Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was on a local TV station last night - Much of this ----- We all know ,

As most know on here , Evie got a blockage this summer , I was lucky and caught it at the very first and rushed her to the VCA Advanced in Fishers IN , I was scared to death as I knew there would be a wait time , I was told up to 6 hours or more , The tech came out and checked her out and then was put on a list , With GREAT luck - another Vet came in to help the over load and they got her in , in 2 and a 1/2 hours , which is a life time to me , they are doing there best and I had to keep reminding myselfof that - Ken - stay cool : ))

Meadowcat put up a great story about Vets and the high suicide rate , Maybe MC you could repost that story , its a good reminder for us all .

BTW -Evie had to get the obstruction on a weekend : )

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm glad to hear that she was able to be seen sooner!

And why is it when its an emergency, it always happens on the weekends? Or at least, that's what happens to me!

Reactions: melbrod and ECIN

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Our local ER went to referral only unless someone shows up with a true emergent case. They were overwhelmed with calls which should never have been routed to them in the first place.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our local ER went to referral only unless someone shows up with a true emergent case. They were overwhelmed with calls which should never have been routed to them in the first place.
When regular vets can't see a dog for 3 weeks, a lot of people turned to taking their dog to the ER for what should have been a regular vet visit. Personally I don't blame people for doing it, but I also don't blame the ERs for setting new rules to deal with it. The whole thing is a mess, and I'm among those who pray my dogs don't get anything "regular" that should be looked at quickly but isn't an emergency.

·
Super Moderator
22,848 Posts
From a FB post that was shared not too long ago, this is the state of affairs that is going on in vet med right now. Quoting:
___
"As of 2021 there are now 183,000,000 pets (dogs and cats) owned in the US. In 2018 there were 135,000,000.
Our country added FOURTY EIGHT MILLION patients to our profession in 3 years.
In 2018 there were 113,394 veterinarians.
In 2021 there ARE 118,624 plus our dedicated techs and assistants who are floundering under this burden.
That is ONE doctor for every 1000 animals.
Let me say that again: that is ONE Veterinarian PER 1000 patients.
YOU DO THE MATH. If you’re frustrated you cannot get in with your pet, if you’re mad about wait times at ANY vet’s office, if you’re feeling your pet is not getting the attention it deserves, it’s not. Because we can’t. WE CANNOT. Our profession CANNOT statistically support this rate of expansion at this time, in this country. PERIOD.
We are trying. We are drowning. Our profession is imploding. Think about it, human hospitals are not able to handle the sheer magnitude of the sick human population during COVID. And WE (veterinary medicine) are not able to handle how may pets were adopted (or more often) PURCHASED during the COVID pandemic.
This will not go away. These pets will live normal long lives (most of them) and so our profession will not be out of this for over a decade. If you think this “crazy wait time” will subside with the country wide pandemic, think again. There are only so many vet schools. Only so many new veterinary doctors. And endless patients out there…
Please THINK about that before you berate us. Yell at us. Get frustrated with us. Tell us we don’t care about your pet. Please think about that before you decide now is a good time to buy a dog or a cat.
Please think about that when that exhausted veterinary nurse comes to bring your pet inside and you have to wait hours to talk to the doctor. One doctor for every 1000 patients. This is a cry for help and compassion. From the trenches.
Want to help? Be kind. Be patient. Be understanding. Listen to recommendations respectfully. Don’t assume veterinarians are lying about how busy they are or that they are scamming you.
Help us."

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our country added FOURTY EIGHT MILLION patients to our profession in 3 years.
Am I the only one who reads that and wonders -- where did they come from? Did breeders for some reason revv up that much that fast? Counting from 3 years ago predates Covid.

And am I the only one who shudders thinking of the next years, because if breeders are producing at that rate, now that Covid is over, what's going to happen to all those extra puppies?

·
Super Moderator
22,848 Posts
Am I the only one who reads that and wonders -- where did they come from? Did breeders for some reason revv up that much that fast? Counting from 3 years ago predates Covid.

And am I the only one who shudders thinking of the next years, because if breeders are producing at that rate, now that Covid is over, what's going to happen to all those extra puppies?
Well, the odd thing is that we also have, at the same time, kind of a deficit of nice pet dogs in much of the country. There is actually a huge shortage of available dogs. There are not enough well bred puppies for those who want them, and in many areas of the country (including mine), the rescues are actually continually having to ship in pets from other areas of the country to fill the demand, because we simply don't have dogs in rescue anymore; or, at least, we don't have healthy, behaviorally stable dogs in rescue. So it's an interesting situation. I'm following a conversation on FB amongst some friends about the problem we've gotten into. That's a conversation for another thread (or not), but between the movement to spay and neuter everything. the mantra that you must "adopt, don't shop" and how that has made buying from a breeder shameful (and breeding shameful and more difficult), we have certainly painted ourselves into a corner when it comes to the availability of nice family dogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts