Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I am new here and my boyfriend and I accidentally rescued a doberman puppy at 8 weeks old. We were on craigslist after planning to get a puppy and he found some healthy looking puppies. They said they were Blue Heelers and he got super excited. I honestly had no idea what breed that was. Am I good with breeds? No, bad at them very bad. We went to get the puppy and when we went there, we were not asked ANYTHING AT ALL which confused us, I would have done a full background check to be honest. I just picked a puppy and left. We noticed the small small small small area they were in, the concrete ground, and the large bags of dollar dog food lining it. When we got home, in good lighting, we saw the poor baby was bone thin! No fat, no muscle, nothing! It was so bad we could see his intestines moving. We saw he had mud caked on him. We also saw that the puppy they said was a she was a he.. This ticked me off so much with the neglect, he looked like he hadn't developed since he was off his mom! We tried to contact the humane society, to no luck. So we contacted police to save them. So, long story short. The pup we got is a doberman, and I did some research on it and he looks like he may be mixed with a German Shepard (judging by his ears). We take him out on walks every 3 1/2 hours, don't leave him home alone for more than an hour and a half a week, unless you count sleeping, and we did research on dobermans and how to raise them.. Which led me here. We did try crate training but the poor baby was scared and too scared to continue with crating. We love him to death and we named him Taz, he is 8 weeks old and a little angel.. And devil.. This puppy is super smart and will destroy everything.. He has a thing going with one of my guinea pigs which is funny and weird. (he gives the piggy paper to eat and the piggy pushes out bedding) We don't let him eat it despite his effort. We love this puppy more than anything and my research led me here. So for any advice, I would be more than happy to hear it. He was skinny but we have been soaking his puppy food and he gained weight, muscles, and is growing now super fast.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,136 Posts
You said he was very thin...have you been to vet with him yet? He may (probably) have worms which will need treatment. He may also need some special food to help him get back to a normal weight again or vet advice how to feed him, since he is in such bad shape. Pictures might help us give you an idea of what you are working with.

Hope you (people and pup) thrive--sounds like he needs some extra attention, poor baby. Also hope something can be done about the “breeder”.

And, as I should have said earlier--Welcome to DT!

·
Super Moderator
25,136 Posts
What size (weight and height) is he now? He doesn’t look dobermanly to me--maybe a mixed cattle dog with something else? His ears certainly look cattle doggy (or something else, not dobe) to me.

I’m not really familiar with exactly what makes each breed--the names seem to be almost interchangeable--but apparently a Kelpie (also called Australian Cattle Dog) can be black and tan, and a blue heeler can also be called an Australian Cattle Dog.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
What a cute little guy! Not sure he has any Doberman in him really. Lots of different breeds are black and rust. Did you happen to see the dam and sire?
Regardless, it doesn't diminish what a sweetie he is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We don't have his exact weight or size, but he is already almost the size of most small dogs and we had my friend who is rather smart about breeds and she said he is a dobe. I think he is mixed with Sheppard but he is still gaining. He doesn't act at all like the cattle dogs that we were researching and has the exact traits of a doberman pup which is why we felt he is probably a dobe. Regardless we will see how he turns into an adult where it will be more obvious what breed he is.. Hopefully

·
Registered
110 Posts
Blue heeler and Australian Cattle dog are the same thing, Kelpie is something else entirely. I'm not terribly sure there is any Dobe in him, but whatever he is, I'm gald he's with you guys and getting good care and love! Basic raising of a puppy applies across breeds in some ways, lots of love, exercise within reason, rules, and limits. Teach him using food rewards at this age, puppies will do almost ANYTHING for a treat! Find yourself a good pet trainer, and take him to obedience when he gets of an age, and most important of all, ENJOY that beautiful baby!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Aha. Perrfect. Yes, it will be interesting to watch your boy as he grows.
Be sure and share pictures with us.

·
Super Moderator
25,136 Posts
But cute! Quite a bit of what we talk about applies to all dogs, and some of us don’t even have dogs (yet). So we’d love to have you stick around. With more pictures, of course. :)

·
Super Moderator
25,136 Posts
Blue heeler and Australian Cattle dog are the same thing, Kelpie is something else entirely....
I know they are different breeds and look different, but I have seen the name "Australian Cattle Dog" used for both. Supposedly the Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) has some Kelpie somewhere in his breeding.

·
Big Lil pup
6,164 Posts
I'm with MaryAndDobes, and others, who agree that your handsome little Taz is not a Doberman. Regardless, I am also with Melbrod. Hang around! There is so much knowledge here that you can benefit from.

Personally, I would love to see how your pup grows up, And, what he actually turns out to look like. (And be like).

Best to you and your very lucky pup (for you finding him).

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know they are different breeds and look different, but I have seen the name "Australian Cattle Dog" used for both. Supposedly the Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) has some Kelpie somewhere in his breeding.
Very likely Mel, seeing as how they're both stock dogs from Oz! And it made me curious so of course I had to go do some reading<G> Very interesting history to be found out there on the development of both breeds.

·
Got mutt?
13,654 Posts
Reactions: melbrod

·
Got mutt?
13,654 Posts
Generally speaking, the following is true: Blue Heeler = Australian Cattle Dog or possibly a Stumpy-tailed Cattle Dog. Red or Queensland Heeler = Australian Cattle Dog

He's a cutie, but he's not a Dobe. He does look like he could be an Australian Cattle Dog mix, for sure, though.

When you use Photobucket, copy and past the IMG code, and your pictures will show up as pictures, and not links.

Reactions: melbrod and Darkevs
1 - 20 of 32 Posts