Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ugggh, so I woke up this morning to Bumpy throwing up water, mucuous and blood - four times in an hour. I rushed him to the vet with the baby avocado remains that I found him playing with. The vet immediately did an xray to make sure that the avocado pit was not lodged inside him...thankfully it did not show up on the xray. The vet treated him for an ulcer, gave him two kinds of medications and did blood and urine work. I will have results tomorrow. I was not aware that avocado pits were toxic although I know that there was a blog on here about avocados. He is on special food - I/D. The vet was concerned with possible pancreas problems....not sure what could have caused this. Does anyone have any experience with this? I guess because of his vWd affected status, as the vet says, any internal blood is reason for concern.

My poor boy has had so many health issues lately.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Poor boy. I hope he feels better and you find out what his problem is. Let us know.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Let us know the results of the blood work,I hope he is better soon.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I wish I knew anything to tell you, but I don't :(

I hope everything goes smoothly and is figured out asap. Get well soon Bumpy. (that relaxing pic makes me want a nap)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still waiting for the final results - so far the blood work is showing a really low thyroid - .78 so they want me to go and pick up thyroid medicine....they said this is common with vWD affected status. He is also dehydrated so they gave him fluids in the loose part of his neck. No answer as to what caused the internal bleeding but will let everyone know once I find out. He is being such a love bug right now. Here is another pic of him when he was a baby.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
lanabana said:
Still waiting for the final results - so far the blood work is showing a really low thyroid - .78 so they want me to go and pick up thyroid medicine....they said this is common with vWD affected status. He is also dehydrated so they gave him fluids in the loose part of his neck. No answer as to what caused the internal bleeding but will let everyone know once I find out. He is being such a love bug right now. Here is another pic of him when he was a baby.

Hypothyroidism is common throughout the breed, not just in vWD affected dobes. It definitely can exacerbate the severity of vWD, so you may find his clotting ability improves dramatically once he's on thyroid replacement.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
hope he is doing better - very scary for you.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I hope he feels better soon. pancreatitis can be painful for the dogs. I know one dog when his flares up just stands around with out moving, wont' sit or lie down - it's too painful. that's how his owners know he is hurting.

they are controling his pancreatits by controlling his diet very carefully, special food, treats, no fatty foods, no fats at all really. as long as they are careful, he seems to be doing fine - when he gets into stuff, then it flares up.

cc

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sure hope you find out soon what is going on. The waiting is the hardest part. We certainly hope he gets better really fast!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The vet has said that whatever he ingested should pass within a few days - nothing was found on the xrays and he seems to be feeling much better. His neck is still swollen from the subcutaneous fluids they gave him, but that should be absorbed soon. Perhaps he ate a stick or something that caused the bleeding? He has not yet gone to the bathroom and she said it could take a few days as he is eating I/D. They also gave him carafate and pepsid, basically for an upset tummy.
For his thyroid he was given an herbal supplement called hypo-thyro. Does anyone know what this is? Maybe I should start a new post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts