Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post on the boards here. 3 weeks ago we took in a rescue doberman. We are told he could be anywhere from 3-7 years old. Although most people with dobe experience think its on the younger side I that range. He is the sweetest dog ever. When inside the house. But pulled HARD on leash. He is always excited when the leash came out. After a few days we notice he would lung/bark at other dogs while walking, ten he started barking at the window at every dog that went by, and sometimes people without a dog. This lead us to take him for a professional assessment. It was deems he is not aggressive, just not socialized. The trainer gave us a new correction technique (because treats for good behaviour had little to no effect) after very little correction he now walks with a loose leash. He is still kind of leading sometimes, but is leaps and bound better than the first week. Now though into the 3rd week he seems to be lunging/barking at people that are walking by on the path. And of course still at dogs. It seems he is getting worse when meeting strangers while on leash. One lady that took the time to stop (even after he barked) and asked if it was ok to approach him. She let him snug her then gave him a pet. His demeanour instantly changed. And he was wagging and licking her hand. Is this increased "notice" of people because of the more forceful correction? Any help, theories, techniques or stories would be appreciated. I apologize for the long drawn out post.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
not sure what to suggest other that keep up the good work that your trainer recommended.

maybe a bit of desensitizing............... somehow immerse him safely around people, so much and so often that he will soon get over the reactivness he is now exhibiting to them.

i hope more training knowledgable members will give you some recommendations.

bless you for Fostering!

Hugz to you and yours.

·
Super Moderator
22,848 Posts
Corrections often make the problem worse when it comes to lunging/barking/reacting to other people or dogs. What you often see (and it sounds like this might be happening for you), is that the correction initially suppresses the behavior and then it comes back worse.

I personally really like the methods in Leslie McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed." If you can find a trainer who uses either that or Grisha Stewart's BAT method I think you would see dramatic improvement. My go-to listing for qualified trainers is here: Search for Professionals

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The corrections were to fix his pulling on the leash, which it did. This is a "new" problem that seemed to get worse while his leash etiquette got better. I do not use the "pop" correction when he encounters other dogs/people. Just try to keep walking at my pace

·
Super Moderator
22,848 Posts
Reactions: Fosterparents

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you are fostering through a rescue group, please go to them for advice as well. Most groups would rather you discuss any issues with the coordinators/directors/trainers before seeking advice on a public forum.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am here on the forumnd just for opinions and ideas! We do have a supervisor who is very helpful. But we have just been reading a lot on this forumn and there seemed to be a solid community of doberman lovers. The info I get here will be used to teach/train myself combined with the help of our supervisor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dealing with rescues myself, I always start off with a choke collar with any new dog while walking, also I use a "stable" dog as well. When I got my dobe, he was horrible about pulling and encountering new people. So I started taking my lab with me when I would walk Prince. At first I had them on one leash with a connector piece, so he would keep pace with my lab, who doesnt react to anything, within 2 weeks Prince stopped pulling and reacting to other influences. Now he goes out in public without a problem and new people and dogs arent a problem as well.

Bless you for fostering!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts