Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rocko Tricks
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1:At what age do i have to crop my Doberman's ears? He is 4 months already.
2: How can i teach my dog to sit from down? he gets confuse with the down and sit command.
3: Sometimes in the house he starts to run like crazy, how can i calm him down?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
1 - at 4 months you're too late to crop.
2 - someone else can help you with sitting from a down, i failed at training my dog that.
3 - take him outside!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
What method are you using to train him? Does he know verbal and hand signals? I would lure with a treat over his nose 3-4 times from a down to a sit, then fade the treat but continue the hand signal. Step towards him as you do it. Give the hand signal for sit as you do it.

Reactions: GingerGunlock

·
Guardian
1,384 Posts
The age to have ears cropped is usually between 6-12 weeks. He is already much too old to have the procedure done. Why didn't the breeder handle cropping?
This breed needs a lot of physical as well as mental stimulation. This isn't your ordinary house Labrador... and is certainly not for the faint of heart.
Adara gave a good tip in the above post.

·
Registered
578 Posts
1.) Far too old to crop. Enjoy the soft natural ears.

2.) How I got Apollo from the down to sit. Train all commands with a hand AND vocal signal until he will do it with it with both on their own. While in the down position use either vocal or hand "sit" command. If he is confused softly put your foot under his chest and push up while repeating the command. Again SOFTLY don't kick or use a lot of pressure, just enough that they feel it. He may jump into the air at first, at least Apollo did, don't reward this. Simply give the sit command and repeat. Apollo got it very quickly.

3.) WALK WALK WALK. Mental training, teach new tricks. Keep him active. Dobermans are super active and can be destructive if bored.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
For pretty much all my commands, I have hand signals as well as vocal signals, and some kind of exaggerated body position/movement, which can be dropped later because it is just to guide them where to go. If you want him to sit up from a down position, you can have a hand signal, and at the same time say "sit", at the same time you kind of scoop your body up in an exaggerated manner, so he knows that you want him up.

Sometimes, they will think you want them to jump up, but the dog will learn that isn't what you want, because they won't get rewarded. Sorry, it is kind of hard to describe on here, but maybe I will try to take a video for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts