Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I am right; however, someone close to me chided me for telling people who compete that their dog is beautiful. She said not to do that because these people don't want to hear that and that it is not done. When has friendliness gone out of style? What better way to meet more show people than starting out with how great their dog looks? If I didn't think their dog was good looking, I wouldn't tell people that.

What do all you competitors think?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I think you've been told a load of nonsense. People *love* to be complimented on their show dogs-whether at a dog show or anywhere else.

I think you need to be careful about not disturbing someone who might be readying their dog for the ring at a show, etc..but the whole concept that compliments "arent' done" is absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
My husband has been known to stop complete strangers to tell them their dog is beautiful. These aren't even show dogs. No one has taken offence.
He even asked if he could take some pictures on his phone of a dog he saw out walking regularly. This dog was a yellow lab/basset hound cross. Husband chatted with the owners and told them how much he loved seeing their dog. He truly thought it was beautiful. These folks were very pleased.

I feel a compliment given with genuine intent is never misplaced.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
I love it when people tell me my girl is pretty :)

The more the merrier!

Reactions: Sorceress_Mage

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
That is silly!! Of course people want to hear good things about their dogs!!! Sounds like maybe your friend is a little controlling :)

·
Premium Member
8,760 Posts
That is so not true!! I get total strangers complementing my dogs all the time at shows, and asking to take pictures..... it is always nice to hear that people think that your dog is beautiful.

Not too many show dogs are ugly.... heck, not too many ugly Dobermans out there ...even if they are far from perfect!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
OMG - If people did not think their dog was beautiful and want validation of that they probably would not be showing it!

Murrey is right, when people are warming up their dogs for the ring you might not get the gushing thanks you would expect but aside from that - definitely tell people they have good looking dogs!

Sue L

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I agree that somebody told you a bunch of nonsense! Personally, I love hearing from people how beautiful Jordan is...I'd never be offended! :)

Jan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts