Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harvey will bark at unfamiliar noises or people outside the home..this is fine when they are people who i dont know .. he is a great watch dog

but...

Is there anyway that i can train him to stop barking when i am happy with the people who i know outside the home...

For instance ..i had a person come round who harvey had only see once and they entered through the back gate ~ He started barking warning me of their presence..(he is never aggresive though) .. I was happy for this person to be here but i would have liked Harvey to have known that and stop him from Barking.

any advice etc on training him to this will be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Enough! I use that to let Cole know it's ok. We recently moved to a busy subdivision compared to the isolated home we were at before. He barks at everyone walking by and I tell him enoough and and he will stop.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
A good way to get your point across also Twinkletoes to teach him when enough is enough. Put some coins or stones in a can, or even a plastic container with a lid. When you are ready for him to stop barking, rattle the can or conatainer so the noise distracts him. When he stops praise him. Don't make it so loud or obnoxious that it frightens or startles him, just enough to get his attention to look at you and stop barking coupled firmly with NO BARK, or whatever your command will be for him to stop.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
We had a little corgi mix (still do actually but he lives fat and happy with my inlaws in the country now, the whole I want to eat every kid I see after we had a kid wasn't so good) but Max barked at everything. Someone gave me the advice to teach him to bark on command, the theory here is if you have control to turn it on you gain better control in turning it off. It worked wonderfully. Within days he knew "speak" and the subsequent and much more important command of "quiet". Am going to do the same thing with Chi. She has become quite vocal lately. Even at just 4 months old I notice that people are intimidated by her bark, I can only imagine what these same people will do when she's an adult.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I use the word 'enough' as well when I want Ava to stop barking. It helped to drive my point home to her by showing her what I wanted her to do instead of barking like a fool like lie down, play with a toy, ect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts