Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Do you muffle your clicker like kikopup does in this video?
How to start clicker training your dog- clicker dog training tricks - YouTube

I'm thinking of getting this clicker: Starmark Pro-Training Deluxe Clicker - Dog.com
Does anyone have this one, and is it loud enough that it needs to be muffled?

2. If I wanted to use a cue like "yes" instead of a clicker, would that work just as well? Or is a clicker better for some reason? Can you train both and alternate between saying "yes" and using a clicker (sometimes say the cue and sometimes use the clicker), or does that confuse them?

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I've never muffled my clicker. I know that for some dogs, the click can be very loud and startling.

Before I used a clicker in training, I did use "Yes", and I will occasionally (if I don't have the clicker). Elka seems to know the difference between a "clicker training session", and "reinforcemen in daily life". Or maybe she doesn't, and I just assume she does.

The clicker can be better, because 1. it's a distinct noise 2. (if your timing is good) it happens precisely when you need it do, so your vocal delay doesn't reinforce something else inadvertently. That said, I don't carry a clicker with me wherever I go, so really, it's good to figure out what does best for you.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I don't muffle my clicker, but some dogs are sound sensitive and need a lighter tone. I use both a click and yes (not at the same time) but both work well for me.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I have more attention from Chase with the clicker, so I'm assuming it's a far better way of communicating with him since he really seems to 'get it'.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
That's the clicker I use, and I don't muffle it. Shanoa loves the sound of the clicker - it means rewards are coming. I do also use "yes" as a marker word, but find I get much better results with the clicker. There is some good science about why that is (the sound is completely standardized, no variation in tone, always identical, etc.), but I'm too lazy to find it and link it for you :)

I'm glad you are looking at clicker training! If you want, I can ask my awesome trainer if she has any trainer recommendations up in the Duluth area for when your pup comes home. There are a lot of more "traditional" trainers as you go farther north, and it might be a bit harder to find what you are looking for.

Clicker training rocks!

·
Amanda Albretsen
34 Posts
I love marker training. I have that clicker you are looking at and I actually wish it was louder. My favorite clickers are the i-click clickers. They are loud and clear!

Welcome to Dogwise.com

When I am shaping behaviors (usually always with food first), I use the clicker. Dogs learn really fast with marker training anyway but I find my dogs pick up even faster with the clicker. I think because it is a distinct sound. I also prefer it because my tone of voice doesn't matter - I'm not using my voice. :)

I do however use the word "Yes" for marking behaviors when I train with a toy. I find it can be difficult to use a clicker and toys while training (although I do it sometimes). I teach the clicker and yes the same, click then give a treat or yes then give a treat, over and over until the dog goes crazy for it! :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the helpful responses guys! I'm excited to try clicker training. I don't even have my dog yet, but I could watch kikopup's videos all day! :lol2: I think I will go with the clicker I linked to even though it's not the loudest, because I suffer from constant daily headache (yes, it's just as fun as it sounds), so I'm sensitive to very loud noises.

Nicole, yes please please do ask your trainer about trainers in the Duluth area for me! That would be so helpful! It seems like lot of mindsets tend to become more traditional the farther north you go, and I am not looking forward to that. :/

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Nicole, yes please please do ask your trainer about trainers in the Duluth area for me! That would be so helpful! It seems like lot of mindsets tend to become more traditional the farther north you go, and I am not looking forward to that. :/
Well, unfortunately neither of my trainers knows anyone personally in the area. They suggested these as a starting point to search, with the warning noted:

Home
Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources (use care with trainers here, since not all are positive)

Hopefully you'll find someone great!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, unfortunately neither of my trainers knows anyone personally in the area. They suggested these as a starting point to search, with the warning noted:

Home
Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources (use care with trainers here, since not all are positive)

Hopefully you'll find someone great!
Thank you for asking for me!

Unfortunately there were no Duluth area trainers to be found on either of those sites. :( What luck. I am going to join the Duluth Kennel Club once we move up there, so maybe they will have some leads for me.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Well, shoot. Hopefully you'll get some good recommendations from the club. You can also go observe classes and get a sense of what they are doing - most trainers will let you come and watch a class. You can also do a lot at home using all the online resources for clicker training.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, shoot. Hopefully you'll get some good recommendations from the club. You can also go observe classes and get a sense of what they are doing - most trainers will let you come and watch a class. You can also do a lot at home using all the online resources for clicker training.
I would be fine with doing pretty much all the training myself by following online resources like kikopup. In fact, I think I would prefer that. I do want to at least find some sort of puppy class to help with socialization.
Darn, I wish we were staying in the twin cities area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want a really quiet clicker, try this. They're super easy to use--you can click them in any position, even with your feet (if you drop it) or your chin. And they're a lot more durable than the Starclickers. I had a couple of those and the buttons always fell off after a couple weeks.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Another recommendation for the i-clicker, it's really good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts