Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my husband and Eli were swimming. I was in the house and came outside after a while to do hose off patio. I looked at the pool and husband had blood pouring out of his eye. I screamed, "oh my god, you're hurt, your eye, oh my god, get out what happened?". He said, "yeah, Eli got me, he jumped right on me when I grabbed his jolly ball. Usually he waits for me to throw it but he jumped right on me, big jump, in the middle of the pool." I made husband get out so I could look more carefully at it. Oh my goodness. Eli sliced his upper eyelid straight across and over to the center of the ends of the eye brows, top of the nose. Blood was pouring from a particularly deep spot on the eye lid and leaking on other sites along the gash. It was already swelling shut and bruising! We got the blood stopped and husband declined to go get a couple of stiches. He is old school, let it bleed clean and it will be alright, "whatever" lol. If the bleeding hadn't stopped I would have insisted we go to ER. He is sitting on the paito with the ice pack I made for him. It looks horrible but his vision, other than the swelling is fine.

ELI!!! He is so intense with that *amn ball. I make him wait etc. but Phil just doesn't get how to deal safely with Eli sometimes. He doesn't think to give him a wait command, Eli responds to that. Oh well...nothing I can do but darn it "ELI!!" He took a flying leap right on to husband. Phil was nice about it saying it really didn't hurt at all just looked horrible and Eli was just playing...I love my husband, I'd have been *issed off if he hammered me like that even though I shouldn't have. I guess my doberman is a " dangerous dog" after all, I'll have to get a sign now. LOL

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Give ELI a bbq steak, and cook a burnt hot dog for hubby...LOL.
- next time Eli's Dad, will be in more control...we all got to learn sometime
Still a funny, at bo-zo's expense....Eli just really loves the guy, and got real close !!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,257 Posts
Just wait 'til he gets to explain to friends and folks at work just how he got this injury--"The dog did it" doesn't work as an excuse.

I say this from experience--when my dog gave me a black eye, I had to spend the next few days fending off delicate, oh-so-tactful questions about domestic abuse from my co-workers.

Hope DH's healing is fast and trouble-free.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eli does not get a steak! He jumped right on his dad. Right on top of him. Bad dog! LOL. Don't know that even this will teach Phil, I'm afraid he may be more hesitant when he plays with him. :( Maybe not he is a tough and stubborn as Eli. ;)

Give ELI a bbq steak, and cook a burnt hot dog for hubby...LOL.
- next time Eli's Dad, will be in more control...we all got to learn sometime
Still a funny, at bo-zo's expense....Eli just really loves the guy, and got real close !!

I know! AND he already had a black eye from a lab we watched a couple of years ago. The dog pulled Phil right into the edge of a door jam, huge shiner from that one. The office will never believe "the dog did it". LOL lOL.
Just wait 'til he gets to explain to friends and folks at work just how he got this injury--"The dog did it" doesn't work as an excuse.

I say this from experience--when my dog gave me a black eye, I had to spend the next few days fending off delicate, oh-so-tactful questions about domestic abuse from my co-workers.

Hope DH's healing is fast and trouble-free.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
When Odin hurts me I stop play and say "ouch" and he feels so bad that he stops play and begins to lick me excessively in apology and just that alone gets me happy and its easily forgivable LOL. Hope for fast healing to your husband, Odin left me with some pretty gnarly wounds and I never made it a huge deal because I can tell in his behavior and expression that he was sorry.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
No reason for your dog to be jumping up on you or hurting your husband. Obedience classes or a trainer can help you teach her to stay down. Until she learns that, I would play something else. Bad habits are hard to break and much harder than training right the first time. Be careful. Glad he is ok though. Doesn't sound fun and could of been worse.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
OUCH!

Glad he didn't lose an eye. Geez. If he's not going to make Eli tone it down then give him a helmet next Christmas! :)

Reactions: dobienut

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
NO!!! The steak, raw and cold, is supposed to go over DH's eye - remember the old movies?! Well, he was really lucky that it was the lid only - whew! And that area is so vascular that even a tiny scratch would bleed a lot... Eli thought he was playing "Cannonball!!" ... PLOP!! Get DH a patch, and he can play pirate for a few days ... he needs to perfect his "AAAaarrrrrrhh!" and "Matey". Wish him our best.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Poor DH! My husband never seems to get the Dober-injuries. I've had plenty, though! Sometimes they happen even with the most well behaved dogs.

How's he doing today?

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eli, my boy, is trained, very well trained in fact. If you read my story my husband did not give any sort of command, which he should have. Appreciate your thoughts and since you don't know me you would have no way of knowing how much training we have done. Eli's flying off the edge of the pool into the middle is new also. I think in the future husband will take the ball and give the wait command, as I would have done.

No reason for your dog to be jumping up on you or hurting your husband. Obedience classes or a trainer can help you teach her to stay down. Until she learns that, I would play something else. Bad habits are hard to break and much harder than training right the first time. Be careful. Glad he is ok though. Doesn't sound fun and could of been worse.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Eli wasn't being very well behaved. LOL. Seriously he should have jumped next to Phil, not on top of him. It really could have been worse so I'm glad it wasn't. Phil is fine, there is a long deep scratch but it isn't as black and blue as I thought it would be
Poor DH! My husband never seems to get the Dober-injuries. I've had plenty, though! Sometimes they happen even with the most well behaved dogs.

How's he doing today?

I thought of a steak but we only have flank steak in a large package. LOL Yes he was lucky. You know we have the parrots to add to the priate look. LOL
NO!!! The steak, raw and cold, is supposed to go over DH's eye - remember the old movies?! Well, he was really lucky that it was the lid only - whew! And that area is so vascular that even a tiny scratch would bleed a lot... Eli thought he was playing "Cannonball!!" ... PLOP!! Get DH a patch, and he can play pirate for a few days ... he needs to perfect his "AAAaarrrrrrhh!" and "Matey". Wish him our best.
OMgosh!! I am careful when I play with Eli, he is a very powerful dog and intense. Your poor friend! Phil's eye looked much better this morning. thanks.
Poor DH! These guys just don't understand that they are not little lap dogs. My good friends female Dobe upended her in the yard two weeks ago and broke her arm in 2 places. Speedy recovery to DH.
Don't you think it would just a bit heavy for the pool? You need to make a floating sort of armor. ;)
one day my custom dober-armor gear will sell... check out my page on ebay.
Yes he never thinks to give Eli commands. Remember Eli will not drop the ball for him reliably in the park, only for me. It is a training issue. I've tried to tell him but ... he is just not a natural dog trainer. He could have been really hurt.
OUCH!

Glad he didn't lose an eye. Geez. If he's not going to make Eli tone it down then give him a helmet next Christmas! :)
I'll take pictures of Eli soon. It's been awhile.
Ooooooouch!! Super close call. Glad your hubby is OK.

So at the very least, he should agree to pose for a picture.

I'll settle for one of the assailant if the victim is unwilling.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,257 Posts
Your choice of turquoise for your font color is impossible to read on my computer--and I want to see every word ;)

Glad to hear hubby is healing--face and scalp wounds bleed so much they sure are scary!

Eli sounds a bit like Capri--she gets so wrapped up in her play she becomes mindlessly impulsive--but is truly contrite when she hurts someone as a result.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry... too late to edit. Nothing earth shattering I can tell you that. LOL.

Your choice of turquoise for your font color is impossible to read on my computer--and I want to see every word ;)

Glad to hear hubby is healing--face and scalp wounds bleed so much they sure are scary!

Eli sounds a bit like Capri--she gets so wrapped up in her play she becomes mindlessly impulsive--but is truly contrite when she hurts someone as a result.

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts

Use the highlight function. It will show up that way.

Reactions: melbrod
1 - 18 of 18 Posts