Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be moving for a month starting tomorrow for cancer treatment for my dog at Washington State University. I will be staying at a simple hotel, and most hotels don't let you leave your pets unattended so I came up with the idea of having a pet "sitter" watch the dogs 2-3 times a week while I run errands, etc. Can't leave them in the car much its 80-90 plus there so I'll need to leave them in the room. How do you experienced people go upon using a sitter? I posted an add in the local craigslist and got a couple responses, BUT any idiot with an email address can respond. I don't feel comfortable letting some stranger in my room while I'm gone with my 2 dogs. I've gotten a couple responses from people that "like dogs" and while its nice to have someone who likes dogs, I think that there has to be a little more to it then "liking dogs". I did have a couple nice people respond. One said she does a little sitting, doesn't mind dobermans and has references. Should I plan on calling the references and get some kind of photo copy of her ID just in case? Besides calling the references and photo copying her ID, I'm not sure theres many more safeguards I can apply to hiring a pet sitter. Does anyone have any suggestions, is calling the references and photo copying her ID enough? I'm sure most of you understand and wouldn't let just anyone watch your dogs at your place. (My place being the motel for a month). Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
Under the circumstance, moving away to get hospital care will be stressful enough, without the dogs...to worry about.
- my prayers, are with you DJS425

I know a guy, that paid a person $750/week (10 years ago) when he had to leave his dog.
Guy lives right in the house and becomes the 24/7 care giver, for his senior lab.
- food and bar, is all nicely stocked up...and the guy has all the free perks of living with the lab, as baby sitter...and makes some good coin...without a 9-5 normal job

My dobe would have bad SA for her Dad, if left in a day care or in a motel room, even with a sitter (and a kennel, would be a big no-no).
But Amy would be much better off, left in the comforts of our home (what she is use to), with adult supervision, and properly picked fun person.

P.S. - If I had to personally pick someone to live at my place (when I'm out of town), it would be my carpenter and his 2 sons (ages 15 & 17).
- the teenagers, are good to Amy / so one boy would stay behind, when his Dad went to the job site, and kid(s) would be paid to stay behind and watch Amy and attend to her wishes and needs

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I use to dog sit for a lady who had a Doberman and a Shiloh Shepherd. My now husband lived right down the street from her and whenever she use to walk her dogs, before I started dog sitting for her, I would always stop her and ask her about her Doberman. I think that something must have struck a chord with her because I became her dog sitter. I loved it so much and it really helped me get an even better understanding of the breed.

I am so sorry that you have to have treatments and on top of that you are trying to figure out something for your pet. I think calling and checking their references would be great. I know around here at the local police you can get a background check for free so maybe do that. Hey you are right that anyone can respond to a craigslist ad and for all you know they could have animal related charges against them. I will say a little prayer for you in hoping that something works out for you.

I do like the suggestion of a doggy daycare that watches them while you run errands.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Honestly the last place I would look is CL. I'd try contacting local good trainers in your area and ask for references.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
have you considered a short term rental instead of staying in a hotel? If you go that route then maybe you would be able to leave your dogs crated without supervision when you need to go out. It would be a more normal environment for your dogs and could save you some money in the long run too.

·
Banned
948 Posts
Look in the Yellow Pages, (I still love the Yellow Pages), but I know alot of companies are advertising online. You want an established business, with references available, and bonded and insured- 100%! I will explain: if you "'hire" anyone from CL, or a friend, or a friend-of-a-friend, then if, (God forbid), anything happens to THAT person--- then, you, the "employer," are liable. If anything happens to your pet, THAT person is not responsible. And, you are liable to pay employment taxes on anyone you hire. VERSUS a licensed and bonded company. If, (God forbid), anything happened to THAT person, and/or your beloved pet, the company assumes the liability.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I too would advise you to stay far away from CL, bunch of weirdos there. You would be much better off paying for short term daily boarding at a vet office if there's one in the area that does that. At least you know your dogs will be safe. I personally wouldn't trust anyone off of CL no matter how fabulous they present themselves or the references They might provide. They might steal your dogs.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
I like the short term rental idea and have thought about doing something like that myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My dogs are almost always with me; If I need to go into a store and they can't come, or I dont want to fool with bringing them, I simply lock the truck with it running and the AC on. I have another set of keys to get back in. May seem like a bad idea, but I havent had any problems in 5 yrs.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts