Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share a positive story about an encounter with my Dobie. We all have stories of how people judge our dogs because of the breed we decided to fall in love with. Remigton is judged almost everywhere he goes because he is a "bully breed". He makes people clear aisles, knock stuff off of end caps in their haste to get away from him, and the list goes on. But I had an experience just recently that almost brought tears to my eyes, so thought I would share. My husband and I were going up to Big R which is our local ranch and farm store and Remington is always with us when we go there. He is kinda a local celeberity there since most of the workers have watched him grow up, so when he walks through the front door he has to go say hi to everyone. On this day we walked through the door and a family was checking out and the ladies son asked his mom if he could go pet the dog. The mother didn't hesitate just told her son to ask before he pets him. The boy came up and politely asked to pet Remington and of course I said yes because my boy LOVES little kids. When the mother gets done she joins her son and starts petting Remington and loving up on him. Then she tells us her story......She was visciously attacked by a red doberman over thirty years ago and she still bears the scars on her face from the attack. She then went on to tell us this is the first time she has been this close to a Doberman since the attack let alone petting one. She said she couldn't help but notice how everyone there loved him and the fact that he had such kind eyes. She said she knew it was not the breed itself but the owner of the breed that created the monster that attacked her, but it was a fear that she had not overcame. Remington made her take a huge step in over coming her fears with his gentle attitude and his pet me look he gives everyone. I was so proud of my boy that he got a special treat that day at the store. I know he has no idea what he did that day but I was one proud momma. Sorry for the novel just thought I would share a great story. :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
It's excellent that you could help someone get over their fears! :) and excellent that she is educated and has a open mind regarding so called 'dangerous' dogs. It would be much better if everyone could think like her!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are quite a few breeds that have been classified as "bully breeds" which has caused lots of media attention and in turn causes hate and content for the breed. Some of the breeds are Dobermans, GSD, Rottweilers, Siberian Huskies, Pit Bulls, Akitas, Chows and a few more. Some animal shelters are trying to adopt the policy that none of these breeds will be adopted out and all will be euthanized. There are a lot of military bases that will not allow these breeds on there base and I have been turned down at an RV park because of my Doberman. People get caught up in the garbage they read so they assume all of these dogs are bad and want nothing to do with them and some have a great fear of them. Hope this helps explain it better.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
That was a GREAT story, brought tears to my eyes also. I know someone that had to get rid of their dog because they were moving on base housing. So stupid, sometimes it's the LITTLE ones you really have to watch!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think she said "huh" because a Doberman is not in the bully breed category. They're in the "aggressive breed" category; but not bully. Bully breeds are anything with bully in the name more or less.. Pit Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, all Bulldogs, Amstaff, Staffordshire Bull Terrier etc..

This is a great story though. Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think she said "huh" because a Doberman is not in the bully breed category. They're in the "aggressive breed" category; but not bully. Bully breeds are anything with bully in the name more or less.. Pit Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, all Bulldogs, Amstaff, Staffordshire Bull Terrier etc..

This is a great story though. Thanks for sharing :)
Didn't think about that part since lately they have been listed in both categories. But yes they are usually in the aggressive breed category, but for some reason they are moving more breeds in the bully breed category.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not to derail the thread here, but you can't just "move" a breed into the bully breed category. Bully refers to a breed that goes back to bulldogs. English Bulldog, American Bulldog, French Bulldog, AmStaf, Pit Bull Terrier, Staffy, etc. A Doberman cannot be classified as a bully breed, as it does not originate from bulldogs. If you mated a Doberman with an American Bulldog, then you could call it a bully. Bully breeds and "aggressive" breeds are an entirely different thing altogether. No relation. Sorry, I'm a creep about definitions/word origins etc. Not my most attractive quality. ;)

Good boy, RemRem!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Right on Remington!!!!
I love stories like this because in the past with my first two dobes, I changed a few ppls attitudes towards the breed. Actually, I use to tell ppl don't worry about the dobes, you have to fear my orange cat.
I have also had the attitude to never judge a book by its cover. Now, why would I have that opinion. It stems from having a pronounced blue vein on the side of my face when I was a young kid. I learned very young, people can be very cruel. I was troubled by the treatment I got and expressed it to my uncle, he told me, tell those ignorant f$)-9%'s, that you fell down and stepped on your face. It worked out great and I had fun with it. That vein went away as the doctors predicted but what I learned has stayed with me.
When I first fell in love with my cousins Doberman when I was a teen, I told Kaiser(1), we have alot in common, we might be outcasts but we have a huge heart and we are gentle giants.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once again sorry about the wrong wording, now hopefully everyone is done dragging me through the coals on it. That was not the point of the story. I had just got done reading tons of articles about what NC was trying to pass and all the titles had "bully breeds" on top. Im sick and tired of breeds being judged for what they are, I was in the middle of typing the above story and hence my wording. I'm not an idiot and know my dog is considered an aggressive breed, along with my GSD and husky wolf cross. The problem with society is they focus on the negative and don't know when to let it go.

·
Registered
551 Posts
It is very sad. I would like to think that breed stereotypes will all fade away with more education, but I think it's more likely that these things happen in waves. The Dobermans were horribly stereotyped in the 70s/80s, now all the controversy has moved to pitties. I wonder which breed will be next?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It is very sad. I would like to think that breed stereotypes will all fade away with more education, but I think it's more likely that these things happen in waves. The Dobermans were horribly stereotyped in the 70s/80s, now all the controversy has moved to pitties. I wonder which breed will be next?
While not a proponant of BSL, I am also a believer in genetics and do not subscribe to the rose-colored-glasses theory that all doggies are nice doggies unless they are raised to be "mean." Your "which breed will be next" musing scares the crap out of me. There are folks in my area which are now producing badly-bred and poorly-raised Cane Corsos and other guardian mastiff types... I don't know if the intention is to produce dangerous, human-aggressive dogs, but they are doing a good job of it so far.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
While not a proponant of BSL, I am also a believer in genetics and do not subscribe to the rose-colored-glasses theory that all doggies are nice doggies unless they are raised to be "mean." Your "which breed will be next" musing scares the crap out of me. There are folks in my area which are now producing badly-bred and poorly-raised Cane Corsos and other guardian mastiff types... I don't know if the intention is to produce dangerous, human-aggressive dogs, but they are doing a good job of it so far.
I totally agree with you some does come from genetics, and I'm also scared of what dog will be next. Im sadden to hear about the Cane's, I have a friend that has one who is a total sweetheart. There will always be BYB that will destroy the foundation of what the breed was based on. :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts