Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you all remember at what age your Dobermans began acting more like adults and less like puppies? More specifically, I am referring to their protective instincts, etc. Thanks everyone...

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Nope - I can't remember what I did yesterday let alone when Isabelle started acting like a big girl. :lol2: I do remember her going on patrol in the backyard even when she was a pup. She is 7 now - so that was a long, long time ago...this lack of memory is why I want a puppy :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mavis was about two when she clocked in as a real watch dog. Then she got real good, real fast.

So far, Mensa is about 14 months and the only watch dog tendencies she shows is when she barks at the neighbor's St Bernards.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey seems like he has started already. He is only 6.5 months but is already very aware of who is coming and going around him. There have been two times that people have made him nervous and I think he picked up my nervousness and woofed at the people. One was my drug addict brother....he went to nap on my couch and Petey followed him and laid down and stared at him the entire time he was asleep. I hadn't seen my brother in over 2 years(at my Dad's funeral), and am always a wreak when he is around. The other time, while out hiking we ran into a guy who was wearing dark sunglasses like my brother had on that day. He didn't want to be petted by that guy. Eventually he was fine and licked his face.

Carol & Petey ox

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sabot is just now doing that....he is growling when a stranger approaches and when a new dog approaches...not sure how I feel about that.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I do remember that Lexus did not actually bark once until she was 11 months old (other then play yipping when playing with my other dogs to get them going). She seemed watchful of her surroundings before that though, maybe at about 6 months, not protective persay, just seemed to watch some people more.

I would guesstimate about a year and a half before she really started watching out windows, and letting her hackles go up a bit when she saw something that didn't seem right to her.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
hmmm, The puppy-ness never rally went away, its just more controlled and only at certain times Nikki transgresses back to puppyhood. I hope that never stops. I would have to say somewhere between 18 months and 2 years that a noticeable change occurred in her.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Titus seemed to be protective from an early age. I think that he was around 6 or 7 months old and he would bark at his own reflection in the fireplace. He started barking a pretty young age and would let anyone know about it if they rang the bell or knocked on the door. At the time we really did not have alot of visitors so when someone would knock on the door he did not associate it with being a guest.
Jada is only 7 months old but at times I will compare her to Titus at that age and they have two totally different personalities. She is really not so protective and really enjoys being around everyone and every dog. Titus was aloof from an early age.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I think Orson was around 6-7 months (not sure, it could have been a little less) when he would do "patrol" of the house if he heard something or if I teased him saying "What is it?" He would go to every room with a window to look out of.........sometimes twice.

He is now a year old, and I can't fake him out anymore, hehehe, When I ask him "what is it?" he will perk up, listen, and then go back to his business. Unless of course there is actually a noise to check :D

·
Banned
61 Posts
Zohran is 7 months at the moment and he still reacts like a puppy, everybody is great. When he see a strange man/ woman he react like he know that person for years so happy he is! And he only barks at a command ( luid/ loud in english) or when someone plays with a ball right befor his nose.

Annelies & Zohran

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
******* started at about 8 months old. She would bark, investigate, and then wag her nub if I talked to the person. Now at 10 months she barks at every little noise, it's driving me nuts!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Trin was about 5.5/6 months. It's funny the very first time because it's so distinct. I was actually on here trying to find the answer to the same question! I was kinda worried Trin was going to be a sissy girl. But one day the FedEx man dropped a package at the door and she ran like a bat out of hell. She never did that..she would always ignore the knocks/doorbells/loud yells/etc. She also barked (I mean BARK...that low throaty one lol) at someone for the first time that night too. It was a neighbor we didn't particularly care for...and I guess she didn't either lol She scared the crap out of me cause I didn't even know she could bark that low. It was like PUBERTY! VOICE CHANGE!

Now my babygirl.......BARKS AT CRYING BABIES! IRL and on TV. And She has to be the one to stick her head out the door first as if to tell me..."Mom, I got this. Let me make sure he's not a bad guy"....She is also extremely recepetive to "What's that?". I thought that was the coolest thing ever man. hahaha. Then she starts to clear the house like she's on a damn SWAT team. In her dreamsssssss.

Sorry if all I did was this haha:blah_2_ma

·
Registered
151 Posts
Karlee and Teak were 6 mos on May 8. We noticed today that Karlee was sitting in the middle of the back yard in a perfect protection stance - ears perked just looking around like she was "waiting" for something to happen or someone to come by to bark at. Teak on the other hand was laying off to the side - more than happy to let her sister do all the "work!"

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Ilsa started at about 5 months... and cornered an intruder in the house at only 5 months of age. We were all stunned... little bitty Doberman puppy, barking and holding a complete stranger who had tried to run through the house to escape his pursuer... the guy had stolen a bike, and the owner was chasing him!

·
Registered
696 Posts
ACooper,

We also do the "Who here?" bit with our dogs. My Boston don't fall for it anymore eaither.

Anywho,
Our girls are 5 months and already barking and pacing when there is a knock of the front door. (Learned behavior from my Boston.) Rowen has such a deep bark I wonder if I should discourage her from doing this. Rowen will charge people, and then run back, and then charge again when she knows things are ok, Nubbie wagging. Rayna stays behind her sister at all times, but will charge with her as well. She don't bark though.

Also when they are outside and someone drives up, they do semi-circles back and forth while barking. They will be great gaurd dogs I'm sure. I worry though. I worry that because there are two, they may get some sort of "Pack" thing going on. I tell our kids not to try and run from them. I notice when they do, they dobes chase and stare right at the backs of there legs, never bite, but still.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts