Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pup I had picked out had its tail redocked when the ears were croppedat 6 weeks. Momma Doberman would not leave it alone, and irratated it. It was then redone, and Mom again tore the stitches out the day I was to pick up the pup. The breeder was very nice, and offered to return my deposit, offered me another pup of my choice, to keep the pup I wanted until the tail had healed,...basically anything I wanted. I was already in love with my pup, and decided that it was best to have her with me instead of the Mom. (I posted this problem earlier, but not to this extent, and now updating). I was a vet tech, and am home all the time so I felt I knew what would be best for the pup. The breeder refunded part of my cost of the pup to cover additional vet costs that I may incur.
My vet., who I trust, and have used for years, says we must not do surgery on the tail again. Kali, my 9 week old pup, wears a E collar most of the time. I wash the tail, with a nice warm soak in the sink, and some puppy shampoo one daily. My vet is having me apply Silver Sulfadiazine to the tail 2 times daily. This ointment is used on burn victims for healing and protection It looks "angry", but the pup is showing no signs of infection, so my Vet does not think oral antibiotics are indicated. It is still very red/pink with tissue exposed, and looks horrible. The open area is about 1 inch in diameter. I know it is bothering her. Have any of you dealt with a situation like this? If so what did you do? The vet is not calling it a nueroma, but after my research it maybe one. The tissue is not granulated, but is open. This is a new thing for me.
She is a good pup, and her ears are coming along beautiful. I am using the tampon method. I feel horrible that she has to wear the collar, but she will bite her tail raw if she gets a chance. It is extremely uncomfortable for her. :thanx:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kali is about 12 weeks old now. Her tail still has not healed completely. I have been using the burn cream, and a E collar, but as soon as she get the chance she is chewing it open again. It is better than it was a month ago. She does not bother her ears at all. I am taking her to the vets again next week, but I just want to know if anyone has had to deal with this problem before. I keep it very clean, that is the only reason that it has not been infected yet I am sure. She is very good at letting me do what ever I need to do with it. There is still about a inch area that has not closed. No granular tissue is growing.
She is a great puppy. She can sit, and will do a sit stay if I am trying to catch her, she can do a down, and leave it command too. She is extremely calm for a pup, and a little to shy when she greats people. She will often pee when someone new approaches her. I am starting puppy classes on 6/24...they delayed the new puppy class, as I was supposed to start sooner. I am hoping this will help will the socialization.
Thank you for any advice you can give me with this tail issue.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Years ago I had a puppy whose stitches in the tail were ripped out by the mother and I had it redone at cropping time. Again the stitches came out but it did granulate in but it was bothersome to him. I think he was 16 weeks old when I had a different vet redo the dock. I was so glad I did this as it healed in beautifully. I made sure that while it was healing that he wore an E-collar and never had the opportunity to chew at the stitches. Luckily his tail had originally been docked a bit longer so there was enough length to work with.

Jan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. The tail is a little longer so it probably could be redone. I love my Vet., but she does not do tails, or ears...she is againist it. I think I must seek a second opinion for my pups best interest. I am worried that it will get infected, and I know it is itchy. The poor girl has been wearing the E collar almost all the time. That isn't fun for a pup. You should see it. You would laugh, as it has been taped, and fixed multiple times. She will sit so nicely, as I put it on her neck, yet her eyes are begging for me to keep it off. I adore her.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I could not and would not let an open tail continue...

The day after I brought my dobe pup home somehow her tail opened up... It looked horriable and painfull...

5 days later the vet did her ears for us early and closed up the tail with stiches! He did an amazing job and didn't even charge us for the tail work! The vet told us she might lose another bone to fix her tail but, luckley she did not!

Please don't let your pups tail stay open! Please seek medical attention for her tail right away!

I am in Melbourne Florida if you would like a vet name...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts