Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
joie de vivre
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you used either for your dog(s)?

If so...

Did you try just one or the other? Did you try both together? Did you try both but separately?

Why and how often? What was the duration of each treatment?

What results did you see? Or did you not see any results?

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
I have done both together on all three of my dogs for various play and agility injuries. I have noticed a significant improvement each time- brighter eyes, more solid movement, more play behaviors exhibited towards me and the other dogs.

I LOVE my Chiros. I completely recomend giving it a try if you are curious or your girls are having even minor problems. I learn something new each time, including things about how structure affects movement and what easy at home care I can do between visits.

Edit: When we go for a specific injury, my chiro normally wants to see them a week after the initial visit, then two weeks after that, then three weeks, etc. If there are any issues between visits, I can of course call and schedule a recheck.

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've done both. The vet decides whether she does needles after the adjustment. Fei is only 2 and has been adjusted twice. this has just been maintenance since she does agility and schutzhund. she didn't get needles.

Pullo and , before him, River, had both when they had injuries. Pullo also had accupuncture for his IBD. did that help? I don't know; it didn't hurt.

It is widely used in the agility world.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
No acupunture but love the chiro,we use activator style, mabel isnt out to much so she goes every 2-3 months or when she seems stiff, hannah goes monthly from mabels playtime beatdowns.
We do it a lot at work and its pretty noticeable how good some dogs feel right after if they were really out beforehand. Several of the bostons (must be a boston thing) fart during the massage part....guess it feels good?
Mabel falls asleep and others just kinda zone out.
Like eventermal said it starts out close together for dogs that are injured or really "out" then moves to around a months time apart or further depending on the dog.

Basically I'm in love with it :) kept my last girl spry and feeling less stiff in movement those last 2 years of her life especially when dealing with a young dober doofus.... (she passed at 12)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Several years ago, our holistic medicine Vet found a "hot spot" on Amy's neck
She recommended a local Vet trained in Acupuncture & Chiropractor.

I think he does the adjustment first and then the needles go in for another 10 minutes.
For a specific ailment, usually go 2-3 times...a few weeks apart.

Amy was there just last week, for what I call her "spa treatment" of stretching and tiny pokes...He-He...Amy likes going to our Vet.
I totally believe in the improvements of Acupuncture & Chiropractor.
Amy's earlier hot spot did go away completely and her mobility from a stiff neck and tight rear legs, was greatly improved...just $$.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I use a chiro/ cold laser therapy vet for a routine 6 week appt for any adjustments needed for Cheers and Wally. Their active lifestyle means I try to stay on top of anything before it becomes a big problem.

My horses used a acupuncture/chiro vet when competing heavily. It really helped them, especially our old 19 yr old event horse.

We find that they may be a little sore for 12 hrs, then feel great. Usually need a weekly appt for an acute problem, then go back to longer intervals after they are 100% again.

My word of caution: I'd only use a vet for chiropractics, not a lay person. I know chiro people who have messed up horses belonging to folks I know.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I used acupuncture on a older dog that was having issues with her hind end. I did massage on her as well every other week. She did much better. She would jump off the steps while running out the back door and stumble, that stopped.

Since I have started taking agility class with Kylee I have done massage every other week. My training center put on a wellness seminar that covered massage, acupuncture and chiropractic care. I had the chiro look at Kylee and he immediately said "being a dobe she is going to have neck issues for sure". Much to his surprise she was not out of alignment, good thing because she hated having it done. I attribute it to her massages.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I'm actually hoping to try acupuncture with Simon soon. One of the vets at our clinic is completing a residency in alternative medicine and will be selecting a few patients to do an acupuncture study on (for free!). Acupuncture might help with Simon's lick granuloma, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get into that group.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes for chiropractor. When Pula injured herself last year, I consulted chiropractor and acupuncture and chose chiropractor care. Pula had multiple treatments for her neck and back tweak (from hurting herself at home with the new dog), but she was significantly improved after her first adjustment and laser treatment. She was very good and relaxed for the laser treatment.

In fact, I am taking her back in in a few weeks just for a quick adjustment (if needed) and checkup, since we are doing agility again.

I have not done acupuncture but have a friend who did this with her lab for her arthritis and had very good success with her older dog.

Lisa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts