Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been taping for like...well EVER. At least a good month and a half. I thought I was done, but their ears started to get a little floppy 3 days later. I retaped.

#1) How long should I leave there ears taped at a time?

I leave them taped for about 3-4 days and then would retape. This last time I left them down for 3 days like I said. Should I be leaving them taped longer? Thier ears get so dirty looking.

#2) What is a dobermans ears sappose to look like when relaxed?

This has really been bugging me. Now thier ears look perfect when they are alert, excited or whatever. But when laxed they look...I don't know not right. They seem too spaced out from each other. And from the side view, they seem to go forward too much. Anyone got pictures? I will take some of the girls ears before I re-tape them next time.

#3) Are the ears sappose to be really stiff when done? Is flopping ok?

Thanks a Bunch.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
A month and a half is definately NOT forever!! It depends on the crop and the dog as to how long you'll be taping. I personally don't leave them taped for more than about 4 days. I want to see whats under the tape, they could be sore and you'd not know it. Some people I know leave them a week. I would never do that. I've seen infected ears from being left taped too long. When they are getting close to standing, I leave them untaped till I see any kind of weakness. Don't leave them till they fall completely.
I've seen them stand at 12 weeks (very unusual) and I've seen people still taping at 12 months and older. Ours are usually thru being posted by around 5 or 6 months.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Post until teething is done! Redo them every 4 days, and only leave the posting off until bedtime, repost before they go to sleep. I've just stopped posting Petey, and I am using breathe right strips...he will be 7 months on the 27th. I'm not sure that his ears are done with the posting yet....we shall see what they do now.

How are you all doing anyway????

Carol

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mensa's ears needed to be posted for six and a half months before we were done. I had them re-posted about every five or six days.

Here are a few pics of what Mensa looks like when her ears are relaxed:

And in this last one, Mensa is holding her ears up, but the tips are flapping in the breeze:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jdd,
It seems like forever I tell ya! I re-tape so often because I was worried about infection, We have already been there once and it was scary. It set us back a bit I'm sure. Also the puppies were done late at 15 weeks.

Carol,
We are all doing great. Like I said I lost my internet for a bit, but I'm good now. The girls are getting really big, really quick! Got any recent pictures of Petey?

Chaz,
Before I noticed you had commented here, I was looking at Mensa's pictures in the gallery. The one with her on the beach, is how the girls look when not alert. They do the one back one forward alot. Though they they can move both back and forth. Thanks for posting these. Now I feel better. I did'nt think they were sappose to stand stright up all the time, but they just looked a bit relaxed too me. I guess they are fine though. BTW, I love the picture titled "Bred for Inteligence" with Mensa drinking out of the toilet!
LOL! too cute!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 weeks is not anywhere close to "taping forever" lol. Patience young Skywalker.
I don't know Julie, I don't think the schwortz is too strong in me! ha ha! I really have no patience. Also, I ran out of Uni-solve tonight and had already started to remove the tape. That stuff is pricy. $16.99 for a box of pre-packaged wipes. They work awesome though. I use like 10 or more wipes on each dog, so I go through a box in 2-3 tapings. It really sucked not having them. Poor dogs are hairless again.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had one girl we were still taping at 9 mos of age :) But just think how gorgeous she'll be when you're done!

Yeah, I know. Maybe they will be done in another month then? lol

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, when I went to retape I found a tick on the bottom of Rowen's bell. Thankfully it's not a deer tick. (which carry Lyme's) Anywho, I really did'nt know what to do, so I looked up on the internet and it said not to put anything on them, to pull with firm pressure with tweezers and that it should release it's mouth parts. Ya right! That sucker did NOT want to come off. Poor Ro-Ro...We pulled and ripped it in half leaving the mouth inside. So I read more and it said that it would come out on it's own. I put peroxcide on it, and left her alone, she was getting pretty sore I imagine. I hate ticks.

Anyway, thier ears are looking good. I cleaned them and let them dry, then put them right back up. Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
dewys ears are done but somtimes on an odd day one will fall in toward the other ear (almost laying on his head) is this normal? or is his ear getting weak?

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
MBR, to reduce the hair loss on the ears, you can try powdering the hair on the ear with a medicated powder like BFI. The tape doesn't stick to the hair that way. My breeder also suggested "goo gone" to remove the tape, if needed as long as you clean it off really good, like with alcohol.

·
Premium Member
10,579 Posts
I don't know Julie, I don't think the schwortz is too strong in me! ha ha! I really have no patience. Also, I ran out of Uni-solve tonight and had already started to remove the tape. That stuff is pricy. $16.99 for a box of pre-packaged wipes. They work awesome though. I use like 10 or more wipes on each dog, so I go through a box in 2-3 tapings. It really sucked not having them. Poor dogs are hairless again.
Hey Mandy,

You really do need to cultivate patience. About the tape removal in particular. You've already had problems with making the ears sore and eventually ended up with an infection because you were removing tape without an appropriate adhesive remover.

It's a lot cheaper to buy Uni-Solve as a liquid rather than wipes--you can then use either cotton balls or gauze pad and the Uni-Solve to remove the tape. If you don't have an adhesive remover you can use plain old cooking oil to soften and remove most adhesive type tapes. It's incredibly messy but at least it doesn't pull all of the hair off. And if you are using the right kind of tape (a low tack type like Johnson and Johnson Coach Athletic tape or Johnson and Johnson--duh--just went blank--the type that vet clinics use) those low tack tapes won't pull off a lot of hair either.

In warm weather I unpost ears in 3 to 4 days--and I leave them down for only as long as it takes for an ear (or both) to start looking floppy. When the weather is cool you can leave them up longer--up to a week.

By the way--your nose is a valuable tool when posting ears--no infection should ever get to the point of being a major problem if you are using a breathable tape (again like the J & J tapes) and if you are sniffing the ears at least a couple of times a day--if you can smell anything other than tape it's time to take them down to see why. Ticks are another matter--but that tick might have shown up 10 minutes after you put them up and is a less than common problem when posting ears.

I said last time around I think you worry too much--relax--it doesn't matter if the tape gets dirty--that's a big so what. And I bet you are removing every bit of tape residue each time you take the ears down--save yourself some money spent on the solvent--just take them down--you'll be putting them back up again--the tape residue doesn't need to be removed each time. I don't bother until I think the ears are nearly done to remove all of the residual adhesive. There's no point and it's not necessary.

And another tip--I always plan on taping through the teething process but when they are through teething and their ears are standing well they will sometimes wake up from naps and from overnight with an ear at half mast. Before you freak out and rush to put it back up wait for a half hour or so--a lot of times you'll find the ear will pop right back up on it's own. If it doesn't in an hour--then put them back up.

And, no--very few cropped dogs carry their ears straight up all the time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sadie is 9 mos and we've been posting since she was like 3! lol We're still posting one ear on her trying to get the results we want from it. It's getting better, it's like one half of her wants to be perfect and the other just wants to aggravate me haha A lot like her actual personality :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I know it feels like the tapoing will never end, but unfortunately that's the price we pay for loving this breed! Seems to me there were even times when Java was 6 mos old when we'd have to re-tape. But once that cartiledge grew strong, she was good to go!

We used the UniSolve and cotton balls. The more comfortable the process is for the both of you (ie. minimal struggling), the better. Java always got a special treat (a bit of roast beef, etc) after taping, so she started associating taping as being, if not a good thing, at least something she would tolerate.

Hang in there. There are some great suggestions posted above, makes me wish I had discovered this site when we first started the taping process. Good luck - this too shall pass and it will be well worth it to see those ears stand tall!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts