Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say "hello" to all of you fine folks. I read a few threads and knew I needed to sign up here and, quite frankly, take advantage of all of your collective knowledge and obvious passion for the Doberman breed.

I am from a suburb of Minneapolis, MN and am 42 years old. Ever since I was a little kid I have wanted a Doberman but could not convince my parents...sigh. Then, after college came work, and then a wife, and then two wonderful kids so there was never any time it seemed to get the research done and fulfill my dream of owning my first Doberman. But now it is time--I have the time to do the research and still have the empty place in my heart that is waiting for my dog to come into my life.

It seems that folks here have kind of a short fuse on certain subjects, so let me say that I have absolutely zero interest in becoming a breeder--backyard or otherwise. Likewise, I am really not interested in "showing" the dog either--he or she will be a champion in my heart and quite frankly that's all that matters to me. As silly and sappy as it may sound coming from a grown man, I am looking only for a well-behaved, obediant Doberman that my family can love with all of our hearts and souls and one that will return that love in the form of a face-lick, a game of fetch, a swim at the lake, a walk around the park, or just a good old-fashioned belly-rub (for the dog that is, not the owner).

That being said, I am willing to drive wherever I need to as it sounds like the "breeders" in MN are not real breeders at all. I absolutely want the best Doberman I can find in terms of health issues and agressiveness -- I do not want to be attacked in my sleep. I am most interested in buying a dog from a highly reputable breeder than I am in learning all of the questions I need to ask regarding cardiac arhythmia, etc., but will certainly do so if that's what I have to do. I know this process will take some time and I know I won't be out buying a dog by the end of the week--I have waited 40 years for this so I can wait a bit longer if need be.

So thank you for taking the time to read my first post to this forum & site. If there is anyone out there in Internet-Land that can help me fulfill this dream of mine and has some recommendations, referrals, whatever, please let me know. I will be reading this forum forever now that I have found it, but you can also reach me at technicalgenius at gee mail dottie comm (bypass the filters).

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me personally, but thank you also for your obvious dedication to the breed. It really warms my heart to see folks this passionate about a dog that I have dreamed about all my life. I am confident I will find the right dog for me and my family as long as folks like you are out there. Thanks a million

Scott

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi and welcome :) Good for you for waiting until you have time for a doberman and for doing your research. Do this correctly and you are likely to end up with the dog of your dreams :) This forum is an amazing resource and can answer pretty much any questions you have. www.dpca.org is a good resource for learning and tracking down a breeder. The biggest advice probably anyone can give you is to choose a reputable breeder who does all health tests and clearances. A lot of people assume they can get a cheaper puppy from a backyard breeder since they don't want to breed or show. Please take your time and find a good ethical breeder. You will end up with a dog who is less prone to health issues, a more solid temprament, and the lifetime support of your breeder. Good luck in your search and again, welcome! :)

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Welcome, neighbor!

I'd recommend contacting Mandy at Jaimand Dobermans (Home). She has a litter on the ground right now. Don't know if they are all spoken for or not, but it's worth contacting her.

If you want to look a little further afield, there are a lot of happy Bruda owners on DT: Home -.

I would also encourage you to consider a rescue dog. I volunteer with Doberman Rescue Minnesota, and there are always some great dogs in rescue looking for a forever home: Doberman Rescue Minnesota | Dog Rescue. In fact, we have a very nice one year old male who just came into rescue recently. He's a typical adolescent male who hasn't had much training, but great potential!

Reactions: TechnicalGenius

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Welcome! As others have said getting a doberman from an ethical breeder is going to be your best bet, or a rescue :) breeders breed for show and pet. Not all of their puppies can be show so they also sell to people that just wants a dobe as a pet. Purchasing from an ethical breeder will give you lifetime support, testing of genetic disease, a sound temperament among many other things.

I have owner both a rescue and from an ethical breeder and both were a great experience, maybe even fostering a dobe before you buy one can get you prepared for owning one. Congrats on doing your research, I wish you all the luck :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hello from Japan:)
I cannot provide you any info regarding the breeders but I wanted to tell you that your situation was quite similar to my husband. He waited for nearly 40 years! Since he was a boy he's read tons of books related to dobermans so he was like a doberman expert although he had never had any dogs as his parents said "No."
3 years ago he fell sick at his office and stayed at the hospital for a week. This event changed his life and way of thinking. Before then, he used to say "I'll have a doberman when I retire at 60." But who knows whether he can make it. He convinced me, searched around nationwide and luckily he found the "It" girl;) She came to our home 2 months after he was released from the hospital.
I hope you'll meet your perfect match!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A Lifelong Dream...Fulfilled!

Well, it took a great deal of searching around the country (and Canada) to find what I was looking for in my first Dobe (and a reasonable price--I was absolutely amazed at the price range from breeder to breeder).

The only thing I did not do was get his ears cropped. I read a lot about this topic and just decided against it. I have nothing against those owners that do have their doggy's ears cropped--it just was not something I chose to do with my new puppy.

So anyway, I thought I would show a couple pictures of "Lord Cerberus Winfield" ("Cerby" (SIR-bee)). We adopted him last September and he has already grown to ~50 pounds! Thanks to all who offered their advice and well-wishes in my quest for Cerby--I really appreciate it!

Scott

Attachments

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
oh my gosh he is adorable! congrats!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts