Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ! I adopted a doberman puppy from a friend and he says that he is 39 days old. But I doubt if he is.. he is too skinny and his skin sheds. How do I take good care of him? I am attaching his photo. Please help.

Attachments

·
Big Lil pup
6,735 Posts
Hi See. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

I realize that you are in India and there may still be limited access to veterinary care. But the first thing this puppy needs is a thorough exam from a vet. He probably need to be dewormed, his first round of shots and maybe even some antibiotics for what looks like a staff infection. The vet can also direct you as to what direction to take for a puppy so young and ill cared for.

Without professional care, this little guy might have a very rough road ahead.

Best to you and the pup.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi See. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

I realize that you are in India and there may still be limited access to veterinary care. But the first thing this puppy needs is a thorough exam from a vet. He probably need to be dewormed, his first round of shots and maybe even some antibiotics for what looks like a staff infection. The vet can also direct you as to what direction to take for a puppy so young and ill cared for.

Without professional care, this little guy might have a very rough road ahead.

Best to you and the pup.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
I took him to a vet and gave his first dose of deworm. N his first set of vaccinations r over as well. Any diet routines recommended? Anyway thank you so much for your time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome, and That's good that your pup has seen the vet!
Yikes 5.6 weeks is very young to leave his littermates and Mother! How much does he weigh?
For bumps similar on Loki I have successfully treated his small outbreak with chlorhexidine liquid soap/ mixed with water and an 'over the counter' topical antibiotic ointment. Be sure to do every day. When I left for 5 days my husband did not treat and they went under the skin, and I was worried, but have now I have cleared them up. You can also try a vinegar water spray or strong liquid dish soap.
But your pup may need internal treatment (vet prescribed pills) if his condition is rampant. I'm not sure at all what is safe for such a young dog, and only saying from my own experience with over 10 months old dogs.
I don't know if it is fed to young puppies, but several drops of salmon oil on their food is a good skin and coat conditioner.

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
At this point, good food and plenty of it. As the puppy is so young, I would soak the food in some warm water or even some milk replacer or goats milk for about 20-30 minutes first. Feed at least 3 times a day and even 4 for the next 3 weeks or so. An 8 week old puppy should get about one cup of kibble 3 times a day - so at less than 6 weeks it will be less than that - but work up to 3 cups over the next 3 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts