Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 year old spayed female, Beauty and my 10 week old unaltered male, Axel play all the time and sometimes Beauty nibbles on Axel like eating corn on the cob. I know that is de-fleaing and neither of them have had fleas. But why does she do it during play? Is it something other then de-fleaing? What does it mean?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,450 Posts
My girl does that to my boy, never the other way around. She also bites at his hocks and makes a generally nuisance of herself.

I know she is the dominant dog, and the times when she shows this behavior are play times when she is displaying a heavy dose of "look who's boss" behavior, so I always figured it was her way of establishing or maintaining dominance.

Maybe someone else will chime in..........

·
Registered
974 Posts
My 6 year old spayed female, Beauty and my 10 week old unaltered male, Axel play all the time and sometimes Beauty nibbles on Axel like eating corn on the cob. I know that is de-fleaing and neither of them have had fleas. But why does she do it during play? Is it something other then de-fleaing? What does it mean?
I watched a programme where they described the unique bite style of the Doberman. Whereas most other dogs will latch on once and hold a Doberman will do what they were classing as a "scissor bite", where they basically do what you described as how you eat corn on the cob. Odin does it to my arm when we are playing. Its probably a dominance thing but never mind eh! So as long as you are happy they don't have fleas I wouldn't worry about it being unusual behaviour for a Dobe.

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
My first two dobes Eddie & Amber used to do this to each other as well. Eddie used to do it more often though, he'd nibble Amber's neck.
Thanks for reminding me with this thread, it bought back a beautiful memory of my much missed dober angels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Dobergirl does this like crazy to other dogs! She does it when play time is cooling down though, and before naps. They all love it and go kind of catatonic, LOL.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Chase will do it mid play. I call it fierce grooming. He can be too rough tho, and usually will pinch the skin and end up with an earful from the other dog.

I can't let him do it to me, last time I ended up with raised bruises. Nothing he does is subtle :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Diesel does it to our cat! All the time. He will do it all along her spine when they are playing together. She likes it sometimes, other times she dips her back and runs away.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've always called it pinching because it can really hurt. My Great Dane does it to her bedding, but I've always assumed it's a habit from all the puppies she had.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Harley does it when I scratch right above his tail nub. Usually to himself, but sometimes he does it to me, it doesn't hurt though. I was really surprised the first time he did it.

ETA: sometime he does it to his bed too, only the fleece part... no idea why.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy use to be a sucker, and seemed to do the corn cob quick/little bites...before she locked her jaws, into her side...like a warmup.
- I think her idea was to let on she wasn't sucking, so the corn cob first and see if mom or dad was looking...lol
At night, in bed...did the same corn cob bites...I would laugh, and say "Amy you don't have fleas"...now go to sleep"...He-He.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
:D My Petey would beat the crap out of Monty and just as you thought he was going to do Monty in, he would then flea bite him all over his body, it was so cute.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts