Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
** As a back-story, I have been living in AZ since Oct to help my mom through her divorce; my husband and the DoberTwins are back in CO**

Nothing like getting a call from the hubs at 11:30 last night saying he was worried about Arkus. When I asked him to describe his symptoms, we both were panicked that he was in early stages of bloat or torsion (is there a difference?) He wouldn't sit down, and refused to jump up when the ball was being tossed to him (his FAVE activity)

I asked the hubs to check his stomach, gums, water intake, and all were normal. The few things that made us worry were he didn't want to poop, he couldn't lay down and he was walking slightly hunched up. We quickly got on a Skype call so I can see Arkus for myself and he was not acting like himself at all. Sort of dopey, unsure & his profile was off.

Hubs took Arkus to the e-vet and for two hours, they ran all sorts of tests. Xrays, bloodwork, prelim exam, and confirmed that he was NOT bloating (THANK GOD) But they suspected that he injured his spine and/or surrounding tissues. The Vet did the associated radius movement tests and he passed just fine - no issue with head movement or walking.

We knew he rolled over and off the bed last week, and sort of landed on his back, but he was acting fine the last 10 days or so. Do you think this could have affected him so late in the week?

They have him on pain meds & muscle relaxants for the next 10 days.

Have any of you experienced any back injuries with your Dober-kids? Any advice on how to manage going forward?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Torsion is a complication of bloat, when the stomach twists due to the gastric dilation. Thank God it wasn't GDV. My Min Pin actually started signs of bloat a few years back and I had not heard of small dogs getting it. I rushed her to my vet and it was diagnosed not as bloat, but a possible back strain that manifested as abdominal discomfort. Hmmmm. In my experience the first mode of treatment for a back injury for dogs is the same with people. Can you walk? Yes....then first try rest, anti-inflammatory meds, muscle relaxers (if prescribed) and pain meds (if prescribed). If it improves great. If not, go back in and think of X-rays, etc.

It's hard to keep an active Dobe quiet but the crate will be your best friend. If you can avoid stairs and jumping on and off furniture, that helps rest the back too.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you - they ran xrays last night, and we received a follow up call this morning from the radiologist who indicated that everything looked clean.

The only two areas of concern was his liver was small & his spleen was large to enlarged. White cell count is a little low but all in all, his panel came back clean.

Should I be concerned and take him to his regular vet?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think that IF you are STILL concerned and you think a visit to the vet would make you feel better, there's nothing, except perhaps your wallet, that could be hurt in that scenario. If he seems to be doing better than when you took him in, following up with your vet in the time frame given to you by the emergency vet should be fine.

Should I be concerned and take him to his regular vet?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Praying that all goes well with your mom and your dogs.....:)
Arkus is doing great and my parent's divorce will hopefully be resolved in the next 30 days. It's been a LONG 6 months and I'm hoping to get back to Colorado very soon.

THANK YOU for the well wishes. :)

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Dodgerlist.com is a web site for people with dachshunds but has all kinds of information about back problems. Might help to look there Good Luck to your Fur Kid Arkus Rays & Hugs too him too. Patches Mom

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Glad to hear Arkus is somewhat ok. I feel for you having to keep him calm and semi inactive. A very hard task for a doberman!

I had a female dobe jump off the bed while her leg was being held by another dobe once. It seemed like the same symptoms your has. Turned out she pulled her muscle in the top portion of her leg. Healed with rest. (thus I know your pain with the rest thing)

Best of luck with both your furkids and your Mom.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Hope Arkus is feeling better.

Reactions: CoDobe

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
If you are able to confirm the spinal injury diagnosis, then following up with a good dog chiro is my suggestion.

Did they do a CBC?

The abdominal findings would have me worried.

Sorry, not to freak you more than you already are!

Thinking about you guys.

Reactions: CoDobe

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are able to confirm the spinal injury diagnosis, then following up with a good dog chiro is my suggestion.

Did they do a CBC?

The abdominal findings would have me worried.

Sorry, not to freak you more than you already are!

Thinking about you guys.
The e-vet (has seen Arkus twice under different circumstances) indicated that he doesn't think he truly injured his spine based on the prelim battery of tests. We took him to his regular vet the next day (had nail appt) and he checked out okay. He's acting like his regular self and I'm not concerned at this point.

We asked our vet about the spleen/liver and they weren't too alarmed by it. Just said to keep an eye on his demeanor and bring him in if things change.

Stools have been solid, pills have helped, and he's raring' to go. :)

Thank you all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts