Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My first post on this excellent resource site. Have learnt a few things over the past few months, whilst I researched into Doberman's.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some advice.

Myself and family are due to welcome our 2 new Doberman pups (sisters) (both will be 8 1/2 weeks old when we collect them on the 21st of June) into our homes and lives. But I am struggling on what the best way to crate train our new pups would be?

1. Should we invest in 2 seperate crates or should/can they share?

2. Do you advice double the ammount of crates, based on your thoughts on Q1? and having 1/2 upstairs for nights and 1/2 downstairs during the day?

3. If we are going to have crates upstairs would we be ok to rotate them around our bedrooms? Between myself and wifes room and our 12 year old sons room? My thinking is that our pups will never be reliant on sleeping in either of our rooms every night? Or is this not fair on them?

4. Based on question Q1's answer again, would we be wise on buying bigger crates for them to grow into rather that replacing every couple of months whilst they are growing? From reading other posts, dogs are less likely to soil there own crates, but does having a bigger crate counter this belief?

5. Final Q! Do you put paper in the crate just in case they have an accident during the day or night, or is this defeating the objective?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I would just get one puppy from a reputable breeder. :)
This times ten.
Raising siblings is hard and can result in problems. I would definitely second the suggestion to get one puppy from a reputable breeder.

That being said, I would NEVER crate two dogs together. That's just asking for trouble.

I bought both of my dogs a crate that they would fit in when full grown, it's cheaper that way. Many crates come with a divider so that while they are small you can make the crate smaller until they're ready for the full space.

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
First of all, I agree with just getting one puppy. There are some good threads on here about littermate syndrome. Not to mention, one pup is alot of work. I'd probably run screaming down the street if I had to deal with two.

As far as the crates, get a crate large enough for the pup's adult size, and put in a divider to block off most of it. You only want a space big enough for them to comfortably lie down in. I wouldn't put any bedding in while they are housetraining. If that bed soaks up all the pee, all they've learned is that they can pee in their crate, and still stay realtively dry.

A crate in the family room for daytime and one in the bedroom for night time is fine, if you have the room for two crates.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Read up on "littermate syndrome". It isn't usually recommended to try and take on two siblings from a litter (or really any two puppies) at the same time.

Therefore, my advice is to just get one.

Also, it is unusual that a reputable breeder would sell two puppies to one home. Check out this thread and then ask yourself if you have found a reputable breeder.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/47441-reputable-breeders-new-folks.html

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
AndyT
Congrats. to you on researching dog breeds and wanting a dobe puppy girl...they are just so perfect, for some & many / but not the way you seem to be going !!
Is this your 1st one, or had several doberman pups (over the years) before / plus, do you have a vast training gift and real life experience ??

^^^^ Because IF your answer is NO:
Please just get one pup...and learn all you can from 1st hand experience / vs. opening up a real hornets nest, and keep coming back here for "what should I do now, DT folks"?.........Take the wide swept advise now / NOT later...and enjoy 1 special fur-baby...to love for life, and it will pay you back 100x..

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Just to add...this is typically what is required when someone insists on raising littermates. They need to develop their own personalities and not rely on each other.

1. Crate them separately
2. Feed them separately
3. Walk them separately
4. Play with them separately
5. Train them separately

Are you prepared for this? :confused:

·
Banned
422 Posts
I have doberman littermates, and did purchase from a reputable breeder. If you do decide on two feel free to pm me with questions. A lot of the information given is crap seen on the internet. I would be suprised to see how many people advocating against it have actually done it. Most of what i see are stories from people who did not put in the work, and it did not work out.

It can be done, it has been done, and it will be done for years to go on.

I will say it is a hell of a lot more work than one puppy. Times it by four.

I crate train mine. They are never in the same crate. The crates are never in the same room. If you are not completly lazy, and have the time to make it work I see no problem with this. I was a complete noob in the doberman world, and it has worked out gloriously for me.

Every person will have a different experience with this decision.

I see a lot of crap on this site about how the doberman is the untrainable, not like any other dog you have had, yada yada yada. In all reality it is not like that. They are a great animal, incredibly intelligant, a little pushy but not horrible. If you let your dog be this crazy hyper always has to be right on your side, well thats your own problem not the breed. I have met many dobermans since I have got in to the breed. I have never met one that was all over the place like it is described so often.

Do your research, make your own decision. Just make sure you wont be hurting your puppies because you can't put in the time.

Alright DT feel free to start the bashing. Ill be watching.....:nicejob:

Reactions: Fengirl

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I have doberman littermates, and did purchase from a reputable breeder. If you do decide on two feel free to pm me with questions. A lot of the information given is crap seen on the internet. I would be suprised to see how many people advocating against it have actually done it. Most of what i see are stories from people who did not put in the work, and it did not work out.

It can be done, it has been done, and it will be done for years to go on.

I will say it is a hell of a lot more work than one puppy. Times it by four.

I crate train mine. They are never in the same crate. The crates are never in the same room. If you are not completly lazy, and have the time to make it work I see no problem with this. I was a complete noob in the doberman world, and it has worked out gloriously for me.

Every person will have a different experience with this decision.

I see a lot of crap on this site about how the doberman is the untrainable, not like any other dog you have had, yada yada yada. In all reality it is not like that. They are a great animal, incredibly intelligant, a little pushy but not horrible. If you let your dog be this crazy hyper always has to be right on your side, well thats your own problem not the breed. I have met many dobermans since I have got in to the breed. I have never met one that was all over the place like it is described so often.

Do your research, make your own decision. Just make sure you wont be hurting your puppies because you can't put in the time.
You're right, I have not done it but I've seen some terrible results.

I work at a doggie daycare and more than once have we had sibling dogs who have suddenly stopped coming in together. They were dogs that were bought and raised together sometimes the owners were idiots and sometimes they were quite competent. There have been occasions where these dogs would come in all the time and then suddenly (always around maturity) they'd start coming separately or only one would come in. This is because one day they'd get in a fight and suddenly they could not be near each other because they'd try to kill each other. Twice, one actually succeeded in killing the other.

That aside, while I was a first time dog-owner with Dreizehn I wasn't new to dogs. My one single puppy drove me up a wall (and to tears) from time to time. That being said, I would actually consider him to have been an "easy" puppy. He was generally calm, pretty laid back, and barely any trouble at all. If I had to start over but could keep the knowledge that I got from Dreizehn and was offered two puppies, even two puppies that were "easy," I wouldn't do it.

Just because it can be done and it has been done doesn't mean it's a good idea. Consider drunk driving if you need an example.

RedMaro said:
Alright DT feel free to start the bashing. Ill be watching.....:nicejob:
Was this really necessary?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,416 Posts
There tend to be fewer people with the time, energy and knowledge to devote to proper puppy raising than there are people who just don't know any better and get in over their heads. To keep the interests of the puppy(s) AND the sanity of the owners in mind, it is better to give the gory negative details up front so folks know what they could be getting into. Armed with that knowledge, they will be able to make a good choice and the whole dog/family relationship will develop into what it is meant to be.

OP, think hard, do your research, assess truthfully your energy, knowledge and willingness to do a lot of work, compare it against the natural, perhaps quixotic desire to have TWO!! beautiful little monsters at the same time and decide. I personally would err on the side of caution however.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Welcome to the forum Andy! There is tons of great information on here, and people have given you some good links and reading topics to start with.
I hope you stay with us and learn, learn, learn!

I would be suprised to see how many people advocating against it have actually done it. Most of what i see are stories from people who did not put in the work, and it did not work out.
In response to this, just because someone hasn't lived with littermates does not mean they do not have useful input.
There are two Standard Poodle male littermates (yep) that frequently board at my work (2 years old, I believe). We separate them at mealtimes, and no sooner than one is done eating his food, he starts screaming and making horrible noises and freaking out. He cannot be without his brother for more than a few minutes until he loses it, starts trying to escape the kennel, crying, barking, and creating a huge spectacle. The owner thinks it's cute how bonded they are. I'm dreading the day they decide they want to kill each other. Hopefully that doesn't happen.
We separate dogs from the same household every day for feeding, and none of them have the issue that these littermates do.
So I guess my experience doesn't count for much?

Good luck, OP.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Welcome to the forum Andy! There is tons of great information on here, and people have given you some good links and reading topics to start with.
I hope you stay with us and learn, learn, learn!

In response to this, just because someone hasn't lived with littermates does not mean they do not have useful input.
There are two Standard Poodle male littermates (yep) that frequently board at my work (2 years old, I believe). We separate them at mealtimes, and no sooner than one is done eating his food, he starts screaming and making horrible noises and freaking out. He cannot be without his brother for more than a few minutes until he loses it, starts trying to escape the kennel, crying, barking, and creating a huge spectacle. The owner thinks it's cute how bonded they are. I'm dreading the day they decide they want to kill each other. Hopefully that doesn't happen.
We separate dogs from the same household every day for feeding, and none of them have the issue that these littermates do.
So I guess my experience doesn't count for much?

Good luck, OP.
Most of what i see are stories from people who did not put in the work, and it did not work out.

Apparently your work never asked on the application if you knew how to read. Thats ok though, I made it bold so you would not miss it this time.

Not only do you not have any personal experience in this, but your going off of two dogs who could be owned by a complete a hole. I would be willing to bet you have had two littermates that did perfect there. You probably never even knew they were littermates. Even if you did I doubt that story would make it on this board.:roflmao::roflmao:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Most of what i see are stories from people who did not put in the work, and it did not work out.

I understand that, but what about the OP's post made you think he was one of the few people who could do this successfully? Why wouldn't we give him a head's up?

Apparently your work never asked on the application if you knew how to read. Thats ok though, I made it bold so you would not miss it this time.

Asked what? We accept all dogs at our facility. What did I not read?

Not only do you not have any personal experience in this, but your going off of two dogs who could be owned by a complete a hole. I would be willing to bet you have had two littermates that did perfect there. You probably never even knew they were littermates. Even if you did I doubt that story would make it on this board.:roflmao::roflmao:
Yes, she probably is an ahole for getting two male littermates. I don't see your point. You don't know who the OP is, he could be the same way. Or not.
I don't understand why you are laughing so hard. What's so funny about adults trying to have an intelligent conversation? I've never been rude to you, so I don't understand why you seem to have something against me posting here.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Coming in as a breeder, I'd NEVER sell two puppies to the same home. I've got two sisters here that are 12 weeks old and am looking forward to just getting down to one. When they are playing together, they totally ignore me & housebreaking two is sooo much harder. I crate them separately for a few hours a day.

I would caution the OP to just get one puppy, wait a year at least and then get a second puppy. It is best to put about 2 years between puppies.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts