Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got our trial pics back from Sypha's L2C (she titled) and our L2V (we got a leg). Thought I'd share them.

I can't remember if I shared the story of the L2C trial or not. We were dog #1 to run in the L2C. On the second "half" of the searches, the first search there was a set of white boxes mixed with plastic boxes. Sypha had had an awesome morning - perfect searching, really accurate, nice searching. So this search, she goes right to the very, very first box in the line up, and she's ALL OVER IT. Mauling the first box. I don't call it (in hindsight, in the video, wow, I feel awful - why didn't I trust my dog???). Anyway, we keep going around, she's working, she finds another box, it's one of the plastic boxes. Somehow, the box literally just...explodes. Top open, the odor q-tips are on the floor, tissue paper is out...I feel bad! She didn't really paw at it or anything, but...clearly these are flimsy dollar store boxes! I call alert, obviously! It's unknown number of hides. We go around again, get back to box one (that she mauled!), alert! (Yes). We keep looking, work until almost time out, call finish, because she is not finding anything else. I tell her she worked hard, good girl! We go on to the next search, which is being judged by the CO. We find everything correctly. CO asks how we did, I tell her we only found 2 in the last search....anyway, go back to the car, put Sypha up, and I go back into the building. I see dog #2 just sitting there. Forever. It turns out that in the first search....somehow odor got...lost? There was supposed to be a third hide! And they knew immediately it wasn't there when Sypha didn't find it. What a trial. It was nuts. Anyway, enjoy the photos.

I exploded this box!

DSC_3125 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Why aren't you calling alert???

DSC_3116 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Seriously???

DSC_3115 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

I'm deeply disappointed in you as a handler.

DSC_3114 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

I mean, for real.

DSC_3112 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

(Different search). So clear!

DSC_2774 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Gimme food!

DSC_2772 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Vehicle trial was rough - rainy. Yuck. But we managed to squeak out a leg. Now we need to get into another L2V and get 75% of the hides to get the title.

Found one!

DSC_1507 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Yum.

DSC_1508 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Zamboni searches are always fun!

DSC_1859 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

Nosework is our favorite sport!

DSC_1866 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
8,989 Posts
Great job Team Sypha ! I do have a question :grin2: So - when Sypha hit right off - Why did you not call it ? Was it because it was the very first box ? Like that was too easy ? to quick ? Not being smart here - just curious , something that we can learn from .

Thanks for the pictures MC !

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great job Team Sypha ! I do have a question :grin2: So - when Sypha hit right off - Why did you not call it ? Was it because it was the very first box ? Like that was too easy ? to quick ? Not being smart here - just curious , something that we can learn from .

Thanks for the pictures MC !
All of the above? It was such an over the top reaction - I was worried she was "playing" with the box, not searching, but in hindsight...I should have trusted her. She'd been working beautifully all day, and I should have trusted that she was already searching. Containers can be...tricky.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,875 Posts
Great pictures MC! Good job Sypha! :nicejob:

It's MN, so logically they'd be conducting the NW trials on an ice rink! :2smile:

...and I'm sure the DEA detection dogs are on guard for crooks sneaking contraband from Canada across the border, driving Zamboni's! >:)

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's even worse when you watch the video, Ken - TRUST YOUR DOG!

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great pictures MC! Good job Sypha! :nicejob:

It's MN, so logically they'd be conducting the NW trials on an ice rink! :2smile:

...and I'm sure the DEA detection dogs are on guard for crooks sneaking contraband from Canada across the border, driving Zamboni's! >:)
Hahahahha.

This trial was way back in the fall. We're really lucky that we have so many great trial locations here and such an active Nosework community.

·
Premium Member
8,989 Posts
Somehow, the box literally just...explodes

After watching the video - I'm on the floor Laughing my rearend off ! Somehow the box explodes ?? Somehow was Sypha's size number 11 paw somehow hitting the box to wake you up :grin2::grin2::grin2:

I'm sorry MC - but that poor girl just trying to get you to call alert on that first box :grin2:

I have re-watched that video ( time 14 seconds ) 5 or 6 times and can't quit laughing ! That box sounded like a bomb went off - I also loved the little play it down look around :grin2::grin2: Like nothing really happened or was it -- did anybody else see that ?? :grin2:

Thanks Meadow for the video ! And give Big Paw a big hug for me :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Somehow, the box literally just...explodes

After watching the video - I'm on the floor Laughing my read off ! Somehow the box explodes ?? Somehow was Sypha's size number 11 paw somehow hitting the box to wake you up :grin2::grin2::grin2:

I'm sorry MC - but that poor girl just trying to get you to call alert on that first box :grin2:

I have re-watched that video ( time 14 seconds ) 5 or 6 times and can't quit laughing ! That box sounded like a bomb went off - I also loved the little play it down look around :grin2::grin2: Like nothing really happened or was it -- did anybody else see that ?? :grin2:

Thanks Meadow for the video ! And give Big Foot a big hug for me :grin2:
It's pretty awful on video to watch her try on that first box...it didn't FEEL that bad in the moment, but wow. Yep. BAD HANDLER.

To be fair on the "exploding" box, it's not like she pawed it over and over or played with it or pounced on it hard - she touched it once, went back to it and...POOF! Pretty flimsy box. I was actually surprised we didn't get a fault, but...I really didn't let her play with it or anything. Yikes. This is probably the strangest search I've ever had. I felt bad afterward (not only that I hadn't called it on box one, but that everything had just gone so...strangely!). And then finding out there was SUPPOSED to be a third hide out there...the hide HAD been out when the "dog in white" ran it, and then somehow before our search it was...gone. This was just a weird, weird trial!

·
Da Boss
3,467 Posts
I was wondering about that exploding box! Sometimes things just happen!
I don't know if I ever shared my story about the great exploding box....We were at our NW2 trial in Indiana and just rocked containers. Newtie always does the thing where he jumps up and gives me his version of a doggy high five after a search (I know Sypha does it too!). Well somehow he ended up landing on one of the containers! It was one of those cheap plastic tool boxes from the dollar store. It exploded everywhere and of course it was the scent box! UGH! They had to delay the trial and clean it all up. I felt awful! The CO was super nice and just told everyone that they had an "exuberant" dog afterwards. We didn't even get a fault! I'm super vigilant now about trying to steer him away from stuff when he celebrates!
Interesting that they lost a hide too! We had the same thing happen in Janesville for vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MC - Was 79 and Newtie there too ?
Nope.

I was wondering about that exploding box! Sometimes things just happen!
I don't know if I ever shared my story about the great exploding box....We were at our NW2 trial in Indiana and just rocked containers. Newtie always does the thing where he jumps up and gives me his version of a doggy high five after a search (I know Sypha does it too!). Well somehow he ended up landing on one of the containers! It was one of those cheap plastic tool boxes from the dollar store. It exploded everywhere and of course it was the scent box! UGH! They had to delay the trial and clean it all up. I felt awful! The CO was super nice and just told everyone that they had an "exuberant" dog afterwards. We didn't even get a fault! I'm super vigilant now about trying to steer him away from stuff when he celebrates!
Interesting that they lost a hide too! We had the same thing happen in Janesville for vehicles.
It was the weirdest! I knew we didn't "do" anything unusual to make it happen :) I actually feel a little better than it happened to you, too!

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
It's pretty awful on video to watch her try on that first box...it didn't FEEL that bad in the moment, but wow. Yep. BAD HANDLER.

To be fair on the "exploding" box, it's not like she pawed it over and over or played with it or pounced on it hard - she touched it once, went back to it and...POOF! Pretty flimsy box. I was actually surprised we didn't get a fault, but...I really didn't let her play with it or anything. Yikes. This is probably the strangest search I've ever had. I felt bad afterward (not only that I hadn't called it on box one, but that everything had just gone so...strangely!). And then finding out there was SUPPOSED to be a third hide out there...the hide HAD been out when the "dog in white" ran it, and then somehow before our search it was...gone. This was just a weird, weird trial!

Wait... the hide was there when the DIW ran the search, but not when you, as the first team in, ran it? How on earth did that happen?

And as for the exploding box, I have several of that type, and they tip over at the slightest of breezes unless weighed down by a couple of pounds of potting soil. They should have taped the tops closed, or something.

·
Super Moderator
21,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait... the hide was there when the DIW ran the search, but not when you, as the first team in, ran it? How on earth did that happen?

And as for the exploding box, I have several of that type, and they tip over at the slightest of breezes unless weighed down by a couple of pounds of potting soil. They should have taped the tops closed, or something.
Correct - there when DIW ran, not there when we (dog #1 to search), ran. The best they could guess is that a volunteer must have moved the box by accident!

·
Premium Member
Mocha
3,593 Posts
Great pics and video, you both look like you're having so much fun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts