Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
throwing this out there to see what everyone has or still is adding to their dogs kibble
i add sardines and tuna(packed in water) - a once a week the odd hard boiled egg

·
Registered
36 Posts
I added half hard boiled egg every other, pinch pumpkin, cottage cheese, once a week table spoon macrel, pinch of variety berries

Infrequent treat Merrick canned wing o ling's.. I'd remove all but the actual few wings, rinse..the bones disolved in fingers.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bella and Loki get 1 tbsp boiled chicken 1/2 cup chicken broth 1 teasp salmon oil. Bella also gets corn silk. Every meal.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,411 Posts
A bit of canned food and water for dinner. For breakfast, they get straight kibble.

Reactions: rlc3854

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
Good question...
My answer:

-Eggs. Mostly hardboiled
-Yogurt. Plain about a tablespoon
-Cottage cheese.
-Berries and fruit. No grapes or raisins
-Vegetables. Fresh or cooked. No onions
-Meat/poultry. raw or cooked
-Meat/bone broth
-Any table scraps that I deem appropriate.

I mix and rotate. Tonight, for example, McCoy got 1 hardboiled egg, 1/4 cup chicken broth, some baked yam and a few blueberries.
His base kibble is PPP Savor Salmon and Rice.

At breakfast he also gets fish oil 1200 mg and Vitamin E 180 mg (400 i.u.), both in soft gels.

McCoy gets add-ons at each meal. I have no idea if doing this is actually nutritionally beneficial. I am sure he would do just fine on his kibble alone. But I really like preparing his "feasts" and I guarantee he loves eating them! LOL

I will add one caveat: One must carefully take into consideration the additional calories when toppings are added to kibble.
Between meal add-ons, treats and occasional table scraps, those added calories can put on weight. It can really sneak up on you and your pup. I would say McCoy would normal get 2- 2 1/4 cups of his kibble 2X/day. With all I give him, his kibble amount has dropped to 1 3/4 cups 2x/day.

Also... What ever I add to my dogs' meals I do it gradually.

John L.
Portland OR

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good question...
My answer:

-Eggs. Mostly hardboiled
-Yogurt. Plain about a tablespoon
-Cottage cheese.
-Berries and fruit. No grapes or raisins
-Vegetables. Fresh or cooked. No onions
-Meat/poultry. raw or cooked
-Meat/bone broth
-Any table scraps that I deem appropriate.

I mix and rotate. Tonight, for example, McCoy got 1 hardboiled egg, 1/4 cup chicken broth, some baked yam and a few blueberries.
His base kibble is PPP Savor Salmon and Rice.

At breakfast he also gets fish oil 1200 mg and Vitamin E 180 mg (400 i.u.), both in soft gels.

McCoy gets add-ons at each meal. I have no idea if doing this is actually nutritionally beneficial. I am sure he would do just fine on his kibble alone. But I really like preparing his "feasts" and I guarantee he loves eating them! LOL

I will add one caveat: One must carefully take into consideration the additional calories when toppings are added to kibble.
Between meal add-ons, treats and occasional table scraps, those added calories can put on weight. It can really sneak up on you and your pup. I would say McCoy would normal get 2- 2 1/4 cups of his kibble 2X/day. With all I give him, his kibble amount has dropped to 1 3/4 cups 2x/day.

Also... What ever I add to my dogs' meals I do it gradually.

John L.
Portland OR
yes never ever grapes -i'm a wine maker and i have to be careful especially during harvest/wine making season - and all year round as my dob follows me everywhere and i spend a lot of time in my wine cellar- as there are some died up grapes skins here and there from pressing/crushing the grapes - grapes are extremely harmful/toxic to dogs - a few people in my wine group there dogs got into grapes and were very very sick -one almost passed away from eating only 3 grapes

·
Registered
4yr old female
373 Posts
Breakfast is straight kibble. Dinner she gets a tin of Sardines in Water on top of the kibble. She starts licking her lips and but wagging as soon as she sees the tin in my hand.

Reactions: 4x4bike ped

·
Registered
136 Posts
This looks like a good thread for me to thank everyone who has posted about what they use as additions to kibble for their dogs. Gibbs the German Pinscher ate dry kibble voraciously when he first came to me, but when he started teething he lost interest. Mixing the kibble with a little warm water and some canned kept him eating, but without the former enthusiasm.

Even after he finished teething, he still wasn't eating well. I hated to start mixing in this and that and make him worse. He never got really skinny but was thinner than I liked and a little worrisome.

Of course he's not a Doberman, he only looks kind of like a smaller version, but even so.... After reading so many posts here, particularly those from Dobebug, about adding cottage cheese, yoghurt, and eggs, I figured what the heck, that's even got to be less expensive than the canned. I also had several cans of sardines laying around because I lost the allergy dog I fed raw to this summer, and my remaining Rottie didn't seem to like them.

I tried it, and Gibbs is now cleaning up both meals regularly. At first I thought it was just because these things were new and different, and he'd quit soon, but it's been a couple of weeks now. He's still eating with enthusiasm, and already looks less scrawny. Oh, and my Rottie girl has changed her mind about sardines.

Thanks, everyone.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,593 Posts
Yes, grapes are one of those misleading things--SOME dogs can eat them; SOME kinds of grapes aren't poisonous SOMETIMES. So people may think it's OK for their dog to eat grapes--he's eaten them before and not had a problem.

They've been lucky. A dog can even eat them and not be bothered one time, but then have a severe reaction (kidney failure) the next time he eats a grape.

Don't take a chance!

(By the way, that also includes raisins and currants, and grape or currant juice.)

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? And Other Vitaceae Species YAY or NAY? - I Love Veterinary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts