Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new to this site so hopefully I'm doing this right. I have a 14 week old puppy (Stryker) who has his ears cropped. I've had a Boxer and GS previously so know how to post ears, but this puppy is in a league of his own for removing my good work. I've tried the tampon method (different sizes), the paper towel method and the molefoam method - have not tried the backer rod method yet though. Of the methods I have tried none have lasted beyond 3 days (if that) before he rips them out. I am putting the posts in deep enough (trust me on this) and doing the whole 11 am/1 pm thing and twisting and stretching to seat the ends deep enough. We have a vet who specializes in ear cropping and taping and twice I have resorted to paying $30/session :cry: to see if their method is any more successful (they use corset rods) - nope no better, at least mine typically lasts a few days, theirs lasted less than one! The one saving grace is that his ears are standing beautifully even though he is quite young, but who knows with teething.

Given my lack of success, I decided to try glue to help with the sticking and have tried Hollister medical adhesive spray and Kamar adhesive, again I find he has them off within days. This is seriously one determined puppy. Anyways, I am thinking of using either Tear Mender or Torbot, does anyone have any feedback on which glue is better for my situation?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I did not use any form of glue on my dobe's ears when she was in posts. The Zonas tape I used was adequate.

However, I did use Tearmender on my Aussie's ears based on the breeder's recommendation. (Ears get folded over and glued into that position - obviously a much different scenario than Dobe ears.) But Tearmender was a major PIA as far as I am concerned. It was like super glue x 10! It is so incredibly strong that it was impossible to remove. You sure as heck don't want to get it on your clothing or any fabric - it's permanent. Eventually as the hair grew on my pup's ears, they would become detached and we would re-glue again. On average I would say this was every 3-4 weeks. And it wasn't until the ear hair really grew out though that I was eventually able to get the Tearmender out (probably 6 weeks). It would have taken a lot of work and pain to the dog to work that stuff out with the glue remover sooner because the ear hair was attached to it.

So, I really cannot imagine using Tearmender on dobe ears. I believe it would be terribly difficult to remove the posts, and you really need to remove those and change them out on a Dobe on a regular basis or else you risk infection.

I have no experience with the other glue you reference. Hopefully someone else who has experience with your scenario will chime in with other ideas!

Good luck!

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
Fro what I've read on here, Torbot is the preferred adhesive. You'll need to get some adhesive remover, though.

Reactions: rrand and Daegan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts