Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After cropping the ear i noticed that a small amount of bone is visible at the base of the ear on both side p.is it common or should i be concerned .I noticed it 2 days after

Edit: and also some stiches are cutting through the skin or is it just wound swelling

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
I think what you are seeing (if you are looking a the very bottom of the cropped area on both sides?) is cartilage and I think your cropper might want to see that--that area is hard to suture and slower to heal because of the cartilage. And often puppies pop the sutures at that part of the crop.

So the vet might want to re suture or might say it'll be fine--but worth checking it out in any case.

And yes, sometimes swelling in the sutured areas will end up with the sutures pulling through tissue if there is a lot of swelling. I'd point out the area on the left ear (I think) too while you are asking about the suturing.

dobebug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think what you are seeing (if you are looking a the very bottom of the cropped area on both sides?) is cartilage and I think your cropper might want to see that--that area is hard to suture and slower to heal because of the cartilage. And often puppies pop the sutures at that part of the crop.

So the vet might want to re suture or might say it'll be fine--but worth checking it out in any case.

And yes, sometimes swelling in the sutured areas will end up with the sutures pulling through tissue if there is a lot of swelling. I'd point out the area on the left ear (I think) too while you are asking about the suturing.

dobebug
Will it become jagged ear once its healed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry its my first time cropping a dog.
The sutures at the base came off .i noticed it today ,how much should I worry
It ripped off the ear on both sides

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
If all the sutures at the base pulled out you need to contact the cropper--usually they want to clean up the area and put in a new set of sutures. It it actually tore off tissue on both sides the cropper needs to see this NOW--sooner not later. If you leave some of this stuff for any major length of time they will have to remove tissue to get to clean tissue in order to resuture it.

You should call the cropper and make arrangements NOW to get in and have this taken care of. At this point I'd be very worried and I be getting any puppy of mine in to see the vet now--stop worrying about it and do something about it--in this case it means get the puppy to the vet so the vet can do what needs to be done.

dobebug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If all the sutures at the base pulled out you need to contact the cropper--usually they want to clean up the area and put in a new set of sutures. It it actually tore off tissue on both sides the cropper needs to see this NOW--sooner not later. If you leave some of this stuff for any major length of time they will have to remove tissue to get to clean tissue in order to resuture it.

You should call the cropper and make arrangements NOW to get in and have this taken care of. At this point I'd be very worried and I be getting any puppy of mine in to see the vet now--stop worrying about it and do something about it--in this case it means get the puppy to the vet so the vet can do what needs to be done.

dobebug
Thanks man, I'm going to call and make an appointment as soon as possible and yes all the sutures at both ear are gone, it lloks like it ripped through the tissue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts