Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is such a great source for newbies, this is our third doberman, but our first blue doberman. Rex is 2 years old, has a wonderful coat, but is there anything special he should be given so it stays that nice? We will be switching him over to Fromms Four Star kibble, but that will take a few weeks. He seems very itchy, not sure if it's nerves or a real itch. He is a sweet boy, loves to give kisses and is very playful. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hi! Welcome from Virginia!
:wavey:

Are you sure he doesn't have allergies? I don't know the food you posted, but others will chime in with other fantastic suggestions!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Bless you for choosing to adopt. Thank you.

It would be a good idea to have him into your Vet's to have his thyroid levels checked.

Pictures when you get the chance please!

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Such a handsome Doberboy.

Is the itch in the same area or does he itch on all parts of his body?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Welcome! The itch may be due to dry skin, a good diet and fish oil can help greatly. Do you see redness, bumps, fur loss, or any strange smells on your dogs coat? It can be very frustrating for a dog to feel itchy all the time, have you thought of going to the vets to get it checked out? Another reason for dry skin can be due to a low functioning thyroid. Hope your boy gets som relief soon :)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Rex is cute, big congrats! Thanks for adopting him.

I have had some luck in supplementing with MSM (a joint supplement), and some swear it helps with hair loss.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great advice, will look into fish oil. Has anyone tried Flax seed? His itch is like on a shoulder and he chews on his hind leg sometimes.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
omg what a totally handsome guy!! He has such a sweet face!
We give Bella fish oil pills every day, and we dont really have any issues with her skin, she's a red.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
thank you for adopting !! maybe Sardines.... sorry i have never had a blue ... but what a beauty

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am also adopting a blue girl from someone who was about to put her in rescue. She is moving into a rental that will not allow her to keep her. This is my second doberman, first one is a red.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice, will look into fish oil. Has anyone tried Flax seed? His itch is like on a shoulder and he chews on his hind leg sometimes.

What a beauty! Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think dogs can process flax seeds very well. I would use a good quality fish oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts