Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So spured by kwhite (yup I called ya out ;)) I decided to make a picture diagram of most of the styles of choke collar, how to wear them, and what it looks like when they are sized right and not sized right.

Forgive the picture quality....mabel was mad she was woken up for this, and I didnt feel like messing with my cameras color tone

From left to right the different styles (basic in smaller and larger size) thin show, medium weight snake, and fur saver

Before being put on they should all form a P when held or lain down as they are below.

DSCN1400 by Mabeldog1491, on Flickr

Smaller 12in and larger 22 in basic style chokes, the lighter one is a non tarnish steel that has lasted and is still strong, the other a coated aluminum, it has chipped and weakened.

DSCN1401 by Mabeldog1491, on Flickr

Thin show chain, and medium snake (didn't realize my lens was so blurry)
The snake chain is one of few brands that is steel and has the appropriate link strength for regular use,I have found many show styles will break.

DSCN1402 by Mabeldog1491, on Flickr

Fursaver, non coated tarnish resistant steel, no wear or tear to it

DSCN1403 by Mabeldog1491, on Flickr

Wearing a collar 2 inches to big the appropriate way

DSCN1404 by Mabeldog1491, on Flickr

Appropriate sized show compared to slightly to big snake chain, both worn appropriately

DSCN1405 by Mabeldog1491, on Flickr

A much too big but correctly worn basic collar, not where the links are in relation to each other and were the collar rest since it is to big

DSCN1412 by Mabeldog1491, on Flickr

And lastly....the napping queen was not amused by all of the pictures.

DSCN1408 by Mabeldog1491, on Flickr

I always make sure to get the steel as many others are coated aluminum and weaken easily as well as tarnish which in mabels case led to an allergic reaction.
If worn properly and sized right you'll see a noticeable difference in the smoothness of corrections and how the collar sits on the neck in general and goes back to sitting after corrections

Weight is important as well, the smaller breeders like ****zus and dogs under 20lb's are good in light weights
medium for medium breeds like cocker spaniels, collies, labs, dobermans
heavy would be best for mastiffs, bernards and the like.

Measuring: to appropriately have a collar that doesnt fall of the head but fits over it measure your dog at the middle of the neck, at the top will make the collar to small and the bottom to big, especially with dobes.
Also, if you know your dogs buckel collar size, it correlates well, mabel is a 17.5 buckle so we got an 18 choke

Appropriate age: Opinion here varies I'm sure, imo 5/6 months is the appropriate age to start choke chain work, the dog should know enough basic commands by now but need some fine tuning

When to wear: again open to opinion. Some say just in training only, others say as long as they aren't unsupervised, playing with other dogs, or somewhere at high risk for a hangup. I prefer option two
Mabel wears hers most of the day, if she is at daycare or with hannah it is off, and if in the crate or kennel unsupervised it is off for fear of hangups

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Just to add Sam1491 is showing it properly for the dog to be on your left while walking/heeling.
Pete tends to wear his *backwards* since I usually walk him on my right.

If the collar isn't on properly it will not release when you give a correction

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I bought most of my thin confirmation choke chains at a dog show 35 y/o.
They where excellent quality (mabe stainless steel or steel with a shinny nickel content), not like most of the ones sold today...at the pet food stores.
- I think the very best quality choke chains, come out of Germany
- I was taught to put the choke chain on my wrist first...to figure if it was on backwards (or not)...before going on the dog.

Both my dogs, when leashed up, do not try and escape...so the very thin ones, are my perferred choice...and are more than strong enough.
My pups get one on at 8 weeks old, if they don't want to settle down in bed after 5 minutes of playiing soft bite with Dad...I will put my baby finger in the loop and give it a tint correction...I am conditioning the pup to respect the clicking sound of the chain links...and Dad is expecting a obedient change, in their behavor.
- for several years, Amy wore a 3/4" wide nylon collar (with id tag) plus a thin choke chain ---> she went into training mode, when the leash was clipped to her choke chain
- I dislike med. & thick chains...they are harder to release, then the thin ones (just what I was taught...so I never changed to larger chain diameters)

Thks Sam1491 - for taking the mystery out of the selection and proper fitting / and Mabel for being a good sport, as a model.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is his silver choke just a smaller link than the black? or is it a thin snake chain?

Love the black, must disapear nicely against his coloring :)

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
The silver one is a snake, I wanted a black one in a snake chain but I had to settle because it was hard to find. I don't even remember which site I got it from. lol
And yeah, the black is the one I like the most because its invisible ;)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got mabels snake from a favorite vendor of mine (ray's pet supplies or something) I think he had black, but that's the fun of show stuff, finding who has what you want but when you need it.
I love how hers is actually graded strong enough for being able to be used in regular life. :)

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My nerd has 4 chokes in his collection :):lol2:

He's got the modified prong, 2 show, and his fursaver!
LOL - the one on the left...thought for a second, it may of come from a Dominatrix sex shop / (but I am un-edumacated).:devil_1:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought most of my thin confirmation choke chains at a dog show 35 y/o.
They where excellent quality (mabe stainless steel or steel with a shinny nickel content), not like most of the ones sold today...at the pet food stores.
- I think the very best quality choke chains, come out of Germany
- I was taught to put the choke chain on my wrist first...to figure if it was on backwards (or not)...before going on the dog.

Both my dogs, when leashed up, do not try and escape...so the very thin ones, are my perferred choice...and are more than strong enough.
My pups get one on at 8 weeks old, if they don't want to settle down in bed after 5 minutes of playiing soft bite with Dad...I will put my baby finger in the loop and give it a tint correction...I am conditioning the pup to respect the clicking sound of the chain links...and Dad is expecting a obedient change, in their behavor.
- for several years, Amy wore a 3/4" wide nylon collar (with id tag) plus a thin choke chain ---> she went into training mode, when the leash was clipped to her choke chain
- I dislike med. & thick chains...they are harder to release, then the thin ones (just what I was taught...so I never changed to larger chain diameters)

Thks Sam1491 - for taking the mystery out of the selection and proper fitting / and Mabel for being a good sport, as a model.
The wrist, same method in which I was taught. I also use the small snake chain as well as a 1/4 inch buffalo leather leash. On the rare occassion thatI have utilized a pinch collar, it has also been a fine "micro" pinch which I bought over 20 years ago. It is marked Germany but not Herm Sprenger. I do remember it was quite expensive with each additonal link being approx $2.00 BACK then. I know that HS advertises a beautiful single and double strand martingale chain. However, I am not sure if that is acceptable in the obedience ring? I am also a fan of both collars being thinner and smaller plus I also use the smallest leather collars in order to attach tags. I was also told many years ago that the choke chain should not be any larger than 2inches when tightened? Is that still a correct sizing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts