Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Reba is starting to be kennel aggressive. She has slept in this kennel every night since she was 6 weeks old and has been perfect until 3 days ago. Now any time one of the cats or my other dog walks by she growls and barks snaps at them she has not gotten to them due to having the kennel door locked shut. But I do not want her getting worse I actually want it to stop. Please any help would be amazing thank you.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
She is going through the puberty stage right now so may be very hormonal.

or, she is going to be one of those dogs that dislike other dogs in their sleeping/resting 'space'.

my Stormy's Mom was the sweetest dog, played well with others, never fought, but in her crate or on her blanket she would growl and snap at any dog that came near her. She NEVER did it too humans, just other dogs.

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
You may be seeing something called "barrier frustration" which can escalate. I would recommend contacting a trainer and getting a consult. Personally, I would look for someone who uses positive methods. "Correcting" that type of behavior can often make it worse. I would start a trainer search here: Home and/or here: Dog Trainer Search

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
I agree with MC. If this isn't handled properly you can make it worse. I'd find a trainer to consult before jumping right in and trying to correct her for it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I had a pibble that was this way . we tried multiple trainers and eventually we just learned how to keep in minimized but it never went away

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
This is the girl that was inexplicably peeing, yes? Is the peeing worse? I am wondering if she had such a low-level infection before that the vet didn't find it and now it is more severe and she doesn't feel good. My girl was reactive like this only when she felt poorly or was coming into standing heat... my boy is gone, so I have no need to crate at present, but I suspect she would still exhibit this issue.

If Reba has anything of value in her crate, I would remove it.

Is her relationship with the other animals unchanged provided that she is not in her crate, or is there other new stuff going on?

Does she have the opportunity to "fence-fight" with neighbor dogs?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
As mmctaq stated if an item is in their, that could be stemming the possesivessness/guarding. If she will easily come out when she growls like that and if you have another room to put her in, I would set her up and immediately remove her from the crate and put in other room as a time out. Then put her back and setup again. If she quickly realizes you can take the crate away she might rethink things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes her peeing in her sleep has finally stopped. The only thing i Reba's kennel is her mattress and blanket. Should i take her blanket out? The only thing that has changed recently is I adopted 2 6 month old kittens 3 weeks ago could that maybe it. I have seen Jerry one of the kittens sleeping in there could that affect her?

I have also contacted our trainer and he said just use the canned air. I dont like that because it freaks out my 13 year old cat.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I have also contacted our trainer and he said just use the canned air. I dont like that because it freaks out my 13 year old cat.
This is NOT the approach I'd take myself. It may 'shut her up' but it will do NOTHING to FIX the issue at hand as to WHY she is reacting. I'd honestly find a new trainer who can teach you how to deal with the problem vs the "sound" or noise.

Edited to add - if it were me for now, I'd see if covering her crate helps. It wont "fix" the problem but it might keep her from practicing the bad behavior also. Also I am boarding a BC who "just stalks' the cats a bit when she is loose. Put her behind a baby gate and she goes ballistic. It could be as "simple" as barrier frustration.

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
Two young kittens are much more exciting than an older, more sedate cat, so it could definitely be a factor. Like Adara recommends, get a new trainer.

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK I will do that. I was wondering if I should let her start sleeping with me like i let my other dog or do you all think that the aggression will transfer from the kennel to the bed?

·
Super Moderator
21,988 Posts
I would not move her to the bed. I would also pick up a copy of Jean Donaldson's book, "Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs." It might not be resource guarding, but the steps in that book may work really well for this situation. It's worth a try, especially as the book is very inexpensive and it's very easy to follow with step-by-step instructions. I would still suggest getting a good trainer, though. It's hard to tell what's going on if you aren't there to see it, so a trainer that could come and observe in person would be best.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
OK I will do that. I was wondering if I should let her start sleeping with me like i let my other dog or do you all think that the aggression will transfer from the kennel to the bed?
I would not give more freedoms until the problem is rectified. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: brw1982
1 - 13 of 13 Posts