Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Officer Murphy #28
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently lost my best friend Bella in May to lung cancer and had a bit of a hiatus from the web site. Two weeks ago I was introduced to a 4yr old male red Doberman named Deacon who needed a home. I wasn't for sure if I was emotionally ready yet, but if it didn't work out then he would go to our rescue adoption program at work. After a few weeks my son, my cat, and myself got to know him and decided he would be a good fit for us.

Okay on to the issues I am having with him, I have had a red Doberman before and Bella also had a bit of skin issues in the end. Deacon has the usual dry flaky skin, which the previous owner gave allergy shots for. The previous owner also fed him Diamond Premium Adult dog food. After speaking with the lady who has over 30yrs of experience with Dobermans about a dog food that could possibly help his issues out without him having to get a shot she suggested Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. He's only been on it for a few weeks, but he will not eat it dry. I have to wet food on it so he will eat it. I would like for him to be able to eat dry dog food without something on it, because he is overweight.

I have looked online and shopped around a bit, does anyone have anything that has worked for them?

The second issue I have is he has little muscle mass on the top of his head and around the jaw area. When I spoke with the owner she had said that he has always been that way and when seeing Deacon's brother he looks like a normal Doberman. Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be or have had a dog with this? The Vet said she wasn't for sure about it and that she would research it to see what it could be. (there's a photo I attached of him). I just thought this would be a good forum to get some feedback from the dobie community. Sorry this is so long! Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The Diamond has both corn and wheat in it... probably the top two ingredients for causing reactions. Probably, you don't specifically need the Pro Plan... you just need something with no corn or wheat. He's overweight and he won't eat... I am not sure that I am really seeing the problem, here LOL! If you want him to eat the Pro Plan without wet food... don't put wet food on it and let him decide when he's hungry enough. If you want to find something he'll like better, there are lots of choices. Possibly, he is not a dog who prefers fish.

The muscle-on-his-head dealie... how long had the previous owner had him? There are a couple of things that do this, but they are degenerative things... "always been that way" is for how long? His whole entire life? Does he seem impaired in any way, or in any discomfort? Does everything seem to work the way it should?

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If he is over weight you can always add green beans to the dog food helps fill them up plus over time after you get him to the weight you want you can always cut back on the green beans.Have a overweight Dachshund most all Dachshunds are over weight I fed Wellness Small dog weight control food. I would think they would have a weight control for larger dogs too. My Doberman Buddy has what they call a Sagittal Crest which is a ridge of bone in the middle of the top of the head,also have very strong jaws.Maybe that is what your Fur kid has I have tried to get a picture of the top of Buddy's head but do not seem to be able to get a good picture of it.

·
Officer Murphy #28
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I did go online and see that Diamond has by products and corn, so I'm definitely going to keep him off of that. Heck when I went to Petsmart they didn't even have it. Very true about him possibly not liking fish. I guess I'm use to my other Dobes that just ate like there was no tomorrow! lol About the lack of muscle, the Vet said it could possibly be muscle atrophy? She said she hasn't seen it before in Dobermans though. He acts normal and seems to have no problems. The owner has had him and his brother since they were puppies and stated he has always had that his whole life. And yes the Vet also recommended we get a thyroid test on him.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I would get on that thyroid test and medication. My boy has the same symptoms including lack of muscle on his head, and he has very low thyroid levels. It won't get better unless his thyroid levels are correct.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I second, third and fourth the Thyroid Panel. Make sure you get a full panel sent to MSU, Idexx or Dr. Dodds. A T4 run by the vet won't tell the whole story.

Try a low cal grain free food. Good luck with your new dober-friend.

·
Officer Murphy #28
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys! I will definitely bring him in Monday to get a thyroid panel done!

·
Banned
948 Posts
Hi. The photo doesn't show alot of what you might be talking about. Does your pup have favorite toys to chew on?... I am sitting here watching our dog CHOMP on a Kong toy, and I can literally see all of his muscles forming on top of his head, around his ears, jaw, his neck, his shoulders. his forearms pawing... ect... (I am just wondering if chewing toys are part of his regime.)?

·
Officer Murphy #28
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah he has a tennis ball and rope toy. Quite frankly when I first saw him his face looked emaciated because he has no muscle on top of his head or down by his jaw area. The rest of his body is perfectly fine he does have two white toe nails side by side and by the nails is white hair..kind of weird. lol I uploaded a few more pics, it's kind of hard to see in pics.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts