Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to petco and gus lifted his leg on a wall of toys! aaahhh im so embarrassed. they were cool, but he has never marked anything in the house, just outside. how do i fix this??

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hehe, Rupert always tries to do this in the pet store! :) I think you'll probably find that other dogs have done it in the same place and its the smell maks him want to do it. Or its just something to pee up so he takes his chance! As soon as I notice Rupert looking to pee up something, I verbnally say 'Ah-ah, NO' and pull him away from the areas before he gets a chance to lift his leg. Stops him that time, but he will normally try again the next time :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Phoenix did that at petsmart and even people but has not done it again since I got him fixed. Not sure if fixing him did the trick but he was doing it daily up until the day he got fixed

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whew, okay so it's not just gus. He's fixed but he just randomly did it! I think it's because some other dog went first, at the park and stuff he always waits for a dog to pee and then pees over it. but never does it first anywhere. aaah it was so embarrassing and gus aims high! haha he's so tall. gah so mad.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
That was a hard one for my last male Dobe and he did not mark in the house and was relatively good. I'd venture to guess another dog peed there which still doesn't make it ok, but does make it more tempting.

My current mal Vizsla peed on a HUMAN the other day and I almost had a heart attack. :confused: he's NOT a marker nor is he allowed to randomly mark so it caught me and her by surprise. I was MORTIFIED. We had a "come to Jesus" meeting at his level of appropriateness. I really don't tolarate marking but on people, hell no!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, lets face it, you took him to a giant pee party. Can you imagine how many have done the same thing. Maybe I'll wear gloves to shop there.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Jones has done it once in a store, I wasn't really watching him I was looking at some different treats and reading the label when I heard droplets hit the floor (it was only a dribble, because I make him potty before we go in) but still....

My current mal Vizsla peed on a HUMAN the other day and I almost had a heart attack.
SNIP
We had a "come to Jesus" meeting at his level of appropriateness. I really don't tolarate marking but on people, hell no!
This is funny, but not funny, before Jonesy was neutered (before he was a "true marker") He would try to mark ANY man in the dog park... I never understood why. I too gave him the "come to Jesus meeting" but it didn't stop (he attempted it a few times after that) and finally I got tired of it, and neutered him. It stopped after that.... (Not what I am suggesting BTW, just made me remember how Jones used to do the same thing)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Koa did this in PetSmart once last summer... on the Milkbones. Super embarassing.

HOWEVER, two weekends ago he had a playdate with a friend of mine and her 8 lb cute little 8-month-old mutt - they were getting along fantasically, running and tearing through the yard. Well, little dog took a breather/break and my Mr. Manners lifted his leg and peed ON HER. Needless to say we also had a come to Jesus about how inappropriate that is (he's never done that!!) and little girl got a bath :| THAT was mortifying... "Oh, sorry, my kid peed on your kid." Oh, Koa.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha gus has totally not waited for a dog to finish peeing and went over to where they were peeing and proceeded to pee on the spot, and the dog. Oh man, it's awful. hahahaha

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its all relative! The smells in the stores are rnough to drive a saint to lift his leg....however......just because your dog is housetrained at home don't always expect him to be everywhere unless you take him places a lot and train him for this. Nothing drives me more batty then when people come into the store (a Petco lol) & get.crappy with their dogs for lifting their legs. We say it's ok, many smells etc. then the person informs us that the dog seldom goes places....well this is why he's not 'housebroken' I. The store then. Don't sweat it. Yours isn't the firstt and for sure won't be the last. Next time just try abd catxh him as that leg starts to raise and remind him of his manners :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh yeah Ive been here before lol

Zeus doesnt mark in the store much....but he WILL pee on any trash can, tree, planter box thats outside of the store...as this is the glory hole of marking. lol

Mazel on the other hand...you would walk into the store...then realize you are dragging him because he is pooping, and walking...lol that is very disturbing :D

Xena...well i havent let her have the chance to squat in the store...wish me luck lol.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
hmmmmmmm, makes you kinda wonder how much stuff has been pissed on in pet stores. :)

I was in a pet store once to see the owner about something non pet related and noticed a little breed dog piss on a bag of food and the owner just ignored it....well I did not. :) I loudly pointed out what her dog had done and asked her to keep her boy on a shorter leash if he was just going to pee on stuff. She was not amused, but I was. :)

I once walked into a HUGE pet mart in the big city as some people and their 2 Bullmastiffs were leaving........as soon as i was inside this overpowering dog poop smell hit my nostrils. There in the middle of one isle was a massive pile of Bullmastiff, :) , poop. Now can someone tell me why those owners did not alert the staff so the poop could be scooped. They had to get a shovel to scoop that huge pile up! I left and went to another store that did not allow pets inside to get my dogs a treat.

I never bring my guys into a pet store that allows pets inside, too much pee and poo in there for me and I will not shop in pet stores who allow pets inside, I do not want to bring a virus home to my guys on a bag of pissed on dog food.

sorry, it is one of my pet peeves.

Please watch your dogs closely if you do bring them inside a store, keep em on a short lead and keep your eye on them and...if your dog does pee or poo....let the staff know.

:)

Hugz to ALL your pissers!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I also have a rule for males (and any female who might mark) -

"We do NOT pee on things people touch, including garbage cans, planters, etc."

Obviously as posted above when Havoc peed on the person, I do my best but sometimes pee happens :) But I don't think it's ok to let dogs pee on something a human has to touch or clean up, etc. And if my dog has peed on something in the store, I've paid for it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The rule of not peeing on surfaces that people touch is a great one. This I will enforce with the boys.

And yes, staff should be notified if your pooch has pooped/peed on the premises, regardless if its on the floor,shelves or product. I too would be inclined to pay for any damages.

Luckily never had any episodes of one of the boys peeing on someone or their dog :p

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Bronson is housetrained but if someone else peed there, he will to. He only marks other dogs pee spots.
So if we got to petstores I just have to watch him and correct him before he lifts his leg.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Ilka peed at Petsmart once, right in the middle of a training class. :oops: She got to practice her Down Stay while I cleaned it up.

Reactions: Adara and Darkevs
1 - 18 of 18 Posts