Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The DoberMomma and her 7 pups arrived from Abilene around 11:45 this morning. Mom is settling in. She was a bit wary of me at first, which is understandable, as she has no idea who I am. She is very thin and doesn't have much milk. I will be offering her condensed chicken noodle soup and canned dog food mixed with turkey broth every 2 hours or so. I will transition her to Eukanuba puppy kibble as quickly as I can.

The question everyone is asking is, "Are the pups purebred?" For now, Margo (of S.A. Dobe rescue and a former breeder), Joe (a local Dobe breeder/exhibitor), and I think they're most likely Dobe x Rott crosses. Time will tell, though. Margo thinks this litter is DoberMomma's first.

Although all the pups are black and rust, one of the pups has a distinct "reddish" cast to its fur. At least one of the pups has a bit of white on the tips of some of its rear toes. At least two of the pups have white/pink claws on their hindfeet. Two of them have short white stripes on their chests. Two pups are very dark, with small rust points. (This adds up to more than seven because they're observations I've made over several viewings of the litter. I can't tell yet whose chest goes with which toes.)

I have handled the pups only a little and will not handle them much for a day or so, so Mom can get used to me. When I approach the nest, she stands up to watch me, which means the pups can't nurse. I was told the litter's sex ratio, but don't remember what it is.

This girl is much younger than the ~4 years Abilene A.S. listed as her age. Based on the condition of her teeth, I think she's between one and two years old. However, she has a glossy coat and no callouses on her elbows/hocks, so she has been taken care of. Why on earth didn't her owner(s) claim her?

Mom is getting antibiotics for a UTI. Jennifer, who pulled the family, told me Mom will take the pill if it's wrapped in cheese, but she's not delicate about it and to watch my fingers!

The family has a vet appointment on Monday, at which time Mom will be named. SADAR typically names their Dobes after Texas towns, and I suggested "Luling" because it's a fun word to say. Either that or "Old Dime Box" (just kidding!) How about "Venus" (zip code: 76084)? I haven't met many dogs named that.

On a potty break, Mom met one of the feral cats I'm feeding (and attempting to re-domesticate). She really wanted to go after him! Silly "LyleLack" thought I'd brought him a new playmate. Well, if he can wait until the pups are 4 weeks old, he will get all the attention he seeks.

Here is a link to some pix I took when they arrived, then about an hour later, when Mom had settled enough to nurse the pups: S.A.D.A.R. black female & pups. Also, a couple of long shots so you can see the room set-up. I still have to insulate the window, as it is only single-pane glass and the cold comes right though it. I originally wanted to keep the family in the kitchen but that didn't work out. I worried about having to keep them in the utility room, but I think Mom will be less stressed there as she won't have total strangers hovering around her pups.

Once Mom is comfortable with me around the pups, I will begin the Early Neurological Stimulation program. One is supposed to start it when the pups are three days old, but better late than never.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who contributed to getting this DoberFamily out of danger!:wavey:

On a sad note, as Jennifer was leaving Abilene A.S. with the family, someone else was arriving to surrender their black female Dobe claiming she had attacked another dog in the family. :(

---------------------------------------
Previous thread: http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberma...-abilene-tx-black-dam-w-pups.html#post1006546

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
the pups look all dobie to me.

I have found that some of my #3 black dobes have had a reddish tint to their black coats when puppies. White on chest and toes is seen in some lines too.

Bless you for taking on yet another litter!

you go girl!

Hugz to the Dobie family!

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
{snip}some of my #3 black dobes have had a reddish tint to their black coats when puppies.{snip}
When I first researched the breed--with an eye to getting a pup from an ethical breeder--I was told by someone in the fancy that a reddish tint in a black-coated Dobe indicated it had a red parent. Sometime in the past two years, I read a scholarly article about the genetics of coat color inheritance which said that was not true.:noidea:

Kenya was black and mahogany, and when she stood in slanting afternoon sunlight she had a definite reddish tint to her black coat, especially over her loins. Her sire was black, but had produced reds. I don't know her dam's color--never met her or her owner, and I cheaped out when ordering Kenya's AKC pedigree (got a 3-gen "without the colors"). I contacted K's dam's breeders, but they never got back to me with answers to my questions. Phooey on them...

·
30,675 Posts
You know, I would really have to rattle my brain to remember which specific breedings had pups with red tinted coats.

Thinking it was black to black.

Most of my blacks were #3s.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thank you so much for saving her. I too think the pups look like Dobes. How old are they again?

Reactions: KenyaARaineCD

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Question: Are neonate Dobe pups ever "fuzzy" coated? All but one of my foster pups are; I call her "Slick".

Mom has a name, now: Molly. I was holding out for "Luling", but was overruled.

Molly has put on some weight. Paperwork from her first vet visit said she weighed 52 lbs, and yesterday's weigh-in said 60.4 lbs. She is anemic, but HW-negative. Hooray!

There are four female pups and three males. Pups' weights ranged from just under a pound to a little over a pound. Two of them definitely feel a little "light". Also, vet docked the pups' tails and removed their dewclaws.

Except for "Slick", one male who has a skinned nose, and a female with a small cut on her right ear, I can't tell the others apart. I tried tying a ribbon around one pup's neck, but when I checked on the litter a little later, the ribbon was lying on the floor of the nest box. Mom's still not happy with me handling them, so I haven't been able to examine them closely for distinguishing marks.

P.S.: @KCFilley D.o.b.: November 24.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Darkevs: not curly. The coat feels like a Husky's, but the hairs point towards the pup's rear. They do not stand off the coat. (I.e., horse coat, not brush coat).

·
30,675 Posts
hmmmmmm, not quite sure what you are seeing............some dobes have a longer, thicker coat, some have a longer thin coat and some have a hard, short, dense coat which is oh so correct. :)

maybe there is rottie in 'em? :)

time will tell, and soon. :)

Hugz.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
{snip}maybe there is rottie in 'em? :)...
This is what I suspect. However...
...time will tell, and soon. :)
Hugz.
This is what I keep reminding myself. ;)

I told SADAR's Margo that if there is one PB girl and she's a good match for me, I might adopt her. It seems as thought "the fates" are conspiring to keep me from having a C&D pup from an ethical breeder. Every time I start "shopping" for one, life throws me a Dobe in dire straits. LOL!

Who knows...maybe in about 8 weeks' time, I'll be posting in the Puppy forum, "OMG!!! Her ears won't stand!!! What do I do?!? Need help posting!!! Where do I get mole skin?!? How do I use Breathe-Right strips?!? What the h311 are 'pockets' and how do I avoid them?!?" :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts