Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice....

What time should I give diesel his last feed, and should I remove water at a specific time in the evening.

He seems to manage to go from midnight to about 04.30-hrs, then he howls to get out for a pee pee. I would like for him to get through to about 07.00-hrs.

Any advice would be great...

Thanks Neil
:help_up_2

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
How old is Diesel again?

I would feed Lexus at about 6-7pm when she was like 5 months old then with the occasional treat after, not again till about 6am (was up to get the kids moving for school by then). I generally never pulled her water,but just made sure she didn't really go at it before bedtime, she cried to go outside when she had to go in the night. I think she watched the clock as she woke me up at a consistant 5-5:15 am every morning.

For her it, as her willpower got better to "hold it" she just stopped waking me up. She still wake up and rustle about in her crate a little, but as long as she didn't whine, I told her to shush.

It's the same even now, she will wake up, and by process of so, wake me up with the intensity of her STARE. But as long as she doesn't whine, I tell her to plotz, and she lays quietly. (Untill the STARE gets the best of me....)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diesel is now 6-months old, and about to start 1-2-1 training with myself and an instructor...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Loki was the same way. When we first started crate training, I had to get up with him a couple of times a night. As he got older, it got less and less frequent. Now, he can hold it overnight and even longer. But there were several times I had to rouse myself up at 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. before he was able to build up to that level.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
At that age, they still have small bladders. I believe I was told by some one that the age in months plus 1 = the amount of time they can hold it. So 7 hours is along time for them to not go. At that age, i fed her around 6pm and no water after 9;30 pm. She would go out one last time at 11 pm. She would go thru the night, most of the time, until 7am the next morning.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Harveys a year old and he can last from 10pm his average bedtime till 6am when we get up .. he will sometimes whine at about 5 am if he didnt do a big wee before he went to bed..but thats pretty rare

He gets his last meal at 6:30 pm and a good drink.. i will leave his water down till about 8pm and then put it away ..i let him out for a wee about 3 times between then and bed usually evry 40 minutes..but he usually tells me when he wants to go out by giving me a hard stare with a sort of 'desperate' look on his face and will follow my gaze everywhere :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I keep water out all night for trinity but trinity had the same problem and i used potty pads to train her. I give trinity her last thing of food around 10pm. What i did with the potty pad is I would slowly but surely move it closer and closer to the back door and once she was use to using the restroom on the potty pad I put it outside. For about a week she would still sometimes use the restroom in the house but once she realized the potty pad was outside and that I always got up at the same time every morning she waited for me to get up to let her out.

Another option is crate training.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Diesel, made it from midnight to 03.15 a.m. without needing to go out (which is a quick walk to do his business). Then back in the cage to sleep with Bruno. Was awakened at about 3.45 am, by whimpering and gave in and went down to see them.

Accident central, diarrhoea, diesel was covered in it, but amazingly Bruno was clean... so diesel and my self into the shower for his first wash and a clean up of the cage and new bedding. Not a fun night really.

First walk of the day both dogs have diarrhoea. Only thing I can think of was a sandwich Diesel found on the street, manage to get most of it out of his mouth, at which point Bruno ate it. So both on rice with a small amount of canned food in it.

The joys of owning dogs and living in the city.... :sadcry:

Hoping for a better nights sleep this evening...

NDJ

·
Registered
281 Posts
OMG i feel your pain lol .. i come down to one heck of a puddle of poop one morning and we obviously didnt hear any whining else i would of got up..so i slapped on the marigolds and got down to buiseness..thankfully the crime scene was on wood floor not carpet but the puddle slid all over the place~ I must have gone through 3 rolls of kitchen paper lol :D..not the kinda thing you wanna be doing first thing before breakfast let alone blurry eyed at 3:45am.

I can tell ya it dont get any better in the countryside :) Hope they feel better soon and no-more early moring wake ups :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts