Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week Saturday I stepped into the rally obedience ring for the first time--sure that I was jumping the gun because Hero did well at one match and I promptly entered him into the first show near me. Right after entering him, Hero started getting confused. When I called him forward, he would come, but then started to go into the finish position. I have been retraining him, using treats, but he still is not there yet. Anyhow, he did the forward, sitting crooked in front of me; but he forgot how to finish on the right. That's the only mistake he made; I made the rest. We didn't have the best score, but we passed. I have almost a whole month for the next show. Then I want to finish his third leg at the Doberman Specialty at Tappan Zee.

It was fun; the people were nice, a lot nicer than in the conformation ring. Well, that may because we are not really competing against each other, rather it is the team working together that counts.

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Hey, a Q's a Q! That's what I always say. I mean, I'd love a perfect score, but I'm happy with any Q's we get.

If I might make a suggestion on the call to front? When you do the call to front, have him come, and sit, but don't do a finish every single time. Maybe do a right finish one time, a left finish another, and then, just to be different, call him front, and then you walk around him to heel (which is an advanced excercise, but good practice).

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Rosemary. I will have to give that a try. The thing that messes me up the most with rally is that I can't remember the halts--before or after the exercise. I usually end up doing the opposite. I had a friend print out the signs for me to practice with, but need to get them laminated. I think I am going to have to use them like flash cards if you will, and have my better half quiz me on them.

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Thank you, Rosemary. I will have to give that a try. The thing that messes me up the most with rally is that I can't remember the halts--before or after the exercise. I usually end up doing the opposite. I had a friend print out the signs for me to practice with, but need to get them laminated. I think I am going to have to use them like flash cards if you will, and have my better half quiz me on them.
You can go to the AKC site, and download the regulations for free. They also include copies of the signs, and a "cheat sheet", with explanations of each sign. http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf

ETA: I have copies of all the signs, and keep them in sheet protectors in a binder. You can get cones at Acadamy or Gander Mountain. Just take out whatever sings you want to use, and tape them to the cones for a practice course in your own back yard.

Reactions: Sorceress_Mage

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The next show is at Doggie U in July. It's at the end of the month. I don't want to get up and look for the flyer just now. lol I signed up for the afternoon one for Novice B.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
see you at the end of this month for our tappan zee show!!

Reactions: Sorceress_Mage

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doberkim: I'm sorry. I wasn't talking about the Jersey show, rather the one by Fishkill, the junction one. I don't want to overwork the boy too much. He has won a point for conformation and we are trying to strike while it's hot, if you know what I mean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts