Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any input on an herbal supplement called hypo-thyro? This was given to Bumpy to take prior to being neutered to try and raise his thyroid level. The vet said that they would retest his blood after his neutering and see if he needs to go on permanent medication. Not sure why he was given herbal as opposed to regular medication.

Any input from anyone? His thyroid level was .78.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I spelled it wrong - it is Hypo-Thyro by a company called Darcy. This is what I found - which is not much.

Supports and promotes healthy, normal thyroid levels. REQUIRES VETERINARY PRESCRIPTION. World Herbs pet formulas are developed with the botanical wisdom of Traditional Chinese Medicine and adding the wisdom of modern scientific research and Ayurvedic, European, North American, and South American herbal traditions. These complex recipes of interrelated herbs are designed to act synergistically to help relieve suffering and restore wellness. 100% vegetarian. Organic, wildcrafted & 5:1 full spectrum extracts whenever possible. 40 grams, powder.

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
I tried to increase Rocket's thyroid naturally with a thyroid glandular product. It didn't work for him, and we needed the actual medication. Next time I probably wouldn't be so apt to fool around and would go straightto medication if warranted.

The number you are giving us doesn't really mean anything. You're not telling us which number it is, and different labs often have different scales of what is normal for them.

Dobermans need a full thyroid panel which measures Total Thyroxine (TT4), Total Triiodothyronine (TT3), Free T4 (FT4), Free T3 (FT3), T4 Autoantibody, T3 Autoantibody, and canine Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (cTSH).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, let me call and ask the vet what the number means. All she said to me was that they did a blood panel and that his thyroid came back low - that the normal range was between 2 and 4 and his was .78. I didn't know to ask these other questions so I have no idea if they did a full thyroid panel or not. I doubt that they did since it was just a general blood work up I believe. I am going to print this and have the vet do the tests that you suggested. It is so frustrating - I try to do my best but without the knowledge it is hard to get the answers that I need from the vet. My concern is doing his neutering when he has other issues that need to be addressed - I just don't know which one I need to be the most concerned with and which is minor and which is major. vWD affected, doberman head bobbing, thyroid, ulcer....are these minor and I am making a big deal out of them? I am just not getting answers from my vet and I don't know why he wasn't put on medication for his thyroid but was given holistic supplements.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
you may want to look for a new vet. she should have explained everything fully to you. while not immeidiately serious, thyroid is part of the endocrine systmen and there for has systemic symptoms and effects if left untreated. it is not something I would ignore.

I have also heard that getting a thyroid back into normal range helps with vWD. not sure I would take that t the bank as I dont' recall where I heard it from, but worth checking into.

any kind of ulcer can be serious - skin or stomach. if you don't get a full explanation from your vet find one that will tell you explain everything to you and answer all your questions. you should never be getting the bums rush when your dog has medical issues.

just my two cents

cc

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right. I like one of the vets there and I just need to go when I can get her. I am also going to look into another place that I heard good things about. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts