Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Its been a very long time I post some sort of Nikita's progress. Since I posted a few details in another post I thought I would give a few update. Since the last update we have made progress. Acupuncture treatments helped a lot, with her receiving them every 6 weeks. We reduced her prednisone levels down too 10mg every four days. We were happy with her progress.

Unbeknown to us, with her weakened hind end, became to much stress on her left rear leg. About 8 weeks ago, we noticed a significant issue with her favoring that leg. She tore her Achilles tendon. A set back for her. After some difficult conversations of how much should we put her through, we decided to proceed with the surgery. If it wasn't for her spirit and the only way to explain it, her spark, we felt Nikita wasn't ready to give up.

Its been about 6 weeks since the surgery and she has adapted well with her new cast. She should be getting her new brace, hopefully in the next weeks and then another 8 -10 weeks of therapy until we will know the full results of her recovery. Even with the cast, she still wants to wrestle with Alexis and still tries us to play fetch with her. She's not very good of following the doctors advice for bed rest, but that's Nikita. This girl hasn't caught a break in a long time. But she keep's trying.

Her's a few photo's of her in the Dr's office today, getting her bandages changed.

Of course, here's one of Alexis wanting to have her moment too.

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Nikita is sooooo lucky to have you! She looks great and full of life.

Reactions: Kratty

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Great to hear from you, Kratty! I am sorry to hear about Nikitas leg, but good to know the operation went well. What a trooper she is! Best wishes for her future. Give Nikita and Alexis an ear rub/scratch each from me, too.

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
She looks great. I hope for a full recovery! Thanks for sharing.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Aw Great pics. She looks happy. My lily had a full TPLO when she was 6 years old. As she tore her ACL. I used to carry her myself up and down a set of pretty steep stairs....as you all know...they want to be right with us! Lily will be 12 this year and she's going strong. She walks/runs a little funny....but she loves life and is still very active. Keep up the good work! It's worth it!

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Nikita looks great! Wishing her a speedy recovery. :)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for your well wishes and moral support. Right now, only time will tell what the outcome will be. We are really hoping that this does improve her rear end support and that she could gain a better support for her hind end.

Since she should be getting in to the brace in a week or so, we are pretty anxious for this. And then the rehabilitation starts. One a good note, most of the weight that she put on since the ventral slot surgery is gone. She down to about 88-90 pound range. She topped the scale at 110 at her worst. Even though with had to restart the high dosage of prednisone after the tendon surgery due to a scare of the back end failing again just as a precaution. Looking back now, I think it just took her a longer longer coming out from the surgery than what the surgeon expected and the erred on the side of caution.

If everything goes right I see another music video coming our way in the coming months.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement.

Nikita says "Woofies to all"

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
She is one tough, happy girl. That's obvious in your stories and pictures. I so love that first photo of her, smiling beautifully. Hugs to both the girls!!!

Reactions: akturbo

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Thank you for taking time to post. Nikita is often in my thoughts.

We'll look forward to a music video update!

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Kratty!!! So good for you to touch base and let us know how Nikita is doing and Alexis too of course! Wishing for great success and a full recovery for Nikita and I can not wait for one of your famous videos!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks so much for the update. She has been through a lot, that's for sure. I think a new video is just what the doctor ordered for ALL of us! Hugs to Nikita and Alexis!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts