Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort off topic as far as Dobermans go but I was wondering if anyone has had success with a dog(or cat) using Adequan injections for spinal arthritis. I ask because my 17 year old cat, Mitzi has some spondylosis(sp?) which is causing her to lose control of her bladder. I have her on Cosequin for cats but I don't see that it's doing much good. One of the dr's I work with suggested Adequan but a dr I worked with a long time ago had firmly insisted that Adequan did nothing for the spine.

I'm at a loss about what to do. I've been reading up on Adequan and can't find much about how it affects the spine, if at all.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
well, heres the thing -

it cant HURT, can it?

id give it a shot - i know a LOT of dogs that have been helped, so i think its worth a shot, even if there is no supporting literature for it.

the worst that happens is that it DOESNT help, right? adequan is otherwise pretty inert with no side effects that i can think of right now.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you're right, it can't hurt to try but.... And this is going to sound awful I know but I hate the idea of tossing money down the drain. Now I don't consider money spent helping my babies as wasted money but if I were going into this with doubts about it's possible effects, then I don't feel comfortable about it. If that makes any sense.
I would rather find some information to support Adequan helping arthritis in the spine to quiet the nagging doubts in my head but that's just how I am. Always have to research everything to death.:rolleyes:

I did talk with a woman today who insisted that Adequan worked miracles for her Great Dane with the same problem and I'm waiting to hear from a couple more people who have tried it with their dogs(same issue) to see what they think. More likely than not, I'm going to try it for no other reason than there's not much else out there for cats with arthritis short of steriods(at least I don't think) and we're not to that point yet.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Aww poor Mitzi. I agree it can't hurt to try it just once.

You are just like my husband, he has to research everything to death. It drives me up a wall. If I want something his first question is always did you do any research? My answer is always no, you are the pro at research so I figured I would leave that for you to do. Lol. :) I think that response to him all the time drives him up the wall. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are just like my husband, he has to research everything to death. It drives me up a wall. If I want something his first question is always did you do any research?
lol I have an excuse, I swear! See my family is from Portugal and came to America with nothing but what was on their backs and debt. They were broke, couldn't speak english or read but they worked their way up in life with hard work, deterimation and wise choices. No one ever helped them or gave them a thing. So as a kid these issues(esp. money handling) were drilled into me. I drive Brian nuts because I'm like that but we both work hard for our money and it pains me when it's not spent wisely. :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
lol I have an excuse, I swear! See my family is from Portugal and came to America with nothing but what was on their backs and debt. They were broke, couldn't speak english or read but they worked their way up in life with hard work, deterimation and wise choices. No one ever helped them or gave them a thing. So as a kid these issues(esp. money handling) were drilled into me. I drive Brian nuts because I'm like that but we both work hard for our money and it pains me when it's not spent wisely. :)
I must be like Brian then. I just like to take the money and shop, shop, shop. :) I am not allowed to go into a place like Petco or Petsmart by myself anymore. Corey won't allow it. I spend way to much money there. If he gives me $100 to spend there, I also take my cards, debit and credit and go way over the $100 that he agreed to give me. Lol. One time he told me to take out $150 out of the bank, so I took out $150 7 times, and went shopping. I also go lunch with that money though. I got my 2 birds at the time so much stuff, a new cage, toys, food, and I also got cat toys for a cat I didn't even have at the time. Lol. He was not happy with me when I got home. Since then I am banned from those stores unless he is with me. :(

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh poor Kitty.. :sadcry: Good luck with her.. We have 2 cats.. Tinkerbell who was 17 when we had to put her down because her kidneys had felled.. and Tiffany who was 15, she had lung cancer.. we lost both cats within 2 months of each other.. :sadcry: My heart goes out to you.. I hate the thought of my animals getting older.. our 2 cats now TT and CC are both 11. I hope to have them around for another 7 year or more God willing..

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
I hear ya, not about immagrating, but about spending money wisely. My husband drives me nuts, he is very anxious to spend money as it apparently "LITERALLY" must burn a hole in his pocket. I'm the money holder in the family and I'm the one to handle the bills for that reason.

I spend money on Lexus more loosely than I will on anything else at all, but it is like a toy every time I go to the pet store and my ob classes, stuff like that. Although it does add up.

Admire my willpower, I actually decided NOT to do my rally classes this fall after all:sadcry: , with 2 bdays and xmas coming up (and another bday right after xmas) as well as natural gas going up as much as 50% this winter, I couldn't justify the money right now. As well as my husband has to get a surgery this winter, & we need to do it this winter b/c the deductable for it will go up after the 1st of Jan.

Maybe if I had been able to show Lexus this winter like I expected to (work not permitting) than I would have pushed the money issue aside and done my classes anyway.

Oh well..... money makes the world go round right *sarcastic* I'm not trying to whine guys, just venting a little.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Katie, you and Brian do sound a lot alike! He's like spend, spend, spend and I'm save, save save!! He'd think nothing of going shopping and wiping our savings clean so I have to be the little angel on his shoulder reminding him to do the right thing. :)

Admire my willpower, I actually decided NOT to do my rally classes this fall after all , with 2 bdays and xmas coming up (and another bday right after xmas) as well as natural gas going up as much as 50% this winter, I couldn't justify the money right now. As well as my husband has to get a surgery this winter, & we need to do it this winter b/c the deductable for it will go up after the 1st of Jan.
Aw, I'm sorry Jess. It's always something isn't it? I've been wanting to redo our kitchen for the longest time and every time I think I'm going to do it, 5 things come up and it gets pushed aside. Maybe one day...

BTW, I've decided to try the Adequan on Mitzi anyhow. She hasn't been feeling too well and the only thing the dr can figure is her arthritis is bothering her. Her blood and urine tests came back in the normal ranges and her physical exam was unremarkable. I'm also on the hunt for EVO cat food, since I've read that too many grains can possibly aggravate her condition so I'm hoping that maybe cutting out the carbs in her diet might help. I haven't had any luck finding it locally so I may get stuck ordering it. :(

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I've been wanting to redo our kitchen for the longest time and every time I think I'm going to do it, 5 things come up and it gets pushed aside. Maybe one day...

Hey ever hear the expression "Shoemakers kids have no shoes"?
Well I'm the Kitchen designers wife with an OLD kitchen!! I hear ya! I finally sanded down all my old cabinets and painted them white, they were a really dark black/cherry color (and our house is small, so we don't need dark colors in it!) and we finally replaced the olf linolium floor, but I've come to accept my counter top is here to stay!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey ever hear the expression "Shoemakers kids have no shoes"?
ROTF!! Have I?! I'm a floor installer's wife and the floors in this house are in rough shape! Brian has been in the process of putting in a new tile floor in our computer room for the last year or so.....

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
ROTF!! Have I?! I'm a floor installer's wife and the floors in this house are in rough shape! Brian has been in the process of putting in a new tile floor in our computer room for the last year or so.....
I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!!!!!! :tongue23:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts