Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my Achilles finally got his ears cropped yesterday. But the vet had just done wraps around the ears so going off what i read all of you say i cut the tape/wraps off right now when i got home i am happy with the cut n know or should say hope when his head grows they will look even better. Since its been 16yrs since ive done this with my old doberman.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
You made the right choice.
Smart human ChampaNova
Bandaging will hold moisture in....then guess what moisture breeds-TROUBLE.
Stinky yellow green trouble.
We want dry ears exposed to the air keeps them dry.
Then we get blessed with scabs.......
Then slabs falling off all by themselves with no assistance from humans that tend to want to pick and clean everything.
So pleased with you and yours today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take him out and get him good and tired before you start and have everything ready to go before you grab him. Once you start an ear, you have to finish it, but it's OK to take a breather between ears.

Good luck!
Wow you know i didnt even think about tiring him out. I gave him a treat but once i got it completed it took him about 3min before he yanked it all off again. I will try that the next time. Thank you for the advice

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couldnt get him worn out but gave him a treat. Lol. His ears have been standing on there own actually 1 has been since the day of his crop im guessing because of the shortness of his crop. And 3 days ago he started standing the other 1 up all the time also. But sometimes they seem like they are leaning inward and so i dont want them to get bigger n flop over in the middle of his head so im posting to keep from that heres a pic of what he looks like with no posting done at all. And my post from today I had a bridge on it but was messing everything all up and kept making 1 lean in so i cut it off for now.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,768 Posts
That's pretty common with your first few posting attempts. Have you looked at our tutorial on posting ears? The last post has a few tips about how to keep the posts from popping out of the ears at the bottom--that's usually where things go wrong. The method is the same no matter how long the ears are, but you may not need the zip ties when the crop is short. Backer rod wrapped with duct tape as the thread explains may make the post stiff enough on its own.

(6) How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

Make sure you have the post really down in the ear canal, stretch the ear tip up on the post and tape it at the bottom first. Start as low on the post as you can, angle it up toward where the ear and the top of his head meet, then around the back of the ear and back to the post, again angling the tape down to stick it on the post as low as you can get it. Don't let go during that process or everything will go slack. When a post is loose in the ear, it tends to bother the puppy more and they are more likely to shake their head around and try to get it off.

I really doubt you will need a bridge; it is almost a personal choice--some folks use them, some don't--but if you do decided to use one, put it as close to the top of the head as you can get it, so that there is almost no space between the bridge and the top of his head. Make sure the bridge is loose enough that his ears aren't being pulled together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's pretty common with your first few posting attempts. Have you looked at our tutorial on posting ears? The last post has a few tips about how to keep the posts from popping out of the ears at the bottom--that's usually where things go wrong. The method is the same no matter how long the ears are, but you may not need the zip ties when the crop is short. Backer rod wrapped with duct tape as the thread explains may make the post stiff enough on its own.

(6) How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

Make sure you have the post really down in the ear canal, stretch the ear tip up on the post and tape it at the bottom first. Start as low on the post as you can, angle it up toward where the ear and the top of his head meet, then around the back of the ear and back to the post, again angling the tape down to stick it on the post as low as you can get it. Don't let go during that process or everything will go slack. When a post is loose in the ear, it tends to bother the puppy more and they are more likely to shake their head around and try to get it off.

I really doubt you will need a bridge; it is almost a personal choice--some folks use them, some don't--but if you do decided to use one, put it as close to the top of the head as you can get it, so that there is almost no space between the bridge and the top of his head. Make sure the bridge is loose enough that his ears aren't being pulled together.
You are awesome i really appreciate your help taking the time to help us all out.

·
Super Moderator
22,190 Posts
What kind of tape is that in your last post on the outside of the ear? It's hard to see in the photos....

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of tape is that in your last post on the outside of the ear? It's hard to see in the photos....
I have paper tape on the ear itself and had to use a thin duct tape layer around that because he was destroying his post after a couple minutes everytime

·
Super Moderator
26,768 Posts
It looks kinda like duct tape? You wrap duct tape around the post itself before you put it in the dog's ear to help straighten and stiffen the post. You need to use Zonas tape or coaches tape (athletic tape--I've always used Johnson and Johnson's) to wrap around the ear. I have occasionally had a problem with the athletic tape not sticking to itself as well as I would like, so I have occasionally used a tiny piece of duct tape just to stick the loose tape end to the tape underneath it--but NEVER on the ear itself.

·
Super Moderator
26,768 Posts
Looks like I was typing at the same time you were--you answered some of my questions in your last post.

I think you'll have better luck with Coaches tape than paper tape; it's more flexible and a little more sticky I think. Like I said above, I have occasionally used a tiny piece of duct tape to stick a loose end of the tape down to the underlying tape, but I wouldn't use a layer covering the entire ear, Duct tape is not breathable, and I think you might get problems from moisture accumulating under the tape and setting your pup up for an infection.

There are a few things I check if I had a puppy who really messed with his ears a lot--most commonly, I think, it is because the post is not seated down in the ear well enough and the whole thing is loose and bothering him.

I would make sure the tape is not too tight. You want to wrap the tape loosely around the ear and then squeeze it together with your hand so that it sticks to the ear and to itself.

I would also look closely at the inside of the ears for signs of irritation or infection...if you see any inflammation, redness, swelling, oozy areas or if there is a bad smell, you may have something like that bothering the puppy, especially when he is posted.

·
Super Moderator
22,190 Posts
yep, what Mel said. No duct tape - you can really, really hurt the ears that way.

Reactions: melbrod and Cressrb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like I was typing at the same time you were--you answered some of my questions in your last post.

I think you'll have better luck with Coaches tape than paper tape; it's more flexible and a little more sticky I think. Like I said above, I have occasionally used a tiny piece of duct tape to stick a loose end of the tape down to the underlying tape, but I wouldn't use a layer covering the entire ear, Duct tape is not breathable, and I think you might get problems from moisture accumulating under the tape and setting your pup up for an infection.

There are a few things I check if I had a puppy who really messed with his ears a lot--most commonly, I think, it is because the post is not seated down in the ear well enough and the whole thing is loose and bothering him.

I would make sure the tape is not too tight. You want to wrap the tape loosely around the ear and then squeeze it together with your hand so that it sticks to the ear and to itself.

I would also look closely at the inside of the ears for signs of irritation or infection...if you see any inflammation, redness, swelling, oozy areas or if there is a bad smell, you may have something like that bothering the puppy, especially when he is posted.
Ok ya i did wrap the posts like you mentioned with duct tape and it did help. But ya he was just constantly rolling and messing with them you know i will take them down in a little bit n just use the duct tape like you mentioned at the ends to keep the paper tape from peeling off. But ya if that doesnt work ill buy some athletic tape and use that instead of the duct tape

·
Super Moderator
22,190 Posts
I would not use the duct tape at all - from the photo you posted I think you are putting the ears at risk of damage. I would use the athletic tape. It would be terrible if your pup's ears got infected, or even worse. It's not worth the risk.

·
Super Moderator
26,768 Posts
Just to be clear, the bits of duct tape I used occasionally were only from a loose tape end to the tape underneath it; it NEVER touched or was stuck to the ear, and it never was actually wrapped around an ear. When I was posting Capri, I think I must have had some older tape without as much stick as usual and after a day or two of hard wear, it tended to come unstuck from itself. You can see a couple of little pieces in this pic (if Photobucket lets me keep it up.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts