opening and pulling the back edge of the ear around to meet the foreward edge. People often find that the pup will paw (kick or otherwise try to get the post out of their ear) at the ear until the bottom of the post pops out--and it's usually one side that does it. If that happens take the ear down and repost it immediately. Practice makes perfect but leaving an ear with a post out of the base is nearly a guarantee that you'll have a pocket in the base that you'll then have to do remedial taping on to get rid of the pocket. Best if you avoid getting pockets in the first place.

It's usually not the vets but the techs who do aftercare--unfortunately most vets--even those who crop are not the best at aftercare. Techs who do aftercare get really good at it because they do a lot of it. So if you are going to take the pup to the vet make sure you get to see the whole process from the making of whatever kind of post they are using all the way to the actual posting and putting in the bridge.

But persistence really is the key...your posts may not look as good as those done by a tech but you'll get better as you keep posting. Good luck.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobebug said:
It's usually not the vets but the techs who do aftercare--unfortunately most vets--even those who crop are not the best at aftercare. Techs who do aftercare get really good at it because they do a lot of it. So if you are going to take the pup to the vet make sure you get to see the whole process from the making of whatever kind of post they are using all the way to the actual posting and putting in the bridge.
I gotta say-I woudn't assume just because a tech does a lot of ear posting that they do GOOD ear posting. The vet who does my ear crops is very, very good at it, and his techs do lots of posting..but I find their posting materials (tongue depressors) and techniques (bracing at the top) can contribute to a lot of problems. I'd never hesitate to have the vet do my cropping, wouldn't consider letting his techs do my posting for me.

But I do agree with Bug about everything else. If the ears are posted correctly, a puppy shouldn't be able to shake them out. That's a real clue something isn't being done correctly when posting.

Having used a variety of different tape, I've found Zonas tape really is the best..well worth ordering if you can't find a pharmacy or medical supply store near you that stocks it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dobebug...your tapping info helped greatly....and it was a sucess! So far, this is day two and both ears are still taped an in place with the sports tape no matter how much he scratches or shakes his head (he barely is today, must be getting adjusted to them). Thanks again! Also, Lexus, great idea on the breath strips...I'm going to buy some for that one problematic right ear when he has the tape off. Thanks again guys, it helped out great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts