Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen lots of photos and threads on backpacks, vests, jackets for the dogs. I would really like to get backpacks and lifejackets for my kids, also looking at cooling jackets.
Problem: I have tried regular dog jacket on both of mine. Malia will tolerate the jacket, so I think she will adapt.
Magnum goes absolutely ape sh!t with the jacket on. Year before last we had winter in FL. Magnum gets cold, so..tried the jacket. He started jumping and bucking and flailing around like a untethered mechanical bull! I literally had to tackle him. He was slaming into walls, knocked over the BBQ grill, busted a window in the back door..I was really concerned he would get injured.
I have NEVER tried that again. Is it something you can get them to accept? I think Mag. would enjoy the water, but I would be afraid for him w/o a life jacket.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Given his initial reaction I would try to ease him into wearing it as gently as you can. Maybe start by draping a towel or sweater over his body for a few minutes, twice a day. Make it a positive thing with treats and lots of praise. Reward him for calm behaviour while it's on him. Once he's ok with that, try the jacket again, for a few minutes, a few times a day. Gradually work on increasing the length of time until he no longer seems phased by it. Once you can get him used to wearing a jacket, something like a lifejacket or backpack should be no sweat.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty harsh reaction to a coat. Did the coat have buckles/straps, etc that fastened on his back? Just wondering if something on the coat hurt his back or applied pressure to it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's a pretty harsh reaction to a coat. Did the coat have buckles/straps, etc that fastened on his back? Just wondering if something on the coat hurt his back or applied pressure to it.
Nope, no buckles. It was a fleece that was partial zip (sternum forward) and one Velcro strap (a bit forward his "manhood"). It was snug on him but in NO WAY tight. Made sure nothing caught in zip or velcro.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Interesting. The towel and blanket was how we eased Aries into the idea of a jacket--- Alaska vacations with him just wouldn't work without one--- and then when we started taking him on hikes with us and got him a backpack we used the positive reinforcement of "Hey! We're outside having fun!"

For the backpack specifically we definitely did not put anything in it because we made the mistake of putting a spare collar that jingled in a pocket and it really freaked him out at first. Once he got used to the idea that the backpack meant fun times with mom and dad he really warmed up to it. Now I can't touch it without him going crazy!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
well, if you don't think it was hurting him, I would introduce the coat in small steps. Allow him to sniff it, then treat. Allow him to touch it, then treat. Lay it on his arm, treat if no reaction. Keep going in small steps until he's comfortable wearing it. I would also keep the strap very loose, not snug, then see how he reacts.

Nope, no buckles. It was a fleece that was partial zip (sternum forward) and one Velcro strap (a bit forward his "manhood"). It was snug on him but in NO WAY tight. Made sure nothing caught in zip or velcro.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts