Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Emma and Vader
59 Posts
Second the Australian shepherd. I’m younger with more limited dog experience and ended up in Aussies instead of my first choice (dobermans). They’re a cool breed, medium size, smart, devoted, and overall seem to be a bit more healthy then some of the larger breeds (or short legged breeds for that matter). Just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Given all the information you've provided, I would really consider looking for a dog in the Toy Group - dogs that are bred to be companion dogs. Dogs like Dobermans, or Corgis, are bred for work - they have a lot of energy and drive, and for a first time dog owner who is still young, with a lot of responsibilities aside from dog ownership, and not as much experience raising a dog, those types of dogs are a lot of work, with a lot more needs.

Dogs bred for the purpose of companionship are designed to be companions, and the smaller size means less work, too. They are also a lot easier when it comes to finding housing.

Just my opinion, but there are a lot of nice breeds in that category that would do a great job in the role of being a great friend, and let you learn to be a great dog owner.

Picking a dog based on purpose and compatibility is really the best way to be successful, not based on looks :)

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Regarding the ESA: make sure it's actually prescribed by your doctor rather than faking it to have whatever dog you want. There are laws regarding ESAs, just like Service Animals, and fakes make life harder for those with legitimate need.
Given all the information you've provided, I would really consider looking for a dog in the Toy Group - dogs that are bred to be companion dogs. Dogs like Dobermans, or Corgis, are bred for work - they have a lot of energy and drive, and for a first time dog owner who is still young, with a lot of responsibilities aside from dog ownership, and not as much experience raising a dog, those types of dogs are a lot of work, with a lot more needs.

Dogs bred for the purpose of companionship are designed to be companions, and the smaller size means less work, too. They are also a lot easier when it comes to finding housing.

Just my opinion, but there are a lot of nice breeds in that category that would do a great job in the role of being a great friend, and let you learn to be a great dog owner.

Picking a dog based on purpose and compatibility is really the best way to be successful, not based on looks :)
Also ALL OF THIS. Toy breeds tend to have a much longer lifespan than this breed, they're easier to travel with, they're easier to find housing with, they're cheaper to feed, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I checked out the questionnaire and yes, they ask everything about my house and the yard, etc. It seems reputable, they ask if you have a vet, a yard, if any dogs died in the past 12 months, etc. But I'm still wondering if I should adopt that Doberman puppy or not. I can certainly take her out for 1-2 hours everyday, play with her whenever I have time, feed her, train her to pee and poo outside only, and do whatever she needs to be happy. I just don't know if the space in my apartment (which is 1 bedroom, 1 living room, kitchen and a very small patio) will be enough for her. If it is fine I don't want to be disqualified for not having a yard.
I’ve had Dobermans all my life and THEY REQUIRE more room and exercise than seems you can provide. I would not recommend a Doberman.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've found a Doberman puppy for adoption and I'm super excited to possibly adopt her. She's still 8 weeks old but she's the cutest puppy I've ever seen. Besides that, we live in an apartment and no one leaves the house. There's always one person in the house, all the time, and we will all be committed to making her happy. How do you think we can accommodate this beautiful pup? I just want to make sure we give her all the space and comfort we can and keep her happy !!!

So basically just asking what are some things I have to keep in mind before I get her pertaining to my conditions?
Thank you so much!! :):)
Get a Doggie Lawn or equivalent for peeing indoors when you need it fast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If you are thinking about one of the herding breeds you might want to do a fairly extensive search for Corgi health. One of the times I was thinking about trying another breed than a Doberman and I looked for insight from a friend who had corgi's, bred and showed them for years and practically the first thing she said was that corgi's had a built in problem as does any breed who are long backed and short legged. And while she said corgi's, while a lot of fun were a more fragile breed in her opinion and suggested I check out Australian Shepherd breeders. Ultimately I did and got an Aussie from foundation stock when the AKC moved Aussie out of Miscellaneous and into Herding group.

My friend was right. The Aussie was a fun breed, bright and trainable and worked well with the Dobermans that I went back to--he was sturdy as an old boot. Got along with the Dobes, never scared anyone and never make finding a place to rent a problem (well, except for the general problem of no dogs allowed) and I had him for 13 years.

Good luck with your search though...

dobebug
Thanks a ton again! I don't know why but I tend to opt for the dachshunds, corgis and bassets... all which have short legs and long backs. And you say your Australian Shepard did well in an apartment? (I do realize the amount of exercise makes an impact on that but I'm not entirely sure how much drive training I can do.. I can do moderate amounts)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm going out on a limb here but I have to give you my 2 cents. I don't think you have enough time or room because Dobermans take a lot of both, especially puppies. We've been looking for a puppy for several years now after losing our last 2 Dobes to health issues. We now have a Cojack, 1/2 Corgi and 1/2 half Jack Russell, and he's been a fantastic dog except for the shedding. Super smart and pretty low key unless we go somewhere, then he's very active. Maybe a Miniature Pinscher might be a good fit for you. Good luck and it's great you're putting a lot of thought into this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks! I'm not looking to get a Doberman anymore. Maybe when I settle into my own house after getting a job... hopefully
Kudos to you for making a decision based on research rather than just want or feelings. I think you're making the right choice, however. I can't imagine trying to properly exercise a Doberman and not having a yard or a large area to run that's very nearby.

Also, I want to echo another poster that cautioned having a Dobe while being a renter. It isn't just difficult - it's nearly impossible. We've had our girl for nearly 11 years and rented for the first ten. Three of those years were spent traveling the country (for my wife's work). Having our Doberman with us meant finding places to live 1000x more difficult (you almost always have to find a renter that's an independent property owner) and it caused us to spend much more money for what was usually not a place that was as convenient or nice as other places that were cheaper AND nicer but didn't allow certain breeds or sizes.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Kudos to you for making a decision based on research rather than just want or feelings. I think you're making the right choice, however. I can't imagine trying to properly exercise a Doberman and not having a yard or a large area to run that's very nearby.
Heck, we had a yard but no fence for the first half a year or so with our first Doberman before we got our fence put in, and I said NEVER AGAIN!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: It's just such a pain. Not that my dogs are only exercised in my yard, or anything like that, but it's so inconvenient to take dogs out on a leash for EVERY potty break, at least for me!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heck, we had a yard but no fence for the first half a year or so with our first Doberman before we got our fence put in, and I said NEVER AGAIN!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: It's just such a pain. Not that my dogs are only exercised in my yard, or anything like that, but it's so inconvenient to take dogs out on a leash for EVERY potty break, at least for me!
It IS so annoying. We did a short stint in San Fransisco and for every potty break we had to take Rams out on a leash and tree to tree along the street (which just had gravel around them). She wasn't a fan, haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I've been told a miniature Pinscher is a good fit for me! I've been thinking about them as well... I'm definitely not going to opt for any dogs in the sporting or working group, since they need more exercise? And are generally bigger so they cannot do well in an apartment (Correct me if I'm wrong!). I did do a bit of research about how people train their dogs- using food drives and tug drives and toy drive, etc, right? And I know that most dogs in the hound tend to have ?prey drives? (Again please correct me if I am wrong!)
A friend of mine who trains their dogs told me that they recommend me to use flirt poles, herding balls, and barn hunts if I get a corgi, which can help the dog take out it's energy somewhere. Is this good?
I have been looking at different breeds and found the basset hound a few days ago and I love them XD
I know they tend to have slipped discs and other back issues but we do not have stairs or very tall beds in our house, and I asked a few owners about how they keep their corgis, dachshunds and basset hounds. All of them mentioned something about using ramps, however they did mention that corgis need to exercise more than you would think.
And again, the problem with finding good breeders. I realize I will have to wait at least a year to find a line that's been genetically tested and healthy... which I'm fine with. The longer I wait the more I'll learn about the breeds!
Again thanks for your help and please let me know anything you find wrong about this! Glad I made the right decision with the Doberman puppy. I'd rather for her to go into a house where she can be treated properly (let's hope people do their research...). :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
makes sense! this isn't the first time I heard this about corgis, I realized that they do need tons of play to get their energy out. you're right !

Regarding the ESA: make sure it's actually prescribed by your doctor rather than faking it to have whatever dog you want. There are laws regarding ESAs, just like Service Animals, and fakes make life harder for those with legitimate need.
I'm asking my therapist to give me the letter. I've been seeing her from september and with online school it's been really hard on me, and I've always wanted to have a pet which can help channel out my energy or whatever negative energy I'm feeling. I've been looking into tortoises for over 2 years and I looked into fish for about a year before I decided that those animals may not be the best at getting me on my feet LOL

I'm going out on a limb here but I have to give you my 2 cents. I don't think you have enough time or room because Dobermans take a lot of both, especially puppies. We've been looking for a puppy for several years now after losing our last 2 Dobes to health issues. We now have a Cojack, 1/2 Corgi and 1/2 half Jack Russell, and he's been a fantastic dog except for the shedding. Super smart and pretty low key unless we go somewhere, then he's very active. Maybe a Miniature Pinscher might be a good fit for you. Good luck and it's great you're putting a lot of thought into this.
I totally agree, it's hard to accept but I only want a breed that I know I can fully take care for sure. Looks don't matter to me in regards of dogs, they all are funky XD Congrats on your new puppy and thanks!

Sorry for all the excessive posting.. I just want to make sure I don't ignore anyone's advice! Some of the posts don't alert my email :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
AHH by channeling out my negative feelings I did not mean anything abusive!! Sorry if it seems that way I just realized! Taking care of animals has always been enjoyable for me that's what I meant.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I'm glad you're thinking with your head and not your heart, for sure. :) Stick around, we have some members who don't have Dobes. You'll learn a ton from the group.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm glad you're thinking with your head and not your heart, for sure. :) Stick around, we have some members who don't have Dobes. You'll learn a ton from the group.
I plan to! You guys seem very knowledgeable about this and it wouldn't hurt to learn XD
( I'm already stalking old posts... :LOL:)
I have a small question though. I know that setting up meet with other dogs of the same breed or similar is very important for socialization, how do you guys usually find a group that's not bringing in ill or aggressive dogs? or should I avoid this completely?
And how are you guys getting your dog associated and comfortable with children and adults?

·
Registered
Emma and Vader
59 Posts
I plan to! You guys seem very knowledgeable about this and it wouldn't hurt to learn XD
I have a small question though. I know that setting up meet with other dogs of the same breed or similar is very important for socialization, how do you guys usually find a group that's not bringing in ill or aggressive dogs? or should I avoid this completely?
And how are you guys getting your dog associated and comfortable with children and adults?
For the same breed, I’d think to get in contact with a chapter club in your area.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Socialization is more than just playtime. Expose the dog to all sorts of situations in a safe manner. Sit outside a playground (but don't allow kids to approach). Bring the dog around people and children you know and trust, and allow play to happen with well behaved, dog-savvy children. Bring the dog places where they can be exposed to strange noises. One super important thing: don't allow dogs to play while on leash. This can lead to someone getting stuck, and panicking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Socialization is more than just playtime. Expose the dog to all sorts of situations in a safe manner. Sit outside a playground (but don't allow kids to approach). Bring the dog around people and children you know and trust, and allow play to happen with well behaved, dog-savvy children. Bring the dog places where they can be exposed to strange noises. One super important thing: don't allow dogs to play while on leash. This can lead to someone getting stuck, and panicking.
Oh, okay. I was told not to let anyone touch dogs during corona, especially since you can't wipe them off like groceries LOL but I'll look into friends and their siblings. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts