Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I rehomed a 2 year old male doberman. His history, lived with same owner since 8 weeks old, kept in crate quite a lot and I think just not enough done with him.

Only neutered last Thursday.

So far has slept pretty well overnight, few wee accidents, eating well (very food orientated).

Up and fed, yesterday and today about 1 hour walk mid morning, then he comes back full of beans, gave him treat ball which he loves, then hes off round the house with a mischievous look on his face getting up to no good (tipped water bowl, feet on worktops, scraping doors (like a toddler which he is).

Im trying to ignore the unwanted behaviour but I cant when hes scraping doors, chewing on arm of leather sofa.

It is very early days and he has a lot of settling to do but i want to deal with things right from the start.

Today at 3pm I ended up popping him onto a lead to settle, he pretty much lay down and dozed off. Hes now out for the count.

Am I wrong to introduce crate again?

I am a dog groomer and want to take him to salon which I'm slightly concerned about right now.

Out on walks hes curious for what's about, dogs at other side of street he just watches, one closer today and he pulled on lead towards it and barked once (again I think just not had a lot of past experience seeing dogs a lot).

I'm hoping to meet with a dog Walker to walk with calm dog or should I just keep distance atm?

Plan is also to send him to daycare on days he cant go to salon with me which might help with doggy intros.

Sorry for long post, it's about 15 years since I had a young dog and i think I've forgotten what they're like lol

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
Crates, gates, tethering are definitely a good idea - set him up for success! Treat him like a puppy in terms of setting rules and boundaries.

·
Premium Member
7,539 Posts
Great suggestions MC.
Also consider..
Lots of recent changes for your pup.
‘Take it slow And develop your friendship.
Focus now on you and your pup before other activities.
Good time to teach “leave It”...
Placing dog on a lead was a great move on your part, some dogs need direction.
Establish trust between the two of you.
Several weeks of bonding. Learn your dogs body language by just watching him.
IMO...Its fun to watch them thinking.
Nosework is fun and a great way to engage together.
‘Pups watching your body language all the time.
Watch’em back! LOL
Congrats on your new pup.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Sounds like you are doing a good job. I'd be iffy about the doggie daycare - it may or may not work out well as Dobermans just are not known to do great in a crowd. I hope you continue to have success with him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for replies.
I'll be honest there were a few tears yesterday, it's been 19 months since I lost my old Rottie x and it felt a little overwhelming, but today is a new day.
I will get crate from garage and put gate up and take a little more control today.
I did a little scent work with him yesterday with treats round the kitchen, he did seem to enjoy that.
As regards daycare, there is a few options, a place that has LOTS of dogs (didn't quite think that was best suited for him), or daycare at persons house with just a few other dogs or luxury kennels (so own luxury indoor space with tv etc, their own outdoor space, 2 or 3 walks per day (onlead and offlead options) and stuffed kong.

Think I'm going with the latter, I'm going to see family for a day at end of month and was going to trial the kennels daycare.

Appreciate replies and advice, I'm sure I'll be asking more 👍

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,282 Posts
I always advise a two week shutdown with dogs over 4 months old. I have implemented this a number of times with personal and client dogs and it has gone well. It helps you establish rules while allowing the dog to settle nicely. Remember most dogs are not fully comfortable in their new homes for a few months, so don't be surprised if you continue to learn things about him.

Two week shutdown: The Two Week Shutdown | lgarinc

I find dobes are really "relationship dogs" where you have to build a relationship with the dog to gain true respect and understanding. The best way to do so is to train together- if you're having some issues after the shutdown with things like counter-surfing and chewing and other behaviors, definitely hire a trainer to help you out before it becomes a BIG problem. There are plenty of trainers that are doing private, in home, or virtual classes with the pandemic going.

One last thought... at his age he's right at the age where many people give up their dobes, especially males, due to various problematic behaviors which it sounds like you're discovering. This is very common, you'll notice most males in rescue are about his age for similar reasons. Naughtiness in the house, destructive behavior, hyper, boisterous... all this can be tamed with training but your trouble is not uncommon at all. A dog I don't know anything about is treated like a puppy until it proves I can trust more than that. Many times these dogs have had little to no training (though it's hard for me to imagine having a dog and investing ZERO time in it, sadly is the case for many even of my training clients) so it's not only accurate to do so but you also have to UNDO any "training" they've had to do these bad behaviors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for replying.
Crate is up, door is open, I threw some treats in, he put front feet in, stretched and got treats and reversed out. Given he has spent a lot of time in one in his old home hopefully he'll relax and go in willingly. Any tips would be appreciated.

Today after his walks I kept his lead on and about 10 minutes after he was asleep. Put it on while I was doing things round the house too and he has been calmer and not had the opportunities to get up to mischief.

I have enrolled on an online level one dog training course which we can work on each day at home.

But today has been a better day and I feel more in control 😵🤣

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Every day is a different day and I walked him earlier though I'm now thinking I'll try the Two Week Shutdown. I'm picking quiet streets but he saw dogs across the street and is just getting a bit fixated on standing still watching them. Its hard to keep him walking on and hes not interested in treats at that point. I feel like I'm tensing up and I'm going to create more of an issue. Should I let him stand and watch or jolly him along and keep walking?

The rescue brought him to the house a day before I got him and took him a walk, he saw other dogs across the street but walked on not really bothered.

Feel a little out of my depth this morning now.

Brought him home and played ball in the garden instead.

I'm going back to work first week in February and want to take him to salon which worries me atm.

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,282 Posts
Thank you for replying.
Crate is up, door is open, I threw some treats in, he put front feet in, stretched and got treats and reversed out. Given he has spent a lot of time in one in his old home hopefully he'll relax and go in willingly. Any tips would be appreciated.
I suggest crate games: Crate Games: What Are They and Why Should I Play Them With My Dog - Milwaukee Paws Pet Care - one of the biggest things I do with my dogs is that I feed exclusively in the crate. I currently live with a couple resource guarders plus the chihuahuas are not smart enough to not stick their heads in bowls belonging to dogs whose mouths they fit inside, so it's safer for everyone besides. Feeding in the crate is a big step into getting the dogs excited to go in and okay with staying in for some time.

Today after his walks I kept his lead on and about 10 minutes after he was asleep. Put it on while I was doing things round the house too and he has been calmer and not had the opportunities to get up to mischief.
Good! A lot of times mischief is going to be one of two things- he was never taught better and can't be expected to magically know what you don't want him to do, OR he is pushing boundaries and seeing what he is able to get away with. Keeping him from doing this is an important part of teaching him how to be a respectful dog in your house.

I have enrolled on an online level one dog training course which we can work on each day at home.

But today has been a better day and I feel more in control 😵🤣
I'm glad! It'll be up and down from here on out until you're both comfortable with each other.

Every day is a different day and I walked him earlier though I'm now thinking I'll try the Two Week Shutdown. I'm picking quiet streets but he saw dogs across the street and is just getting a bit fixated on standing still watching them. Its hard to keep him walking on and hes not interested in treats at that point. I feel like I'm tensing up and I'm going to create more of an issue. Should I let him stand and watch or jolly him along and keep walking?

The rescue brought him to the house a day before I got him and took him a walk, he saw other dogs across the street but walked on not really bothered.

Feel a little out of my depth this morning now.
The problem with walks is that there are many exciting things to get up to, from pulling on leash to barking at other dogs, and sometimes yes you can make a problem worse by tensing up or showing anxiety during the situation. Honestly the best thing to do is get your trainer involved and see what they think. Without actually seeing the behavior, I'm not comfortable giving any further advice on that particular topic.

Brought him home and played ball in the garden instead.

I'm going back to work first week in February and want to take him to salon which worries me atm.
If you are going on walks for his exercise, I would probably stop the walks until he's settled in, yes. Ball in the garden and some fun in bigger rooms of the house are going to be a better option for you. Additionally, you may need to make alternate plans if he can't come to the salon with you right away. This is a process that takes time and can't be rushed. If you rush him, he will not be ready. Go at his pace, and figure out plan B if it comes to that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you again for the lengthy reply.
I fed him last night and this morning (split into four small amounts) in his crate, very enthusiastic to go in. I pushed door partly closed for a short time while eating.

Gave him a stuffed Kong last night (not in crate) but he loved that and kept him occupied for quite a while.

I read that some people think keeping dog attached to you could lead to separation anxiety (which rescue said he might suffer a little from) but atm I feel keeping him attached is more beneficial to stop him doing things he shouldn't (and those things are getting less).

Dog walker coming to meet him on Monday so I'll chat with her, also the daycare hes going to at end of month is owned by a dog trainer so I'll get his thoughts. We are in middle of a stricter lockdown atm so a lot of things arent allowed to be open etc.

Daycare is the only option if he cant come to the salon with me, realistically I cant afford that cost daily longterm and leaving him home alone isnt an option either (I live alone).

He might not be the right dog for my lifestyle/work but that was discussed with the rescue and we all agreed the only way to find out if he and I were suited was to bring him home and try.

Rescue behaviourist team going to speak to me as well.

I'm trying to focus on the wee positives each day and not get overwhelmed by the bigger picture.

If theres anything else I could be doing please let me know, I appreciate you are all very experienced with Dobermans.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Naughtiness in the house, destructive behavior, hyper, boisterous... all this can be tamed with training but your trouble is not uncommon at all. A dog I don't know anything about is treated like a puppy until it proves I can trust more than that. Many times these dogs have had little to no training (though it's hard for me to imagine having a dog and investing ZERO time in it, sadly is the case for many even of my training clients) so it's not only accurate to do so but you also have to UNDO any "training" they've had to do these bad behaviors.

Jaz ! Excellent reply ! Excellent ! Just few things here , If you are planning on taking him to a day care - I would get him his K-9 cough shot for sure . Jaz really nailed it to me - the lack of at home training , I have taken all of our Dobers to training classes - after 2 or 3 sessions - It' clear who works with there dogs from class to class , I often ask my self - why are they even taking this class . I do have a big advantage here , We farm , so I'm in and out all the time - no set hours to clock in , so to speak , But that gives me lots of time to work with him Or her , we don't have any set hours for training - it is on , off all day long - maybe for only seconds , like , can you set for dad ? when they do , boy do they get praise , other times - It may be like a class , OB can do wonders for your dog and you , besides it's fun to do as you will see it working first hand . It is so easy to train with your dog in house , not only sit , but all of them - down , stay , figure 8's , distractions - this is so simple to do - lay a ball or toy down , go threw your other training and then walk by the ball or toy , he has to leave it alone when you walk by . I have found that any of our dogs that get into trouble are bored , they are looking for something to do . We have a little hell on wheels here now , LOL - a real handful !!!!!!!!!!!!! But I sure am making head way with her , I really upped the training and yesterday ? WOW - it must have hit here as we made big strides . One of my favorite training things is , I make them sit and stay when I fill there feed bowl , no sit and stay - No food , it is amazing how fast they will pick this one up ! Then I up the annie - I will make them sit , stay , then set the bowl down , and walk away , they will burn holes threw you , waiting for the release , but its good training .

BTW - We have had Dobers for many years , a year ago we lost our Ali girl , even thou we had Mr. B with us , and now little girl , I still will have them moments and that overwhelming moment , It's normal : ))

Best of luck !! Look forward to more of your reports : )))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts