Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what sets a dog off?

It is weird. Max goes to a fun camp where they put him in with other dogs his size & they get to run around all day. Sometimes as many as 20 dogs are there. He has even made a pal named Linus.

Then there are the 2 girl labs, 1 chocolate & 1 black, by my mom & dad's house, who Max gets along fine with.

I get Max's problem with Chewie, as they are both male dogs trying to live in basically 1 yard & Chewie's owner refuses to take the steps to have them get along.

Now the confusing part. We have taken walks & there is a little beagal puppy that Max acts as if he is afraid of it. The puppy runs up & trys to play & Max trys to get away. Then today at the vet, there was a beagal puppy & Max was whinning & wanting to play. Then another dog came in & he was barking for the most part. We couldn't see the dog, but then the owner had to weigh their dog. Well that is when he & Max saw each other. It was a red doberman & while the dogs were 100 feet away, it sounded like they were killing each other. They both were going nuts & barking very visciously like they were ready to brawl.

I wasn't there, but I was told Max did this one time before with a Great Dane in Petco. From what I have seen, Max wouldn't back down from a fight with a dog his size or bigger. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
460 Posts
This is just my very unscientific theory on the subject since this happens to my own dogs quite a bit. I think that just like people, dogs can meet others(this includes dogs and people) who they like right away and others they find an immediate dislike for. Ava can meet a dog that she hits it off with and they're off playing like two best friends and other dogs can cause her to raise the hair on the back of her neck and bare her teeth at them. I can't seem to find a pattern. Sometimes they're large or small, sometimes they're male or female. Perhaps it's a smell they pick up from the other dog or maybe it's the way the other dog postures when they meet that causes them to react like that.

Whatever the real reason maybe, when around other dogs, I closely watch her body language to monitor how she feels. If I notice her becomming aggetated or nervous I'll get her away from that situation.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I've noticed that about my mutt Scrappy, when we walk, there are lots of dogs in my neighborhood. Some (most) of them she doesn't look at, some she gets really excited around, and the rest she gets really aggressive with , hair goes up, growling, etc. We're not any closer to them then any of the other dogs or anything, it's wierd why some affect her differently.
Lexy pretty much doesn't care, and my other dog just goes batty over any dog.

·
Extraordimary
4,927 Posts
SamHayne said:
Does anyone know what sets a dog off?

....Should I be concerned?
Yes, of course you should be concerned.

The difference that I see in the situations you described was the leash. It sounds like Max maybe has a case of leash aggression. When he's playing loose with other dogs, he hasn't had a problem (although frankly, I don't believe in putting dogs into large groups and expecting them to play and get along - I think you're just asking for trouble and who's going to get blamed? You and the "big dog".) He has had problems when he's encountered dogs on leash - fight or flight kicks in and there's no flight option.

Male Dobermans are generally same sex aggressive. It's common, it's to be expected and I wouldn't expect a male Doberman to want to play with and get along with other males. I wouldn't put him into a situation where that is expected.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
You might want to check out this article "HE JUST WANTS TO SAY "HI!"
By Suzanne Clothier. It does explain some good points about dog behavior.

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

My little girl has a few issues with how other dogs approach her when she's at the dog park. Its mostly with a new dog she has not seen before. If they get in her face without any appropriate dog language, she tells them to move along. If they persist, the snarling, growling begins and she chases them away. It does not look pretty, but mostly they get the hint. After a few meetings after that, everything is fine.

But of course, since she' s a dobergirl, the owners over react. If its a min pin, its like "Aw, let them work it out". Its a curse....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MaryAndDobes said:
(although frankly, I don't believe in putting dogs into large groups and expecting them to play and get along - I think you're just asking for trouble and who's going to get blamed? You and the "big dog".)
well, the thing with this is, it is run by the Goldrusk pet care center. None of the dogs owners are allowed in & before your dog can go, they have to be screened to make sure there won't be any real issues. Goldrusk does obedience training, boarding, grooming & does invisible fencing. It is them & their staff with the dogs. They also keep dogs of the same size together. Tuesday & Thursday it is large dogs like boxers, Dobermans, German Shepperds, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, etc.

So if there is a problem, the owner & his big dog aren't held responsible. If there are issues, the staff separates them & gives them separate play times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts