Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to say I'm not an irresponsible breeder trying to make a quick buck. I truly love dogs and want to help better them and will have the proper testing and best pedigrees I can afford. I have a dream of creating a new leader in the K9 officer field. I want to cross a Rhodesian Ridgeback a Red Dobermann and another I haven't decided yet. I just want to know how you feel on this mix,whether or not it would be capable of police work and another breed to add to the mix.

This is something I truly want to do so please no condescending comments. Thanks

I can't upload my ridgeback pic but they're all over the web.

Attachments

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
:popcorn:

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
It's hard to judge the ability of a mix breed that uses three dogs when you don't even know what the third dog is.

Do you do any work with police dogs? Do you have any experience with it? Have you discussed this with people who are in this field? You mention testing and pedigrees but what about titling and working ability?

What would make this dog better than the dogs that are used now? Dobes used to be used in this kind of work but, to my understanding, their short/single-layered coats make them less versatile in different types of weather/climate conditions.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Belgium Malinois

Reactions: Australdi

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The third bred I wanted to be long haired so they could be more versatile. I was thinking Dutch Shepard but I wanted something closer to the coat color of the other two. I'm 16 so I don't have any experience with police dogs but this is a career I am very interested in. By pedigrees I mean the best working class dogs from Europe (or wherever they're best bred for working) so I have the best genes possible. Thank you for your feed back.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Honestly?

I think that you should get yourself into the career and work with the dogs before you even consider creating "a new leader in the K9 officer field." It's hard to take someone seriously if they have NO experience in what they're talking about. That's like breeders who flaunt that they have the best dogs in america but do nothing to actually prove that their dogs are the best. They just breed them.

I do agree that there are a lot of mixed breed dogs around. I think that if this is something that I were to seriously consider doing myself than I would not go at it along. I'd be working with a group of people working with the same goal in mind. I'd be using the best dogs of each breed (fully titled, temperament tested, health tested for everything that the specific breed requires, etc), not just any dog. I don't know much about making new breeds of dog but to my understanding, if you wan't to do it correctly and legitimately it's not something that you go about alone.

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Are you doing this because you have a doberman & a rhodesian ridgeback or have you looked at the genetics involved & come up with a 'superdog'?

Might it might be a mistake to mix dogs that have similar traits; aloofness, agressiveness, hip problems, extremely high energy levels, stubborn, etc.?

I guess in the end I'm not seeing where mixing breeds is going to give you better than what you currently have - but if you have valid reasons I'm willing to listen.
Kate

Edited to say now that I see your age & hear more about your dream, I agree that you should get into the field first - but also take some serious biology courses so that you can make educated choices about how to get to your end result. It isn't going to work if you just experiment, you'll need to learn how & why genes work the way they do. You are going to need experience and education.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I do not see what a Ridgeback would bring into the mix.
And I wouid leave that up to the professionals that have been breeding/working protection dogs for longer than you have been alive. ;)

If you are really interested in protection dogs you should start going to local Schutzhund/french ring/mondio club trials

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Steps involved...

Finish high school
Go to police academy
Join K9 unit
Figure out the deficiencies in the mals/sheps they currently use
Study breeds, figure out how to improve on the current K9s

In short, come back to this pet project in quite a few years/decades when you have something to bring to the table beyond "matching coat colors".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. You guys are alot more accepting than I expected. First thanks to PatchworkRobot for telling me how it is. This is just a rough idea but I know this is something I really want to succeed in and will continue collecting knowledge until I reach my goal. @smudgeid I looked at the diffrent traits size working ability etc. etc. and came to these two. I had Greater swiss in the mix but I think that's a little to big and might weigh it down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
come back to this pet project in quite a few years/decades when you have something to bring to the table beyond "matching coat colors".
I am finished High school a currently trying to find my way in life.I'm caught in kind of a limbo right now since I legally can't train for police work. I don't have decades if I want to do this and do it right it wil take 20-30 years at least. I have more than matching color,That I haven't explained yet. Thanx

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Okie dokie.

I just gotta ask... What is it abut the current K9(usually Malinois) you think is deficient? What areas do you intend to "improve"? Drive? Stamina? Size? Speed? Brains? Nose? Grip?

What traits do you think a good K9 needs? What in your breeding program will be improved upon? What will be traded off?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Stamina speed and brains are the most important in my opinion. The Ridgeback will bring the stamina with bravery and toughness. The doberman gives the speed agility and a slight mean streak. The Dutch Shepherd brings it all together with the brains and long coat. Those are the main traits I liked when I chose these three. The ridgebacks wider head will also increase the bite force a bit. That's my base eventually as I start learning and gaining experience it might change. :)

The down side is the size 85-90 at least. I haven't looked at how heavy Gsd or Malinous get but they seem to be much lighter.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I hope that you start learning by spending some time with these actual breeds of dogs, as well as working k9s.

No disrespect meant, but it's kinda like saying I could improve chemotherapy even though I'm not an oncologist and have no medical training. Don't just start throwing dogs together just to see what sticks. If you really love dogs, these breeds, or any other, visit a shelter and see what happens to mixed breed puppies.

Im not trying to crush your 16yo dream, but please consider the ramifications of your actions before embarking on this lil journey. It is a very cool "mental project", but it should stay that way for the foreseeable future.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
actually you need to talk to the cops that handle dogs themselves
they know alot...and they know what they want...they know the health issues too and
expect excellence in the breeding program
I do not think your idea is good--ridgebacks are hunting dogs from what I know
before you go crazy breeding talk to some cops==most prefer German Shepherds from Germany the do like Dobes but complain about the breeding because of the tempermants...from what I have seen online....I do not know all the issues just a few from the research I have done

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Stamina speed and brains are the most important in my opinion. The Ridgeback will bring the stamina with bravery and toughness. The doberman gives the speed agility and a slight mean streak. The Dutch Shepherd brings it all together with the brains and long coat. Those are the main traits I liked when I chose these three. The ridgebacks wider head will also increase the bite force a bit. That's my base eventually as I start learning and gaining experience it might change. :)

The down side is the size 85-90 at least. I haven't looked at how heavy Gsd or Malinous get but they seem to be much lighter.

what is wrong with this post...this statement....it says IN MY OPINION
you don't have any business breeding dogs based on your own understanding
you need serious background info you seem to not have and from my experience = if you TRUELY love something and are CALLED TO DO IT =LEARNING IS NOT A PROBLEM...I always question the validity of someone's projects if they have no desire to learn what they are doing...or make improvements--I mean how long have you been in the dog breeding business...are you a known breeder...have you made improvements in the dog world already...do you have a degree in this stuff or have you worked on a police force....if the answer to this is no=-=you need to find another hobby
the world is overflowing with so many animals that eighty five percent of them are euthanized in the shelters....we do not need more dogs just to try an idea out

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
also if no one here has heard of you or knows you -that right there tells me you have not done a thing in the Doberman world....not a good start

1 - 20 of 196 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.